Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Local Level Game Shows  (Read 6944 times)

DrBear

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 09:59:59 AM »
Or, if you didn't like horses, you could go to the dogs. WBAY, at that time the Green Bay CBS affil, did a full-hour Noon Show featuring (in between the farm markets and interviews with Alice in Dairyland)...

The Greyhound Sweepstakes!

It was their answer to another station's Dialing for Dollars. A greyhound race was run (with the track caller always starting "Herrrrrrrrrrrrre commmmmmmmmes Rusty...they're off!) You had to know the winning mutt and jackpot when they cslled.

Another Green Bay station also aired Let's Go To The Races (LGTTR) for a while, sponsored by either Super Valu or Red Owl, I forget which.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

rugrats1

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »
When I was in upstate New York in the late 1970's or early 80's, there was a local show called "Let's Go To The Races". It involved home viewers using game cards that they get from their supermarket that sponsors it. In this case, it was Acme. It was on WWNY-TV Channel 7 from Watertown NY that carried it at 7PM weeknights(not sure if WWNY is still around today).

Yes, WWNY is still around today, but, when I was in that area recently on vacation, Acme was long gone -- at least in New York.

Is this the same Acme that is now owned by Albertson's? The Alberson's-owned Acme is still around, with stores in New Jersey and the Philadephia area.

Various hosts have done the "in-studio" portions of Races, like Atlanta sportscaster Bob Neal [TBS Superstation], for the old Big Star chain out of Atlanta and other parts of the Southeast in the mid '70s, and commercial actor Bryan Clark, for the old Grand Union chain, which had some stores in Florida before it shut down in the late '70s.

Grand Union, which also owned Big Star, had stores in Florida and Georgia through the mid-1980s, when they pulled out of the region by closing or selling their stores. The chain was in trouble since then -- they're now mainly only in New England and possibly New York state (they're still around in Vermont, though some of the upstate NY stores were sold to Tops).

Particleman

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 04:12:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 11:28 AM\'] Re: having to buy a franchise agreement -

Does that apply to college stations? If our CTV wanted to mount a "Password" and call it "Password", would Fremantle be breathing down our necks, or would they not see it as a big problem?

I know it would cause a problem if they ever wanted to revive Password, because then we'd have something similar to the Cram situation, but otherwise, I don't know. I still say GSN should have lost that whole Cram arguement, though. But maybe we don't know all the details. [/quote]
 My Family Feud software is being used by the Federal Judicial Center in Washington, D.C.  They send out my program as part of a teacher's kit to facilities that train probation officers and courtroom employees.  When I asked them the legal issues involved with using the name "Family Feud" with the software, they told me they would contact their team of lawyers and this is what they said in a nutshell:

The Family Feud name and logo are legal to use if it is being used for educational purposes.  For purposes of public distrubution, like having it available for public download from my web site, they told me it was legal as long as I changed the name to something like "Family Fewd."

Now that my site is growing exponentially by the month, I'm highly considering changing my software's name to "Family Fewd" instead of what it is now.

ChuckNet

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2004, 08:02:29 PM »
It's worse than uninteresting. I have an episode of Junior Pyramid, where kids played with an adult relative, and the annoyance in one kid's tone when his mom didn't get something made me uncomfortable.

Yeah, I thought the same thing...Dick even gently pointed out to the kid afterwards that "they're older, they can't react as quick as you can", or something to that effect.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2004, 08:32:02 PM »
I'm highly considering changing my software's name to "Family Fewd" instead of what it is now.
You could call it "The Feud" lest you teach the children bad spelng.

Jay Temple

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2004, 01:33:42 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 10:23 AM\'] Is this the same Acme that is now owned by Albertson's? [/quote]
 No, they went bankrupt after losing the product-liablity lawsuit to Wile E. Coyote.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Craig Karlberg

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2004, 05:16:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 12:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 10:23 AM\'] Is this the same Acme that is now owned by Albertson's? [/quote]
No, they went bankrupt after losing the product-liablity lawsuit to Wile E. Coyote. [/quote]
BEEP! BEEP! ZIPANNG!!!!

GS Warehouse

Local Level Game Shows
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004, 05:10:30 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 05:16 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 12:33 AM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 10:23 AM\'] Is this the same Acme that is now owned by Albertson's? [/quote]
No, they went bankrupt after losing the product-liablity lawsuit to Wile E. Coyote. [/quote]
BEEP! BEEP! ZIPANNG!!!! [/quote]
 You should see a pah-sighkolojist*.

* That's how the kid in that cartoon pronounced it.