Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: U.K. Weakest Link  (Read 4962 times)

passwordplus

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 12:40:29 PM »
I don't know if they have ratings systems in UK(like we have Nielsens), but from what I've read it is probably #2 behind UK WWTBAM. I guess they are not burned out on their game shows.

tommycharles

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 12:46:06 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 11:40 AM\'] I don't know if they have ratings systems in UK(like we have Nielsens), but from what I've read it is probably #2 behind UK WWTBAM. I guess they are not burned out on their game shows. [/quote]
 They certainly do, although I'm not sure of the details. Last time I was there, it seemed like all five episodes of WL appeared in the top ten programs on BBC2 each week (that's right, half of their 10 highest rated shows were the Weakest Link). It doesn't even touch WWTBAM, though, but I don't think it's expected to.

uncamark

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 05:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 11:46 AM\'][quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 11:40 AM\'] I don't know if they have ratings systems in UK(like we have Nielsens), but from what I've read it is probably #2 behind UK WWTBAM. I guess they are not burned out on their game shows. [/quote]
They certainly do, although I'm not sure of the details. Last time I was there, it seemed like all five episodes of WL appeared in the top ten programs on BBC2 each week (that's right, half of their 10 highest rated shows were the Weakest Link). It doesn't even touch WWTBAM, though, but I don't think it's expected to.[/quote]
More importantly, it dominates the "teatime" slot in the ratings--the only show that's competitive between 5 and 6 p.m. (with the last 15 minutes of "Ready--Steady--Cook!" from 5 to 5:15) is the Aussie soap "Neighbours" at 5:35 p.m. on BBC1 (the remainder of the kiddie show lineup's on that channel between 5 and 5:35).  A long series of ITV shows have bombed in that 5 p.m. slot and Channel 4's "Richard and Judy" talk show continues to disappoint at 5 p.m. (after the channel spent a lot of money to snare the Madeleys from ITV).  Channel 5 has news at 5:30 and the conclusion of a movie at 5.

tommycharles

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 10:20:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Apr 13 2004, 04:15 PM\'] More importantly, it dominates the "teatime" slot in the ratings--the only show that's competitive between 5 and 6 p.m. (with the last 15 minutes of "Ready--Steady--Cook!" from 5 to 5:15) is the Aussie soap "Neighbours" at 5:35 p.m. on BBC1 (the remainder of the kiddie show lineup's on that channel between 5 and 5:35).  A long series of ITV shows have bombed in that 5 p.m. slot and Channel 4's "Richard and Judy" talk show continues to disappoint at 5 p.m. (after the channel spent a lot of money to snare the Madeleys from ITV).  Channel 5 has news at 5:30 and the conclusion of a movie at 5. [/quote]
 And if there's anything that will continue to puzzle me it's why Channel 4 doesn't put another game or...just about anything except a talk show after Countdown. They could easily take "Link" to task if they wanted to.

Speaking of UK games, though - I personally would have much prefered Friends Like These instead of Dog Eat Dog. Much better show, IMO.

Brig Bother

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2004, 05:02:23 AM »
Well that's a bit unfair on Richard and Judy really, they have a core following that is growing. C4 seem to be pleased to have stuck by them at any rate.

Countdown was moved (from the time it had always been on since 1982 - give or take the extra fifteen minutes) to an earlier time slot in the afternoon to make way for two property themed shows. I don't think they want a quiz in the run up to Richard and Judy.

I've always loved Dog Eat Dog myself although many of the games were pitched too easy (this is the Brit puzzle-a-thon rather than the more physical American game) when they should have been more of an average level. I think the idea towards the end was that it would be more about interpersonal relationships and voting off than about the games themselves which I think is a real shame - series two is the stand out here I think.

Friends Like These got surprisingly dull when Ant and Dec stopped hosting it. It didn't help that they didn't add many new challenges from series to series. It got stale.

Current BBC1 Saturday Night Interactivityfest "Come and Have a Go... If You Think You're Smart Enough" is bombing against the mighty Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2004, 11:33:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 02:02 AM\'] "Come and Have a Go... If You Think You're Smart Enough"
 [/quote]
 I just want to say that I simply cannot think of a more British name for a game show than this. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2004, 12:16:10 PM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 04:02 AM\'] Well that's a bit unfair on Richard and Judy really, they have a core following that is growing. C4 seem to be pleased to have stuck by them at any rate.

Countdown was moved (from the time it had always been on since 1982 - give or take the extra fifteen minutes) to an earlier time slot in the afternoon to make way for two property themed shows. I don't think they want a quiz in the run up to Richard and Judy.

Friends Like These got surprisingly dull when Ant and Dec stopped hosting it. It didn't help that they didn't add many new challenges from series to series. It got stale.

Current BBC1 Saturday Night Interactivityfest "Come and Have a Go... If You Think You're Smart Enough" is bombing against the mighty Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. [/quote]
 Oh...so Countdown isn't on at 415 anymore? Wow, I'm out of touch :-)

I don't know - I like Ian Wright, myself. When I first heard that he was going the game show route, I was a little unsure, but he proved himself in that series.

And I haven't seen "Come and Have a Go...", but I have a feeling Saturday Night Takeaway is winning is because...Saturday Night Takeaway is actually a good show. I only saw it two or three times (it *did* help that Brian May was a guest on one of those shows :-) ), but it was suprisingly well done.

Brig Bother

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2004, 07:52:03 PM »
Oh man! Ian Wright just comes across as really annoying to me and quite a lot of other people. I don't think his lottery show, Wright Around the World is coming back either.

(For the uninitiated, Ian Wright was a footb... I mean soccer player who for some reason someone decided to sign up for television).

Ant and Dec's SNT is just a big lovely entertainment show that's distilled the best bits of Noel's House Party, Don't Forget Your Toothbrush and Last Chance Lottery. Not much in it is particularly original therefore, but Ant and Dec are smashing live hosts who are family friendly but weigh in with just enough irony for people who don't like that sort of thing to like that sort of thing.

Come and Have Go Smart Etc is actually quite an interesting new format. Four quiz teams in the studio take on 35 multiple choice questions. However, the exciting twist is that anybody connected to the internet, watching through most digital television sets or on special mobile phones can phone up and register and play along too (adding a bit to the prize pot). After the first show, the smartest home team is quickly found and a satellite camera set up in their front room. At 21:50 there's a second live show where the best studio team take on the smartest home team for a £30,000+registry fees cash prize and the chance to come to the studio next week to defend their place.

It's a very ambitious show and it just about works. It's not quite as good as I'd like it to be though. I would go into why but it's almost 1AM and I'm going to bed :)

starcade

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2004, 07:24:47 PM »
Ant and Dec are riots!!!

I had the opportunity to hear them do not only "World Idol" but also a goof on Simon during the second season American tryouts.  They are funny and they take no prisoners and they don't hide what they're thinking...

gameshowguy2000

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2004, 12:37:07 AM »
I found another difference:

The background when the players are interviewed on the UK Daytime version is wall paper with the UK logo all over it.

The UK Primetime version, has the set in the BG, like the US versions.

And like the US Daytime version, both versions have had teams that have ran the whole chain (banking after the target question is nailed, that is).

MCArroyo1

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2004, 08:31:47 AM »
[quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 10:37 PM\'] And like the US Daytime version, both versions have had teams that have ran the whole chain (banking after the target question is nailed, that is). [/quote]
 It's happened on US Primetime as well, though I've only seen it happen once.

gameshowguy2000

U.K. Weakest Link
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2004, 12:34:46 PM »
[quote name=\'MCArroyo1\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 07:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowguy2000\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 10:37 PM\'] And like the US Daytime version, both versions have had teams that have ran the whole chain (banking after the target question is nailed, that is). [/quote]
It's happened on US Primetime as well, though I've only seen it happen once. [/quote]
 Well, they reached and banked the $125,000 target. But they didn't do it in one chain.

The first chain had $75,000; was banked, then the 2nd had $50,000; and was added to the $75K, for the full $125K.

When I mean by running the chain, in this case, I mean, by going 8 answers in a row, and THEN banking. That never happened.

In the case of the US Daytime version, that'd be 6 answers in a row, then banking. That certainly happened.

As for the UK versions, that'd be 9 answers in a row, and then banking. This has happened at least once before.