Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another MG/HS pilot picture?  (Read 3708 times)

Don Minyard

Another MG/HS pilot picture?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2004, 04:00:52 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:50 PM\']
Ditto Scrabble, during the first 2 yrs...I used to wonder why they didn't start w/an extra player on eps w/no returning champ, but then Adam's logic kinda dawned on me. :-)

[/quote]
Scrabble typically played two crossword games immediately after an undefeated champion.  This way they could get two players for the Sprint round.

After I won the $40,000 and was retired they brought back a player who might have been disadvantaged in a Sprint round.  She was my opponent in my fifth Sprint, which was at the end of a tape day.  We got in four Sprint rounds before lunch the next day, and at lunch my former opponent showed up, so she could be a stand-in champion if I won the next game.  I did, she was, and she won three games before being defeated by the next $40,000 winner.

And so went the days of my life.

zachhoran

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2004, 07:29:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Minyard\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 03:00 PM\']
Scrabble typically played two crossword games immediately after an undefeated champion.  This way they could get two players for the Sprint round.

After I won the $40,000 and was retired they brought back a player who might have been disadvantaged in a Sprint round.  She was my opponent in my fifth Sprint, which was at the end of a tape day.  We got in four Sprint rounds before lunch the next day, and at lunch my former opponent showed up, so she could be a stand-in champion if I won the next game.  I did, she was, and she won three games before being defeated by the next $40,000 winner.

And so went the days of my life. [/quote]
 These rules of course apply to the pre-Bonus Sprint era format.

After Annie became the very first 10-time undefeated champion(in the days where 5 wins added $20K and 10 wins added another $20K to a player's winnings rather than just increasing the player's total to $20K), they played another Sprint round immediately after her 10th Sprint to determine the next champion. All future undefeated champions saw two crossword games played immediately after.

calliaume

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 07:48:32 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 05:44 PM\'] Wow. That is just bizarre.

Although, I do have an idea of how they might have conducted that---two rounds with three questions, top two winners play HS. They'd have played the same amount of material as they did under the three round/two question format. [/quote]
 Only way they could play.  My original thought was maybe the the third player was the returning champion, whose job was basically to sit there and wait to see who won the MG segment, but the scoreboard readout eliminated that idea.

Obviously Mark Goodson gave more thought to the show than I first realized.  Just not enough on the hosts.

Adam Nedeff

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2004, 11:00:48 PM »
Obviously Mark Goodson gave more thought to the show than I first realized. Just not enough on the hosts.

Well, deciding who should host the Match Game segment didn't require any thought at all. :-)

And since Goodson evidently did kick around a few ideas for formats around the office, I wonder if they ever considered a "straddling" format for MG/HS. Both halves used the original nighttime show formats. Would the show have worked better if they stuck with 2 rounds of Match Game and 2 out of 3 games for Hollywood Squares, and just started the whole thing over when time was left over during the hour? Anyone? Anyone?

JMFabiano

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2004, 11:40:28 PM »
Yeah, the three contestants/two rounds MG makes sense, as does the top two players playing HS.  But where'd ya suppose the returning champion would fit in?
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

calliaume

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2004, 07:48:30 PM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 10:40 PM\'] Yeah, the three contestants/two rounds MG makes sense, as does the top two players playing HS.  But where'd ya suppose the returning champion would fit in? [/quote]
 Returning champions wouldn't have been absolutely necessary.  Let's face it, it's not like they would have run a Tournament of Champions somewhere down the line.

To be honest, anyone who wins $20,000 or more after an hour on that show should have considered themselves extremely lucky -- neither MG or HS required a huge amount of smarts.

JMFabiano

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2004, 06:28:55 AM »
[quote name=\'calliaume\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 06:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 10:40 PM\'] Yeah, the three contestants/two rounds MG makes sense, as does the top two players playing HS.  But where'd ya suppose the returning champion would fit in? [/quote]
Returning champions wouldn't have been absolutely necessary.  Let's face it, it's not like they would have run a Tournament of Champions somewhere down the line.

To be honest, anyone who wins $20,000 or more after an hour on that show should have considered themselves extremely lucky -- neither MG or HS required a huge amount of smarts. [/quote]
 True, but having champions was largely the trend on network shows.

On a semi-related topic, does anyone have any memories of all-time highest MG/HS winners?  On the tapes I have, the Super Match is rarely won, but the potential for high payoffs made me curious.
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

zachhoran

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2004, 09:56:01 AM »
[quote name=\'JMFabiano\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 05:28 AM\']
On a semi-related topic, does anyone have any memories of all-time highest MG/HS winners?  On the tapes I have, the Super Match is rarely won, but the potential for high payoffs made me curious. [/quote]
 RIck Diamond reported on Usenet in 2000 that two contestants managed to win the $30K in the Super Match twice(one player did it two days in  a row). One of those players became the all time winner with around $66K. Another post on Usenet stated there were six $30K wins in the show's nine month run.