Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: GS Theme question  (Read 5956 times)

Mario500

GS Theme question
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2004, 06:52:25 PM »
Beat the Clock (one of them based on "Hickory, Dickory, Dock")

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
GS Theme question
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2004, 07:09:12 PM »
>> Beat the Clock (one of them based on "Hickory, Dickory, Dock")
There was also one featuring a jingle for Sylvania. Mike Klauss had this one as an Open of the Month ["It's time to Beat the Clock!"]
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
GS Theme question
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2004, 07:47:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 02:34 PM\'] From memory...
 [/quote]
 That's exactly it. I remembered a line here and there, but you nailed it. Excellent memory!
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Craig Karlberg

GS Theme question
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2004, 05:28:04 AM »
Didn't Dotto from the late 50's had some kind of jingle too?

The Ol' Guy

GS Theme question
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2004, 08:21:29 AM »
Would these count? Mayor Monty Hall and his lovely assistant would sing a little song at the end of each game when a golf cart would take them and the contestants back to the starting area - the song followed the Video Village theme..about the only line I can remember is "stroll a while along the Magic Mile, where dreams are waiting to come true..."..and the Merv Griffin "Word For Word" theme had vocalists "ba-ba-ba"-ing along with the melody.

TPIRkid79

GS Theme question
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2004, 08:47:27 AM »
How about the UK game show, "The Generation Game"? Bruce Forsyth sang the theme song titled "Life is the Name of the Game".

zachhoran

GS Theme question
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2004, 09:07:25 AM »
[quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 12:12 PM\'] Besides H2, ''The Wizard of Odds, and ''All-Star Blitz, were there any other game shows that used vocal themes? [/quote]
 Paul Rodriguez's Newlywed Game used the 50s Monotones hit Book of Love as the theme. In 1988-89, WOF used the SUrfaris classic Wipeout going into some commercial breaks during their two Wipeout weeks. No relation to the game show of the same name which was in first-run at the time, WIpeout weeks allowed players to return for the rest of the week and win all the remaning bonus prizes provided they kept winning the maingame.

uncamark

GS Theme question
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:04 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 08:07 AM\'][quote name=\'kurtinrod62\' date=\'Apr 15 2004, 12:12 PM\'] Besides H2, ''The Wizard of Odds, and ''All-Star Blitz, were there any other game shows that used vocal themes? [/quote]
Paul Rodriguez's Newlywed Game used the 50s Monotones hit Book of Love as the theme. In 1988-89, WOF used the SUrfaris classic Wipeout going into some commercial breaks during their two Wipeout weeks. No relation to the game show of the same name which was in first-run at the time, WIpeout weeks allowed players to return for the rest of the week and win all the remaning bonus prizes provided they kept winning the maingame.[/quote]
Ahem, Zach--"Wipeout" was an instrumental.  No one counts the banshee laugh and speaking the title at the top of the song as a vocal--just like no one considers the shouts of the title on the Champs' instrumental "Tequila" a vocal.

BrandonFG

GS Theme question
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2004, 01:02:51 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:55 AM\'] Ahem, Zach--"Wipeout" was an instrumental.  No one counts the banshee laugh and speaking the title at the top of the song as a vocal--just like no one considers the shouts of the title on the Champs' instrumental "Tequila" a vocal. [/quote]
 Well in that case, should we include the Make Me Laugh theme, when the vocalists yell "Laaaaaugh!"
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

uncamark

GS Theme question
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2004, 02:51:20 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 12:02 PM\'][quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 09:55 AM\'] Ahem, Zach--"Wipeout" was an instrumental.  No one counts the banshee laugh and speaking the title at the top of the song as a vocal--just like no one considers the shouts of the title on the Champs' instrumental "Tequila" a vocal. [/quote]
Well in that case, should we include the Make Me Laugh theme, when the vocalists yell "Laaaaaugh!"[/quote]
But they did sing "WOO-oo-OOO, WOO-oo-OOO..."  Not necessarily profound lyrics, but lyrics nonetheless.  (For profundity in scat singing, please see Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughn.)

Kevin Prather

GS Theme question
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2004, 06:55:58 PM »
Sorry to bump the thread, but I was listening to my GSM themes CD, and another tune came to mind: Match Game. The old Swingin' Safari had some vocal accompaniment in there.

*returns to the TTD'90 room*

TimK2003

GS Theme question
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2004, 07:35:38 PM »
I used to have an audio copy of the closing taped from the TV...The actual wording was..

Name that tune
*try your* hand
And it could
*mean* a hundred grand, yeah
We're so excited
and you're invited
To try and name that tune

The lyric was then repeated, with the last three lines changed to...
The nation's playing
The nation's saying,
"Hey! I can name that tune."

[snapback]38088[/snapback]
[/quote]

Interesting that they only played the vocal ending whenever they didn't have a returning champ going for the $100,000. To fill that last segment, Kathie Lee was doing a home viewer contest in the last segment to fill the void.  Then when KL sang the close, they would replay 'highlight clips' of the show, IIRC.

However, when a returning champ *was* going for the $100,000 the band would either play a fancy winning fanfare if they won, or just an instrumental-only version of the theme if they lost.

I know of other shows using 2 different closing themes on a regular basis (Perry's SotC comes to mind, when they play a different close theme if someone won it all), but don't know of any other show that used 3 seperate closing themes, so this might be the record holder.

And, BTW, add "The Fun Factory" to the game show vocal theme list!!!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2004, 07:38:35 PM by TimK2003 »

Fedya

GS Theme question
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2004, 09:40:07 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 10:55 AM\']Ahem, Zach--"Wipeout" was an instrumental.  No one counts the banshee laugh and speaking the title at the top of the song as a vocal--just like no one considers the shouts of the title on the Champs' instrumental "Tequila" a vocal.
[snapback]38184[/snapback]
[/quote]

Perhaps they played the Beach Boys/Fat Boys version?  :-)

As for another show that had vocals in its theme, how about Think Twice?  I know it had vocals in the jingles used between rounds.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

zachhoran

GS Theme question
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2004, 09:48:48 PM »
If it were up to Phil Moore, the music used on Nick Arcade during crossovers from the maingame would all have lyrics that he'd make up off the cuff.

dmota104

GS Theme question
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2004, 08:57:38 PM »
"It takes two to do the tango.
It takes two to tie the knot.
It takes two and all of you
to play... It Takes Two!"

From the short-lived Dick Clark-hosted game show on The (then) Family Channel.