Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Kline And Friends Game Shows  (Read 5581 times)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Kline And Friends Game Shows
« on: April 06, 2004, 04:56:14 PM »
i liked break the bank 1985, strike it rich 1986, and the joker's wild 1990.  these were good shows; gsn should get the rights to them
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

J.R.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 06:46:54 PM »
Oh, Break the Bank... the show that made a mockery out of Gene Rayburn that had grown men and women run around like manaics trying to complete embarassing stunts for luxerious prizes like a pair of Binoculars.

TJW 90: First Defintion, Last Defintion, First Defintion, Last Defintion, First Defintion, Last Defintion, First Defintion, Last Defintion...

In short, don't say I didn't warn you of our rep as guys with Acid Tounges.
-Joe R.

(PS: As you know, The Game Show Forum is a message board of definitons)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 06:49:14 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

gsnstooge

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 06:58:03 PM »
I liked TJW '90 too.  I also remember watching the Master PUzzle with Farago on BTB '85. Despite not recalling watching an episode with Gene.  I still prefer the master puzzle over the stunt format.

zachhoran

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 07:11:14 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 05:46 PM\'] Oh, Break the Bank... the show that made a mockery out of Gene Rayburn that had grown men and women run around like manaics trying to complete embarassing stunts for luxerious prizes like a pair of Binoculars.

[/quote]
 Shop Till You Drop(save for this season) had stunts just as uninspired.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
...okay, I'll risk getting hit by tomatoes or being temporarily banished to the TTD 90 tomb...Strike It Rich wasn't that bad. Joe G. was a bit hokey...think of it as a "horizontal Press Your Luck" ("no bandit! no bandit! STOP!!")..and the last incarnation of Break The Bank with the other Joe was somewhat watchable..if only because it had the feel of Seven Keys. Maybe one of the big problems was making both shows self-contained. You had to go through a lot of fluff and drag to fill up the half hour with one game - heck, they should whip through the games and if necessary, straddle. Strike It Rich should have been sped up. At least one person will jump me, but S-I-R had one of my favorite Hidey themes, too. A major thumbs down, however, to his JOKER '90. Sorry, kid.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2004, 08:18:17 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 08:46:33 PM »
Never saw "Strike It Rich;" of the K&F shows I have seen my fave was "Win, Lose or Draw."
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

WorldClassRob

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2004, 09:07:47 PM »
Break The Bank and The Joker's Wild '90 were my favorites.

I still feel though that TJW 90 should have stuck to the old format as before instead of the format they had.

First definition... last definition... hey, Definition is in Canada, Richard.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2004, 09:29:53 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 05:09 PM\'] At least one person will jump me, but S-I-R had one of my favorite Hidey themes, too.
 [/quote]
 I got yer back on this one. I liked SIR just fine, and it's a theme I would love to see resurrected someday.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2004, 11:11:28 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 05:09 PM\'] At least one person will jump me, but S-I-R had one of my favorite Hidey themes, too.
 [/quote]
I got yer back on this one. I liked SIR just fine, and it's a theme I would love to see resurrected someday. [/quote]
 SIR had one of the worst musical packages I have ever heard for a show.  The opening and closing themes are mediocre, but all of the other cues stink.

Brandon Brooks

tommycharles

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004, 11:12:52 PM »
I'll fully admit to liking Strike it Rich/Lucky, but that's because I grew up with Michael Barrymore doing it, and for some reason you're a whole lot less critical about yer game shows when you're a child :-p

Were there any discernable differences in game play between the U.S. and U.K. versions?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2004, 11:27:47 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:12 PM\'] I'll fully admit to liking Strike it Rich/Lucky, but that's because I grew up with Michael Barrymore doing it, and for some reason you're a whole lot less critical about yer game shows when you're a child :-p

Were there any discernable differences in game play between the U.S. and U.K. versions? [/quote]
 The endgame is close, 'cept you guys had three teams, and chose 2, 3, or 4 answers out of a board of six instead of 1, 2, or 3 out of 5, our arch was seven screens long instead of 10, and you had the Hotspot instead of the Bandit.

Your bonus was totally different.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 11:17:30 AM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 10:11 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 08:29 PM\'] [quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 6 2004, 05:09 PM\'] At least one person will jump me, but S-I-R had one of my favorite Hidey themes, too.
 [/quote]
I got yer back on this one. I liked SIR just fine, and it's a theme I would love to see resurrected someday. [/quote]
SIR had one of the worst musical packages I have ever heard for a show.  The opening and closing themes are mediocre, but all of the other cues stink.
 [/quote]
Were there two versions of the closing theme? I know Brian Karimzad's page had one version, which I found really catchy. Then there was another version that I think John Chartier put on his site a couple of years ago, but that one was really repetitive and actually somewhat annoying.

As for favorite K&F show, it's a tie between Win, Lose or Draw and Pictionary (basically the same show).
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

tyshaun1

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2004, 11:23:58 AM »
Personally, I liked Three's Company.

Tyshaun

Oh wait- The OTHER Richard Kline? Well in that case, I'd have to say Strike It Rich, since it had a lot of PYL elements in it, right after PYL ended on CBS, and before it's start on USA.

zachhoran

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2004, 11:33:46 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 10:23 AM\']

Oh wait- The OTHER Richard Kline? Well in that case, I'd have to say Strike It Rich, since it had a lot of PYL elements in it, right after PYL ended on CBS, and before it's start on USA. [/quote]
 WCAU in Philly(then CBS, now NBC) and WCBS in NYC both placed SiR86 on their schedule upon the ending of PYL on 9/29/86, 9:30AM EST on WCAU and Noon EST on WCBS.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2004, 01:17:21 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 7 2004, 10:33 AM\']
Oh wait- The OTHER Richard Kline? Well in that case, I'd have to say Strike It Rich, since it had a lot of PYL elements in it, right after PYL ended on CBS, and before it's start on USA.
WCAU in Philly(then CBS, now NBC) and WCBS in NYC both placed SiR86 on their schedule upon the ending of PYL on 9/29/86, 9:30AM EST on WCAU and Noon EST on WCBS. [/quote]
 Umm...OK, Zach.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!