Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Three rows on Strike it Rich?  (Read 9526 times)

bradhig

Three rows on Strike it Rich?
« on: April 11, 2004, 12:39:41 AM »
I remember seeing ads for Strike it Rich showing three rows of monitors on the set but all the episodes I have seen they only had two. Was there a format change at some time?

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2004, 12:40:13 AM »
[quote name=\'bradhig\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 10:39 PM\'] I remember seeing ads for Strike it Rich showing three rows of monitors on the set but all the episodes I have seen they only had two. Was there a format change at some time? [/quote]
 Maybe the ads were from the pilot?

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2004, 12:57:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Seth Thrasher\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 11:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'bradhig\' date=\'Apr 10 2004, 10:39 PM\'] I remember seeing ads for Strike it Rich showing three rows of monitors on the set but all the episodes I have seen they only had two. Was there a format change at some time? [/quote]
Maybe the ads were from the pilot? [/quote]
 All depends...the only print ads I've seen for Strike it Rich were all sketched.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 02:49:20 AM »
Sketched or not, it sounds like a pilot episode photo to me.  But at least the 2 row format was MUCH better & easier to deal with.

tvwxman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 06:53:46 AM »
says you.

"Strike It Lucky", the UK version, was far more successful than ours, running for years with Michael Barrymore...

It had three teams with a pretty spiffy set filled with monitors, and was hardly difficult to figure out.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Brig Bother

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2004, 11:23:55 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 10:53 AM\'] says you.

"Strike It Lucky", the UK version, was far more successful than ours, running for years with Michael Barrymore...

It had three teams with a pretty spiffy set filled with monitors, and was hardly difficult to figure out. [/quote]
 Very true, although I assumed it was popular because it was half an hour of Barrymore larking about with contestants and oh! there's a game somewhere too.

I never really enjoyed it to be honest.

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2004, 05:42:20 PM »
Very true, although I assumed it was popular because it was half an hour of Barrymore larking about with contestants and oh! there's a game somewhere too.

That was my take, as well...seemed to me almost like a half-hour of Barrymore chatting it up w/the contestants, w/the game thrown in as an afterthought.

I must, however, give him credit for maintaining the energy level needed on a show like that...the UK version had one player from each team running the arches, w/the others at stage right podiums for the toss-up questions, which meant a lot of running back across the stage during the game.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

That Don Guy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2004, 10:20:26 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 05:53 AM\'] says you.

It had three teams with a pretty spiffy set filled with monitors, and was hardly difficult to figure out. [/quote]
You might want to clarify that SIL had three rows of monitors in the end game - at least it did in the one episode I saw (I think in 1994).

Also, didn't the UK version have questions hidden behind one of the monitors in each column (it counted as "good" or "bad" - I can't remember what exactly the SIR monitors had - depending on whether or not they gave a right answer)?

-- Don

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2004, 08:46:18 AM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 09:20 PM\']

Also, didn't the UK version have questions hidden behind one of the monitors in each column (it counted as "good" or "bad" - I can't remember what exactly the SIR monitors had - depending on whether or not they gave a right answer)?
 [/quote]
 If you're talking about the US Strike it Rich from 1986, the category and five answer choices were displayed on a computer screen to the right of the contestant area. At the end of each team's row of screens, there was a question holder with the final questions which would win the team the game upon answering one. As far as what the monitors did upon a team giving a right answer, I don't recall. The screen displaying the answer choices would say "Champions: (team member one and team member two)" when a team won the game.

tyshaun1

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2004, 11:48:21 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 07:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 09:20 PM\']

[/quote]
If you're talking about the US Strike it Rich from 1986, the category and five answer choices were displayed on a computer screen to the right of the contestant area. At the end of each team's row of screens, there was a question holder with the final questions which would win the team the game upon answering one. As far as what the monitors did upon a team giving a right answer, I don't recall. The screen displaying the answer choices would say "Champions: (team member one and team member two)" when a team won the game. [/quote]
 Ummm........Zach, the last post specifically says "the UK version". Once again, PJTP.

Tyshaun

zachhoran

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 11:56:59 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 10:48 AM\'] [quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 07:46 AM\'] [quote name=\'That Don Guy\' date=\'Apr 11 2004, 09:20 PM\']

[/quote]
If you're talking about the US Strike it Rich from 1986, the category and five answer choices were displayed on a computer screen to the right of the contestant area. At the end of each team's row of screens, there was a question holder with the final questions which would win the team the game upon answering one. As far as what the monitors did upon a team giving a right answer, I don't recall. The screen displaying the answer choices would say "Champions: (team member one and team member two)" when a team won the game. [/quote]
Ummm........Zach, the last post specifically says "the UK version". Once again, PJTP.

Tyshaun [/quote]
 I know PJTP, but I saw SIR and thought he meant the US version of the show(not to be confused with the UK version, Strike it LUcky)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2004, 01:08:05 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 08:56 AM\'] I know PJTP, but I saw SIR and thought he meant the US version of the show(not to be confused with the UK version, Strike it LUcky) [/quote]
 And on top of that, you weren't even close to answering the question asked.

According to the UK Game Show Page:

"On the thirty screens would be 10 Arrows (a free move), 10 Questions (True of False questions which turned into free moves or Hot Spots) and 10 Hot Spots. The computer would jumble everything up and then blank out the screens. The contestants now had to guess Top, Middle or Bottom for each of the ten columns of screens, and if it was a free move or they got a question correct they would win 5% of the money they were playing for. If they got a Hot Spot they lost one of their "lives". This would keep going until they got to the end or they ran out of chances."

It also says that they preselected how many Hot Spots they would be allowed to hit, the options being 2, 3, or 4, and of course, the fewer you chose, the more money you could win.

(By the way, on the US show, the arches contained dollar signs and bandits.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dazztardly

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 06:06:29 PM »
I remember seeing ads for Strike it Rich showing three rows of monitors on the set but all the episodes I have seen they only had two. Was there a format change at some time?

Those pictures you saw in the ads, are from the pilot. 33 C64 computers in total. Three rows of 10 screens in blue, green, yellow, and 3 for the contestant podiums at the end of the arches. Paul Fullwood pulled it all off.

The format was altered because Richard Kline wanted a front and end game on every episode. The game structure at the time, along with Joe's pacing...it was taking too long to finish a front game. So the game was retooled and condensed down to two couples and seven screens.

If you look at the monitor facades on the shows that went to air, you will notice the hints of the yellow and blue facades...as those were eventually painted over in white.

-Dan

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »
I actually liked the UK version, just for the fact that once the game got started, it moved briskly. The US version seemed to plod along. Of course, that could have to do with the fact that the game in the UK version doesn't start til nearly 8 minutes in.

Does anybody know where I could find a pic of the pilot?
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

BrandonFG

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 06:51:07 PM »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!