Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: High Rollers question  (Read 3436 times)

jbrocato

High Rollers question
« on: April 03, 2004, 03:44:06 PM »
On any version of "High Rollers", what happened in either the main game or Big Numbers if all numbers except the 1 were cleared?  Obviously, no good rolls would be possible.

GS Warehouse

High Rollers question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2004, 04:04:53 PM »
[quote name=\'jbrocato\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 03:44 PM\'] On any version of "High Rollers", what happened in either the main game or Big Numbers if all numbers except the 1 were cleared?  Obviously, no good rolls would be possible. [/quote]
I've never seen that happen in the front game, but if it happens in the BN, the game is over and the contestant wins $800.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 04:05:09 PM by GS Warehouse »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
High Rollers question
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2004, 04:59:17 PM »
Correct in the second instance.

In the first instance, one more question would be played.  The winner of the question wins the round, on the assumption that the dice are passed to the other person, who can't make a good roll.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

sshuffield70

High Rollers question
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2004, 06:53:39 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, that actually happened on the Martindale version.

dzinkin

High Rollers question
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2004, 07:00:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] If I'm not mistaken, that actually happened on the Martindale version. [/quote]
 I know the 1 was also left alone in the front game at least once on the Trebek version (78-80 run), because I remember seeing it.  Not sure if it happened in the bonus round there.

zachhoran

High Rollers question
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 07:13:04 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] If I'm not mistaken, that actually happened on the Martindale version. [/quote]
 I don't recall a 1 being the only number left in the maingame on Wink's run, but it did happen a couple of times in the bonus round, and Wink then said naturally that the game was over since there's no way to roll a 1 on two dice.

gameshowguy2000

High Rollers question
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 07:32:15 PM »
That's gotta hurt, especially when playing the FlashGames version.

It's a good strategy to always, always, take out the 1 on your first roll.

I do that, with the fact that leaving the 1 lit will result in an automatic loss anyway.

Mike Tennant

High Rollers question
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2004, 08:54:11 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 07:13 PM\'][quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] If I'm not mistaken, that actually happened on the Martindale version. [/quote]
I don't recall a 1 being the only number left in the maingame on Wink's run, but it did happen a couple of times in the bonus round, and Wink then said naturally that the game was over since there's no way to roll a 1 on two dice.[/quote]
Which is also why Wink always encouraged players to get rid of "that pesky 1" early in the game.

tyshaun1

High Rollers question
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2004, 08:59:54 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 07:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 06:53 PM\'] If I'm not mistaken, that actually happened on the Martindale version. [/quote]
I don't recall a 1 being the only number left in the maingame on Wink's run, but it did happen a couple of times in the bonus round, and Wink then said naturally that the game was over since there's no way to roll a 1 on two dice. [/quote]
 Well gang, you know if Zach doesn't recall it, then it MUST have never happened. ;p

Tyshaun

dzinkin

High Rollers question
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2004, 09:03:52 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 07:32 PM\'] That's gotta hurt, especially when playing the FlashGames version. [/quote]
 Yeah, I'm sure it hurts a lot more playing a friggin' PC game than it would being on the actual show.

Go make some rebuses for Mrs. GameShow.

MikeK

• Martha!
High Rollers question
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2004, 09:06:43 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 07:32 PM\'] It's a good strategy to always, always, take out the 1 on your first roll. [/quote]
 In the Big Numbers, no, it isn't.  Get rid of the single numbers first.  The 1 gives you a better chance at rolling a good number as time continues.  Get rid of that 1 first and you're in bad shape.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
High Rollers question
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2004, 09:10:22 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 05:32 PM\'] It's a good strategy to always, always, take out the 1 on your first roll.
 [/quote]
 I don't agree. As long as the 2, 3, and 4 are still lit, you can take out the other numbers singleton at your leisure, without worrying about the 1.

(At that point, the only bad roll is 11 (assuming you've knocked off everything else), since a 12 is a double and therefore never a bad roll. If you REALLY need to have all bases covered, leave the 5 up too. Me, I'll take the 1 in 18 shot over knocking out the 4-1 and seeing my available good rolls take a nosedive.)

Keeping the 1 up until you need to take it out is a worthy strategy to consider, because you have a LOT more flexibility as long as that 1 is in play. Tha balance, of course, is in waiting too long and rolling something that forces you to leave the 1 singleton and end the game.

So my take is this: Leave the 1 out there as long as you can knock off the 5-9 by themselves (or nail the 5-7 combo with boxcars). As SOON as you have to choose among the 1-4 to knock off the board, take the 1 out with that opportunity if at all possible, and if it isn't, get it at the next available opportunity.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

High Rollers question
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2004, 09:23:20 PM »
However, unless you accumulate an insurance marker or two along the way, it's probably a moot point. If your luck isn't entirely terrible (rolling three threes, for instance), then all you're looking for is your rolls to total 45 (1+2+ ... +9). Say your first six rolls total 38, and you're left with the 7. Or, your first six rolls total 38, and you're left with the six and the one. Either way, a seven is the only "good" roll, so the difference in your winnings will be no more than $100 based on your choice of numbers.

The only exception to that is if you roll a six and have an insurance marker, in which case you'd get another chance, but we're getting into some pretty long odds there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
High Rollers question
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2004, 11:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 07:23 PM\'] Say your first six rolls total 38, and you're left with the 7. Or, your first six rolls total 38, and you're left with the six and the one. Either way, a seven is the only "good" roll, [/quote]
 Or say you were more clever with the way you knocked off the numbers and that seven comes in the form of a 5-2 or a 4-3. INFINITELY more possibilities there.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
High Rollers question
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2004, 12:30:50 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 08:23 PM\'] The only exception to that is if you roll a six and have an insurance marker, in which case you'd get another chance, but we're getting into some pretty long odds there. [/quote]
 Is that right?  I would've thought that you had to take the "6" off, insurance marker or not, because "6" is technically a good roll.  Am I totally misguided, or just somewhat misguided?

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)