Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Bill Cullen's Resume  (Read 2395 times)

gamed121683

Bill Cullen's Resume
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:26:40 PM »
As most game show junkies know Bill Cullen holds for hosting more game shows then any other host in TV history. It makes you wonder can this man hold a job? :-) Anyway, when you here lists of all the shows he's done, it usually includes shows that he's hosted, been a panilest on, and/or been a sub-host. My question is is that if you took all of the shows that Bill HOSTED (just hosted full time, subbing doesn't count) would he still hold the record?

Oh, one more thing. Just curious IF Bill is still #1 who are #2 and #3 for most hosted shows-- anybody?

Matt Ottinger

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:01:17 PM »
Yes, Bill would still hold the record if you only counted shows that he regularly hosted.  But you're right when you imply that the reason for this is that he hosted a LOT of short-run shows.  The "impressive" part of his resume would obviously be TPIR and his long run as a panelist on IGAS and TTTT (and, less obvious to game show fans, the five years he spent as a leading NYC disc jockey).

On the other hand, I believe Wink Martindale would be considered second on that list, and his totals are inflated by those ridiculous FAM interactive shows (no offense, Randy) and a lot of short-run shows of his own.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

DrBear

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 12:28:26 PM »
Not to mention his stints on Monitor and some syndicated radio shows....

And his work for NBC Sports ... one of the rare folks to go game-show-to-sportscasting instead of the other way around like Dick Enberg and Vin Scully ...

And his short-lived variety show...

I don't know if he's in the top 10 all-time of air-time but he's gotta be pretty high on the list.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 04:43:09 PM »
The fact that Bill kept getting hired for short-run show after short-run show is testament to the fact that he was still in demand well into his '60s. Contrast that with someone like Allen Ludden with a more limited portfolio.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 04:54:13 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 01:43 PM\'] The fact that Bill kept getting hired for short-run show after short-run show is testament to the fact that he was still in demand well into his '60s. Contrast that with someone like Allen Ludden with a more limited portfolio. [/quote]
 Or Peter Marshall, who was pretty much lost if the format didn't include the contestant agreeing or disagreeing with a celebrity response. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

zachhoran

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 06:48:21 PM »
[quote name=\'gamed121683\' date=\'Apr 12 2004, 08:26 PM\']

Oh, one more thing. Just curious IF Bill is still #1 who are #2 and #3 for most hosted shows-- anybody? [/quote]
 Wink is in second place as stated earlier with 16 shows if I counted right. Tom Kennedy has 15 shows, if you count his two runs of Tune and YDS as separate entities, on his resume. Lange has 14 shows if you count all three runs of DG separately, Trebek has 13 if you count J! and Super J! and all three runs of HR he did separately.

adamjk

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 09:22:21 PM »
He only did two. Martindale did the last one, meaning he actually did 17 shows, not 16.

zachhoran

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 09:27:46 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 08:22 PM\'] He only did two. Martindale did the last one, meaning he actually did 17 shows, not 16. [/quote]
 I counted the two NBC runs and the weekly syndie run in 1975-76 all as separate runs.

adamjk

Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 09:31:25 PM »
Ah, never knew there was a syndie run, I stand corrected.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Bill Cullen's Resume
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 10:18:22 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 08:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 08:22 PM\'] He only did two. Martindale did the last one, meaning he actually did 17 shows, not 16. [/quote]
I counted the two NBC runs and the weekly syndie run in 1975-76 all as separate runs. [/quote]
 However, they ran concurrently, so once again.....
--Mark
Phil 4:13