Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy book is out!  (Read 2544 times)

passwordplus

Jeopardy book is out!
« on: April 06, 2004, 10:38:52 AM »
So, has anybody had an order Fed-Ex'ed and read any of it yet?  Supposedly, it's only 9.95 at Barnesandnoble.com(I guess same price for the one in store also IIRC).

aaron sica

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 11:59:54 AM »
While shopping last night, I saw the book in Barnes and Noble.

I definitely think it's worth a buy, it's got lots of color pictures in it of the various sets, the highest money winners for the season, Alex's mug throughout the years, etc...

It's got a good bit of sample answers and questions from various episodes, but not so much that it overtakes the book..

goongas

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 12:51:48 PM »
I saw it in Barnes and Noble three weeks ago.  The book was ok.

Peter Sarrett

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 08:58:34 PM »
From the blurb on bn.com:

Celebrate the 20th anniversary of America's favorite quiz show with this official companion featuring a foreword by Alex Trebek along with 400 final Jeopardy! clues hand-picked by the show's writers from the nearly 300,000 they've created for the show in the past two decades.

By my math, even if a new Jeopardy! episode aired every day for the past 20 years, that's still only 7300 Final Jeopardy clues, not 300,000.  Jeopardy! writers may have created nearly 300,000 Jeopardy! clues, but not Final Jeopardy! clues.  

There are few things that turn me off a book more than sloppy editing like this.  Especially in a book about Jeopardy!, the devil is in the details.

goongas

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 09:01:31 PM »
Some people on the jeopardy.com message board found minor errors in it.  The author of the book apologized in the same thread.

carlopanno

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2004, 05:46:58 PM »
I found the book thin and superficial, but not bad if you are a serious fan who has never, ever read anything about Jeopardy! before.

I was disappointed not to be included in the honor roll of show marriages (I met my wife when we were contestants in 1978 and got married the week I started working there) but mightily amused to hear that Michele Silverman and Lance Loud were married. If I remember correctly, Michele Silverman was married to Gary Johnson when I worked with them at Jeopardy! and The Challengers in 1998-1991, and Lance Loud was out-of-the-closet gay, or at least he was when he was a part of the pioneering PBS reality series An American Family in the early '70s. (Or maybe it was just a phase. Loud died a couple of years ago, so it's too late to ask him, unfortunately.)

That smacks of put-on to me.

--C
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 05:48:08 PM by carlopanno »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 05:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'carlopanno\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 02:46 PM\'] That smacks of put-on to me.
 [/quote]
 On a related subject, I think I'll go shave my beard. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

carlopanno

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 09:09:21 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 04:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'carlopanno\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 02:46 PM\'] That smacks of put-on to me.
 [/quote]
On a related subject, I think I'll go shave my beard. :) [/quote]
 Good point, and one that hadn't occurred to me.  A Google search on Lance Loud, however, turned up no mention of a marriage, in-name-only or any other kind.

I'm sticking with put-on.

--C

uncamark

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 12:09:12 PM »
[quote name=\'carlopanno\' date=\'Apr 8 2004, 04:46 PM\']I found the book thin and superficial, but not bad if you are a serious fan who has never, ever read anything about Jeopardy! before.

I was disappointed not to be included in the honor roll of show marriages (I met my wife when we were contestants in 1978 and got married the week I started working there) but mightily amused to hear that Michele Silverman and Lance Loud were married. If I remember correctly, Michele Silverman was married to Gary Johnson when I worked with them at Jeopardy! and The Challengers in 1998-1991, and Lance Loud was out-of-the-closet gay, or at least he was when he was a part of the pioneering PBS reality series An American Family in the early '70s. (Or maybe it was just a phase. Loud died a couple of years ago, so it's too late to ask him, unfortunately.)

That smacks of put-on to me.
[/quote]
According to the current credit list on the web site, *Grant* Loud is listed as a production manager--and is the only name of a "Loud"--and a name from "An American Family," in particular--that I recall on the "J!" credits.

But the credit list still has Steve Dorfman's name on it, too.

carlopanno

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2004, 09:22:19 PM »
Aha! A new Google search turned up Lance Loud talking about Grant Loud working on Jeopardy! (also Lance's sister Delilah working at KingWorld, which I knew but I thought was irrelevant so I never mentioned it) so now I'm wondering if I read that part of the book wrong and it did say "Grant Loud" instead of "Lance Loud."

I'll have to look again.

--C
still pissy about not being in the book. I was there five years, for crying out loud...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 09:24:56 PM by carlopanno »

carlopanno

Jeopardy book is out!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 01:53:58 AM »
Oh crap.

I looked again.

It's Grant Loud.

--C
shutting up now.