Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR: Thoughts about the Showcase Showdown  (Read 8768 times)

ClockGameJohn

TPIR: Thoughts about the Showcase Showdown
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2004, 04:01:42 PM »
Worked for me!  :)

fsk

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2004, 07:40:06 PM »
You can actually calculate the "optimal" strategy for each player.  It's pretty straightforward to calculate it in Excel.  The 3rd spinner should spin again if he hasn't won already (or tied on $.45 or less).  The 2nd spinner should spin again on $.55 or less.  The first spinner should spin again on $.65 or less.  Of course, actual contestants don't play optimally, plus you get the occasional person who tries to aim the wheel.  The odds don't really change for the MDS - the bonus spin is worth more, but qualifying for the showcase is worth more.

Speaking of the MDS, shouldn't someone who just misses the $1,000,000 get more than $5,000 as a consolation for the green section?  This has already happened at least twice, and landing on the green section seemed to be a big disappointment.

starcade

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2004, 05:49:28 PM »
It's probably one of the reasons they made it the $1M gimmick on the prime-time specials now.  Make the SSD mean something!!

As for me, maybe put it up to $25K for the bonus dollar, and make it mean something more.  Now, it seems that the SSD is only the qualifier, at $10K stakes.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2004, 01:07:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' date=\'Apr 9 2004, 09:38 AM\'] Really?  Then why not have the top winner from each half spin first, if that's the advantageous position.

[/quote]
 Which is what the '94 version did, I believe.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2004, 02:32:35 AM »
Let me say this to Zach in Mr. Game Show terms:

"Dig a hole & crawl in ZH".
Let me say this in Executive Producer terms: you may find Zach's minutiae posts inane, but he has the right to post them and you don't have the right to bash him for it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 02:35:13 AM by chris319 »