Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mr. Game Show  (Read 6570 times)

Pyramid80

Mr. Game Show
« on: April 05, 2004, 09:07:15 PM »
I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's.

BrandonFG

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:24:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 08:07 PM\'] I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's. [/quote]
 I still have the console, and one of the cassettes. It sits in my closet.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

The Ol' Guy

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 09:41:47 PM »
...I'm in! My kids loved it growing up. I also took his advice and didn't quit my day job...

ChuckNet

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2004, 09:55:09 PM »
I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show by Galoob from the mid 80's.

I have one that I won off eBay sometime in '98, still in the box...wanted one for Christmas '87 when it was first released, but didn't get it.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Mr. Game Show
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2004, 10:05:41 PM »
where can i find one? i tried all the stores in the mall and still no luck
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

zachhoran

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 10:08:56 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 09:05 PM\'] where can i find one? i tried all the stores in the mall and still no luck [/quote]
 Flea Markets or Ebay are the two most likely bets, as Galoob stopped production on them a decade-plus ago.

The Ol' Guy

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 10:13:43 PM »
You'll have to scout around. It didn't last long after it's introduction. When I first started working at TRU, there were dozens of Mr. Gs lined up on the shelves and marked down. They were very clever and very pricey (does anyone else remember? I thought the original price was close to $99 or so. Correct me if not). If they were actually sold (as compared to sent back to Galoob for credit), I'd think I would have run into more at flea markets and second hand stores. I've maybe seen one since then.

daveromanjr

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »
I actually have two!  My parents bought me one as a Christmas gift when I was younger (but i hope it was after they were initially released).  Man I had a great time playing with it.  When I came across it while cleaning, it brought back a ton of memories, but he was pretty worn, so I bought a new one on eBay for like $20.  It doesn't work too well (they guy did a pretty awful job boxing it) but I still love it.

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Mr. Game Show
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 10:16:42 PM »
what kind of gadget is it? and what does it do?
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

tommycharles

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 11:05:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Pyramid80\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 08:07 PM\'] I was just curious how many people on the boards have a Mr. Game Show [/quote]
 I'm fairly sure Mrs. Game Show has one :-)

GSWitch

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 11:17:22 PM »
Boy was I a lucky dog!

Whenever going to San Antonio, there's a thrift store that I would always find something cool!  Three times it happened.

1).  A Shakey's Pizza beer mug (original logo with 4 guys as a barbershop quartet).

2).  NAME THAT TUNE home game featuring George DeWitt.  Came with the record album.  Now that's a collector's item!

3).  MR. GAME SHOW!

Craig Karlberg

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 05:16:49 AM »
I had Mr. Game Show as a Christmas present in 1987 or 1988.  It was a blast!  He simply was a replica of a lifelike emcee that talks just like a real gane show host with a podium & a microphone(?).  It contained 5 or 6 plastic playing surfaces used as either a word game or a Simon Says type game.  There was also a cassette containing his voice that asked questions.  Just pop in the tape & away you go in a quiz show style gane.  Sometimes when you stop the tape, he starts talking again & just won't shut up even if you started the tape again.  I'm not sure where it is now.  It's probably collecting dust at my mom's house.

TPIRkid79

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 04:16 AM\'] I had Mr. Game Show as a Christmas present in 1987 or 1988.  It was a blast!  [/quote]
So did I, Craig! I got Mr. Game Show for X-mas in 1987 too! I and my late father usually played "Famous Phrases" which was played like Wheel of Fortune. You spin the lights, and you guess a letter and if you're right, you write the letter in the blinking boxes. Everytime you're wrong, Mr. GS says "Don't quit your day job yet!" or "Dig a hole and crawl in!" And if your guess time runs out, he says "No guess, no guts!". I remember Mr. GS had four games. Famous Phrases, On the Button, Watch the Word, and The Cassette Game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:03:03 AM by TPIRkid79 »

GS Warehouse

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »
[quote name=\'TPIRkid79\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:02 AM\'] So did I, Craig! I got Mr. Game Show for X-mas in 1987 too! I and my late father usually played "Famous Phrases" which was played like Wheel of Fortune. You spin the lights, and you guess a letter and if you're right, you write the letter in the blinking boxes. Everytime you're wrong, Mr. GS says "Don't quit your day job yet!" or "Dig a hole and crawl in!" And if your guess time runs out, he says "No guess, no guts!". I remember Mr. GS had four games. Famous Phrases, On the Button, Watch the Word, and The Cassette Game. [/quote]
 "Ouch!  You're busted.  Come on, hand over your money, DH!"

"You win $1,600.  Heck, I spend more than that on hair tonic!"

"You'll get them next time, MO."

I used to have one, but it's relegated to storage in the garage.

Pyramid80

Mr. Game Show
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »
Wow, several people have them.  I bought one a couple of years back on eBay.  My Gus doesn't move around a whole lot.  He moves his mouth but his eyes, head and arms sort of stay in the same place.  I was wondering if anyone who bought one new had any trouble with it.