Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Incase anybody's interested...  (Read 2832 times)

JayC

Incase anybody's interested...
« on: April 16, 2004, 09:08:41 AM »
If you turn on HBO at 9am et, Quiz Show will be on.  I've never seen it, and it sounds interesting.  Enjoy if your interested!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 11:48:15 AM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 06:08 AM\'] If you turn on HBO at 9am et, Quiz Show will be on.  I've never seen it, and it sounds interesting.  Enjoy if your interested! [/quote]
 It was okay. A little long and drawn out, but okay. The guy they got to play Jack Barry did a GREAT job. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 12:57:39 PM »
Just don't take it as a gospel history of the whole Twenty One scandal; there were more than a few fudges of the facts. (Which in some ways seems appropriate). Dick Goodwin played a lot lesser role than the movie suggests, for one thing.

But as a character study of what money and fame can make us do, it's very good indeed.
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

JayC

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 02:33:26 PM »
I only got to see the first hour of it, but it was pretty good.  Yeah, the guy who played Jack Barry did a GREAT job, and I was pretty well done.

bulldog_06

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 04:00:17 PM »
Yeah, Christopher MacDonald (Jack Barry) played one of his best roles in a long time, I actually loved Quiz Show.

familyfeudfan

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2004, 06:36:43 PM »
Quiz Show is my favorite movie of all time. The 21 set looked great!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 11:20:46 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 12:57 PM\'] Just don't take it as a gospel history of the whole Twenty One scandal; there were more than a few fudges of the facts. ... [/quote]
For example, in the movie Charles defeated Herb by reaching 21.  IIRC, Van Doren stopped the game leading 18-10.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 11:20:58 PM by GS Warehouse »

whampyl03

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 11:59:44 PM »
Despite the historical flubs, I'll agree with many and say it's a EXCELLENT film.  If you haven't seen this film yet, I strongly suggest to take a look at it.

TPIRkid79

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 12:14:19 AM »
I say it was a GREAT film. I like how John Turturro played the role of Herbert Stempel. Ralph Fiennes played Charles Van Doren. I like the part where Herb and Dan Enright (David Paymer) fight over Van Doren. "You and Charles Van [bleep]ing Doren!"

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004, 12:05:09 AM »
For example, in the movie Charles defeated Herb by reaching 21. IIRC, Van Doren stopped the game leading 18-10.

Also, the Civil War question on H.W. Halleck actually came much earlier in the actual ep (before the "Marty" question, where Stempel took the dive), unlike the movie where Van Doren reached 21 and won on it.

Not to mention that during the Enright/Stempel argument, you can see a tally board w/the B&E logo and the names of their shows on it...Concentration can clearly be seen on the board, yet it wouldn't premiere for another 2 yrs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

bradhig

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2004, 12:25:32 AM »
That board is where I saw Dough Re Mi listed and why I asked about it. Does anyone have a site listing the historial blunders in Quiz Show? I have been thinking about getting it on DVD.

davemackey

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 12:28:05 AM »
It's a page I've been toying about doing for some time, but haven't had the time or inclination.

Incidentally, the fact that Christopher McDonald played Jack Barry in "Quiz Show" was the basis of a Secret Square question on last night's "Hollywood Squares", answered correctly by a guy who probably has seen "Quiz Show" about 20 times, Elmo.

sshuffield70

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 10:55:29 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 11:28 PM\'] It's a page I've been toying about doing for some time, but haven't had the time or inclination.

Incidentally, the fact that Christopher McDonald played Jack Barry in "Quiz Show" was the basis of a Secret Square question on last night's "Hollywood Squares", answered correctly by a guy who probably has seen "Quiz Show" about 20 times, Elmo. [/quote]
 "Everything I learned about game show hosting, I learned from Christopher McDonald" -- Tom Bergeron from a Whoopi-era Squares

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2004, 11:08:23 AM »
I felt Paymer's capturing of Enright's 50's oiliness was perfect. In some ways, Dan came off as one of the most honest people in the play. He was a hustler who knew most of us keep the same desires he has cloaked with layers of alleged respectability to remain socially acceptable. He figured Van Doren wanted it all, too, and laid out the excuse Van Doren (like all the others) could use to put a nice scent on their baser instincts. Dan claims to have learned from the experience. Whether that meant he reformed some aspects of his personality or just learned how to not to get caught making the same mistakes again will be one for the history books.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2004, 12:49:46 PM »
[quote name=\'The Ol' Guy\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 11:08 AM\'] I felt Paymer's capturing of Enright's 50's oiliness was perfect. ... [/quote]
 One can't help but wonder whether David Paymer may be typecast when it comes to future projects.  For example, he was most recently the mob boss on the ABC drama Line of Fire.  Same for John Turturro, whose most recent role I recall was another unbearable-in-the-public-eye TV personality--Howard Cosell in that Monday Night Football telefilm for Turner.