Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three rows on Strike it Rich?  (Read 9524 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Three rows on Strike it Rich?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
Does anybody know where I could find a pic of the pilot?
From Broadcasting magazine, page 3 or so.
Two pages down from there is an ad for Break the Bank.  It says that Joe Farago and the new format raised ratings by 30% in New York...am I correct that the show was off the air in the fall?  

Since it was from the same syndicator, were they looking to pair these up, or was Strike it Rich being groomed as the replacement?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

BrandonFG

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
Two pages down from there is an ad for Break the Bank.  It says that Joe Farago and the new format raised ratings by 30% in New York...am I correct that the show was off the air in the fall?  

Since it was from the same syndicator, were they looking to pair these up, or was Strike it Rich being groomed as the replacement?
Correct. Break the Bank was one and done. Not sure if Blair wanted to pair the two shows together, but it makes sense.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TimK2003

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 08:27:29 PM »
If you go down to page 35, in the ad for Hour Magazine, it's interesting that 6 of those 10 shows in the list are still in production 25-years later in some way, shape or form.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 09:09:10 PM »
Correct. Break the Bank was one and done. Not sure if Blair wanted to pair the two shows together, but it makes sense.
Blair also distributed Divorce Court in the 80s.  Maybe they knew Break The Bank was a dead duck and wanted to pair Divorce Court with Strike it Rich.  FWIW, Cleveland did get BtB and Divorce Court in the 4-5 PM hour on WJ(K)W.

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
Blair also distributed Divorce Court in the 80s.  Maybe they knew Break The Bank was a dead duck and wanted to pair Divorce Court with Strike it Rich.  FWIW, Cleveland did get BtB and Divorce Court in the 4-5 PM hour on WJ(K)W.

I still don't know who aired BtB in my area. I do know that Divorce Court and Strike it Rich were airing on the same channel, but in different timeslots (one was on in the noon slot that was eventually taken over by a local newscast) and Divorce Court was on in the 4-5 hour following Superior Court.

(Odd little coincidental fact: the post-Jeopardy slot went between three Jims during 1985- Divorce Court (Peck) begat Name that Tune (Lange) and was begat itself by the second season of the syndie Sale (Perry).)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

JakeT

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 06:31:49 PM »
(Odd little coincidental fact: the post-Jeopardy slot went between three Jims during 1985- Divorce Court (Peck) begat Name that Tune (Lange) and was begat itself by the second season of the syndie Sale (Perry).)

There was a second season of the syndie $ale?  I didn't realize that...

JakeT

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2012, 06:35:51 PM »
There was a second season of the syndie $ale?  I didn't realize that...
My appearance was the last week of the first season, and at the time they weren't sure there was going to be a second.  They told us all that whoever won the Friday show would be given the option of returning just like any other episode, but if the show was not picked up, they'd end up taking home whatever prize they turned down.  (Implied: No matter how stupid.)
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Vahan_Nisanian

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2012, 06:56:17 PM »
Syndie SOTC was a mid-season replacement, much like The Simpsons. First season, a partial one ran for about 3 or 4 months, and the second one, a full one began in September.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:56:51 PM by gameshowlover87 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:31 PM »
Syndie SOTC was a mid-season replacement, much like The Simpsons. First season, a partial one ran for about 3 or 4 months, and the second one, a full one began in September.

Considering Sale never went into reruns wouldn't that number be eight, considering the show debuted in January of '85?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022