Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NBC Game Shows  (Read 11675 times)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
NBC Game Shows
« on: April 06, 2004, 01:12:39 PM »
i like wordplay; wordplay was the funniest game show of all on NBC; even if it lasted 8 months.  i hope GSN can get the rights/
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

J.R.

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:58:05 PM »
Oh, that is tough. NBC Shows are my favorite (And hold a majority in my collection). I guess if I was forced to choose, I'd pick: Classic Concentration.

Wordplay was okay. Only thing realy good about it was Tom Kennedy. Everything else about it was corny and faked. (Is it me or did the Wordplay set looked a lot like $otC's set ?)

I doubt you'll ever see Wordplay on "Spenny! The All New GSN". Espcially since it's a NBC show.
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Pyramid80

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 02:11:43 PM »
I would have to go with Super Password and Scrabble.  Sorry I couldn't pick just one.

bulldog_06

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 02:18:27 PM »
I'll have to go with Classic Concentration and Scrabble, I mean you can't just pick one game because there were a lot of favorites.

The Ol' Guy

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 02:19:03 PM »
Damn being an old guy! You mean I have to pick ONE show from original Concentration, Say When, Blockbusters, Eye Guess, You Don't Say, Call My Bluff, Hollywood Squares and Chain Letter???
I guess if it were the one show I would alter my schedule to catch, it would be Blockbusters. And may I start by donating the first 80 cents to the Clone Bill Cullen Project.....

and geez, the more you mention, the more I liked....
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 10:07:36 PM by The Ol' Guy »

JacksonBrowne1980

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 02:35:07 PM »
you can choose more than one if you want; my other favorite game show on NBC was $otc; i watched it at 3pm every day
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

1978-Jeopardy

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 03:59:55 PM »
It's a toss-up between Card Sharks, Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, and Celebrity Sweepstakes. Funny that these shows all have appeared on a network other then NBC in some form or another.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
NBC Game Shows
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 04:22:02 PM »
Chain Letter
With Jan Murray?

Word Play was but a ripoff of a G-T show which had been done 20 years prior: Call My Bluff.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 04:37:04 PM by chris319 »

Jimmy Owen

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 04:39:48 PM »
Was that particular format (celebrities define an obscure word) in the public domain?  At least four different shows in the US and two in Canada used that general idea, not to mention "Liar's Club," which I consider a slight variation.  My favorite NBC shows were "Personality" and "Three on a Match"
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 04:42:10 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

JacksonBrowne1980

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 04:42:13 PM »
NBC should have kept their game shows in production until at least 2000
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

alfonzos

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 04:48:08 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed Wordplay but I found it derivative and not well thought out. The game favored the second player in each round and yet the low scorer always began each round. The lightning round has the celebrities as spectators. Surely, one could have been called over the assist the winner?

Anyway, back on-topic. NBC had a long and glorious history of game shows when it was number one in daytime. I remember games from ten a.m. until one p.m. Eastern and rarely a klinker (Fractured Pharses, Reach for the Stars). My nod is to Concentration although Classic Concentration had some nice touches.

Alfonzo Smith
A Cliff Saber Production
email address: alfonzos@aol.com
Boardgame Geek user name: alfonzos

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
NBC Game Shows
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2004, 06:11:58 PM »
Considering one of my most favorite shows of all time is "Super Password", well...there you go. "Scrabble" and "Classic Concentration" are pretty darn close too.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

tommycharles

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2004, 06:29:12 PM »
[quote name=\'JacksonBrowne1980\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 03:42 PM\'] NBC should have kept their game shows in production until at least 2000 [/quote]
 Why? Really....that has to rank up there with the posts about Sony getting rid of Oprah and Dr. Phil to keep Squares on the air. Why in the world would they keep them on the air if no one was watching???

zachhoran

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2004, 06:33:54 PM »
[quote name=\'1978-Jeopardy\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 02:59 PM\'] It's a toss-up between Card Sharks, Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, and Celebrity Sweepstakes. Funny that these shows all have appeared on a network other then NBC in some form or another. [/quote]
 All runs of Squares were either on NBC or in syndication, ditto for Sweepstakes.

The Ol' Guy

NBC Game Shows
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 07:54:18 PM »
yessir, Chris, with Jan Murray. I'm sure that show wouldn't even make a top 100 list in some peoples' minds, but somehow, between my age when it was on, the interesting concept (I'm always a sucker for word games), the bright theme song and Jan's restrained hosting, it's a pleasant memory. Heck, I can't see it doing well now because who today knows how to spell?? Maybe I should ask Monty if he's kept any of the production materials from the show and revive a box game version for myself. After all, how many of the "party" games that flooded the toy stores after Trivial Pursuit hit big were formats stolen from old TV games that were long forgotten by then? Plenty.

PS - Just saw a picture of Jan and his wife recently taken at a birthday party for popular 50s crooner Tony Martin. He looked well and happy. Must be still earning a lot of interest from the bucks Barris gave him for his old shows...

Oh..and now I think I see why you asked, friend - since a certain Bob Stewart show was never shown on our local affiliate, and only seeing it in the old CBN/USA re-runs, yes, I would also have to add Chain Reaction to the list. I never immediately think of Reaction as an NBC show...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 09:00:49 PM by The Ol' Guy »