Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hollywood Squares Email  (Read 4363 times)

Matt Ottinger

Hollywood Squares Email
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2004, 03:05:57 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 02:15 PM\'] A lot of people think the jokes from the Whoopi era of h2 are lame(myself included). Anyways, if i get anymore to pass along, you'll see it here. [/quote]
 But it's a law-of-averages issue.  One of the things that surprised a lot of people when the old Marshall shows got unearthed is how few really good jokes any one episode contained.  The examples in your list are a few dozen gags culled from thousands of shows.  

I also bet I could pull some jokes from any episode of the "lame" current version, pretend Vincent Price or Rose Marie said them, and they wouldn't seem out of place at all on one of your lists.  If you don't LIKE Whoopi or Gilbert or Bruce, that's one thing.  But the current version, show for show and gag for gag, was probably the funniest version of Squares ever.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

Hollywood Squares Email
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2004, 03:30:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 5 2004, 01:05 PM\'] But the current version, show for show and gag for gag, was probably the funniest version of Squares ever. [/quote]
 OK, arguable but a logical argument. I will claim that the current H2 had the single-funniest Squares event ever, summed up in two words: "You fool!"
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

PeterMarshallFan

Hollywood Squares Email
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2004, 03:41:15 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 4 2004, 01:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 3 2004, 09:55 AM\'] The truth is that every version of Squares has had a combination of carefully scripted gags and clever ad-libs from funny people. [/quote]
I thought the MG/HS Hour didn't... and that the lack of scripted gags was part of the reason why it didn't work. [/quote]
 ...which also led to frequent bookings of standup comics, such as Jay Leno and Arsenio Hall.

wdm1219inpenna

Hollywood Squares Email
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2004, 10:26:40 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with Dr. Bear.  While I work nights and haven't had many opportunities to watch the Bergeron version of Squares, I did see the "YOU FOOL!" episode on Y2K eve, and I just about split a gut.  

However, growing up in the 70s, and seeing the old Marshall Squares again, there's no comparison.  Marshall's rocked big time.  

Regards,
Bill McD.