Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: To Anyone Interested In Game Show Themes  (Read 4764 times)

Skynet74

To Anyone Interested In Game Show Themes
« on: April 10, 2004, 10:35:06 AM »
Hi People. I'm back from the land of the lost. Sorry about the April Fools Day prank. That's what happens when you directly access The Big Board each day and never visit the other areas of the site..... specifically, the one with the guidelines!  ;-) Who would of expected that my joke about a permanent announcer being hired by TPIR would actually happen in the same week! Wasn't as funny when it came from Fremantle though. Sorry Randy. You deserved better then what you got. Your talents will continue to take you far. Everything happens for a reason. One day the reason for this may become obvious to you. Good Luck and future success my friend.

NOW ONTO IMPORTANT BUSINESS.

The following post was a response I e-mailed to someone yesterday regarding obtaining some New Game show themes. There are Power in Numbers. So I figured that if we have more than one person working on this, perhaps we can get some New Themes in circulation amongst us in the near future.

----------------------

Actually I don't think Dream House was done by Score Productions
contrary to what you may have heard. They sent me a list of all there
themes once and Dream House was nowhere to be found. In the BMI database
they list Peter Dino as the composer along with a list of all the music he
did for the show. Details here http://tinyurl.com/33ct2 .

Pitfall Info can be found here http://tinyurl.com/2asbu .

original Cross-wits was Buddy Kaye, Ronnie Kaye and Philip Springer. Hal
Hidey might have done one of the versions of the theme, but rumor has it
he does not remember ever doing it. However he is credited here
http://tinyurl.com/ywx6a  *PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ASCAP DATABASE TIMES OUT. SO UNFORTUNATELY THIS LINK WILL PROBABLY JUST TAKE YOU TO THEIR SEARCH PAGE. SO ENTER MANUALLY FOR CORRECT INFO.

New Let's Make A Deal 1979 is rumored to have been Stan Worth, but I can't
confirm. There are so many different versions of the theme listed in the
BMI database that I have no way of knowing. They don't list years. Might
have to contact Monty Hall about this one.

The BMI site says that they have a toll free number for you to get
contact information about the composers. I just haven't had time to call.
If you are up to it and can score any of this music then just let me know.
You would hit the trading jackpot with me if you could offer me any of
this stuff.

* Add The "All New Dating Game" - Elayne Joyce/Geoff McGregor and Whew! with Tom Kennedy to that list. Milton DeLugg recently sent me a letter telling me that Chuckie Baby (Not you Mr. Donegan) :-) sold all that Dating Game stuff to Sony, so contact them. Of course the music from Whew! is questionable. Does a copy still exist or not? I find it highly unlikely that anyone would destroy Master tapes. I also doubt that no one else in the free world would not at least have a copy. It's in a draw or Box somewhere in the good old USA. I'll find it! Gloria Loring fired off an e-mail telling me she doesn't have those tapes and did not have any part in writing that. Then she offered me "Different Strokes and Facts Of Life." Thanks Gloria...... but I'll pass.

I appreciate any leg work you guys can do based on the information I've provided.

thanks,

John Chartier
Skynet74@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 10:36:00 AM by Skynet74 »

JamesVipond

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 11:44:38 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 09:35 AM\']original Cross-wits was Buddy Kaye, Ronnie Kaye and Philip Springer. Hal Hidey might have done one of the versions of the theme, but rumor has it he does not remember ever doing it. However he is credited here http://tinyurl.com/ywx6a  *PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ASCAP DATABASE TIMES OUT. SO UNFORTUNATELY THIS LINK WILL PROBABLY JUST TAKE YOU TO THEIR SEARCH PAGE. SO ENTER MANUALLY FOR CORRECT INFO.
[/quote]

Didn't Andrew Belling also compose a CrossWits theme?
"He has big eyes ... and they're BLUE!"

-- a boy describing Bill Cullen on Child's Play

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »
[quote name=\'JamesVipond\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 11:44 AM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 09:35 AM\']original Cross-wits was Buddy Kaye, Ronnie Kaye and Philip Springer. Hal Hidey might have done one of the versions of the theme, but rumor has it he does not remember ever doing it. However he is credited here http://tinyurl.com/ywx6a  *PLEASE NOTE THAT THE ASCAP DATABASE TIMES OUT. SO UNFORTUNATELY THIS LINK WILL PROBABLY JUST TAKE YOU TO THEIR SEARCH PAGE. SO ENTER MANUALLY FOR CORRECT INFO.
[/quote]

Didn't Andrew Belling also compose a CrossWits theme? [/quote]
 Yes, the 1986 version.

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 06:26:31 PM »
Yes I just received the New Crosswits package this week. Nice music, but the original is still my favorite.

John

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 06:48:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 06:26 PM\'] Yes I just received the New Crosswits package this week. Nice music, but the original is still my favorite.

John [/quote]
Any TPIR cues?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 06:49:19 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Skynet74

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 07:45:49 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 05:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 06:26 PM\'] Yes I just received the New Crosswits package this week. Nice music, but the original is still my favorite.

John [/quote]
Any TPIR cues? [/quote]

I wish! I'm currently negotiating some deals for other music. However I do not have any new price Music. Wheel of Fortune packages and other Goodson tracks are a definite possibility though. I love to trade and I wish that we all had everything we wanted. However due to an increasing concern about certain music falling into the wrong hands, I will not trade with anyone who I feel can't be trusted. It is also my personal policy to never again post Music on the internet and I will keep all trades private unless I have permisson otherwise. More and more traders are making this request. I will happily oblige. It makes it a better trading atmosphere for all.

thanks,

John

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 08:35:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 07:45 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 05:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 06:26 PM\'] Yes I just received the New Crosswits package this week. Nice music, but the original is still my favorite.

John [/quote]
Any TPIR cues? [/quote]

I wish! I'm currently negotiating some deals for other music. However I do not have any new price Music. Wheel of Fortune packages and other Goodson tracks are a definite possibility though. I love to trade and I wish that we all had everything we wanted. However due to an increasing concern about certain music falling into the wrong hands, I will not trade with anyone who I feel can't be trusted. It is also my personal policy to never again post Music on the internet and I will keep all trades private unless I have permisson otherwise. More and more traders are making this request. I will happily oblige. It makes it a better trading atmosphere for all.

thanks,

John [/quote]
 If you do get any TPIR cues, I hope they aren't from the 94 package.

Not that they are bad, but some classic stuff would be nice.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

DJDustman

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 08:52:05 PM »
Is Love Connection around anywhere?  Neat theme there.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2004, 01:12:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 05:26 PM\'] Yes I just received the New Crosswits package this week. Nice music, but the original is still my favorite.

John [/quote]
 While I don't wish to be offensive; the Crosswits theme from '86 was one of the most tinny-sounding themes I've heard in my life.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Skynet74

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 12:12 AM\']
John [/QUOTE]
While I don't wish to be offensive; the Crosswits theme from '86 was one of the most tinny-sounding themes I've heard in my life. [/quote]

You know..... more than any other theme you can probably tell that The New Crosswits theme was just produced by one guy Guy with a Casio. It's very electronic sounding. However I feel he did a decent job. The original Crosswits from 1975 was also tinny sounding. Very cheap sounding. Not a whole lot of substance. Just another theme produced on a keyboard. However in 1977 they revamped the theme, jazzed it up with lots of brass and made it come alive! That's when the theme truly became great. They revamped the theme one more time in 1979 and jazzed it up even more.

That's one thing I really liked about the Crosswits. It wasn't a stale show by any stretch of the imagination. They would always make Cool set changes and fresh music changes every couple of years. But these changes never made the show feel like it was getting away from itself. It was always a suttle change as if to say "Hey People.... It's A New Season... Look what we did over the summer. We got some Cool new music for you (or) look at the floor. We changed the tile." In the last season they changed the host doors from opening up Match Game style to actually swinging open inward like French Doors. It was really neat. So there was never any mistaking when the new Cross-wits season would begin in September. Within the first 10 minutes you would notice something different.

Jay Leno used to even have a joke where he mentioned that he couldn't do something important because he had to run home and watch Cross-Wits. lol. It's a shame the series was never rerun anywhere. It's one of those shows that would have a ton of new fans if GSN could actually get the rights. Unfortunately many here are to young to remember it and will never get the chance to see it. That's a shame because it was really a cool show. That 20 minute tape in existance on the trading circuit does this great series no justice. The New version in 1986 didn't do it justice either. It just didn't feel the same. You really had to just see the program in it's original 5 year run to truly feel what an awsome show it was.

John

sshuffield70

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 03:20:04 PM »
I don't know the last time that the Cross-Wits reruns were available.  Dallas got the last year of the series in 1981 (and it lasted around a year.)

Skynet74

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 12:43:08 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 02:20 PM\'] I don't know the last time that the Cross-Wits reruns were available.  Dallas got the last year of the series in 1981 (and it lasted around a year.) [/quote]

Same in Providence. Cross-wits used to air at 7PM followed by Face The Music at 7:30. Then those two shows ended up being replaced by Tic Tac Dough and Family Feud. For the last 20 years it has been Wheel Of Fortune and Jeopardy in those time slots. WPRI Channel 12 in Providence has always made the 7-8 PM time slot the hour of Games. It's Something that hasn't changed since the Debut of The Cross-wits in 1975. At least some things in television remain stable.

John