Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Hosting Beat The Clock at a party....  (Read 2095 times)

bwood

Hosting Beat The Clock at a party....
« on: April 16, 2004, 10:03:52 PM »
Hey All,
I am planning on doing a few "Beat The Clock" "shows" at some parties in the coming months. I am actually doing a few run-throughs (to get all of the kinks out, try out some stunts, decide on the format) with some people that will be at these parties soon.
Only one catch, one of the contestants is allergic to latex. Latex cannot be anywhere near us at all. This person will be at all of the parties BtC is played at.
That's my problem, I have the Endless home game and most of the stunts rely on latex baloons, etc. Every time I have ever done a BtC show in the past, I used a whole bunch of baloons, I can't do that this time. I borrowed a few books from the library and got a few ideas but not enough.
My question is, are there any sites on the net that have ideas for stunts (or physical challenges if you will) that are latex free?
It doesn't matter what they are as long as the supplies needed for them can be obtained easily and cheap (poor college student here).
If you know of any sites, or have any ideas for stunts of your own, please let me know. Thank you all so much in advance!

PS: I may tape one or all of these in game show fashion so if you help me out and would like to be given credit, that can be arranged. Just give me your name. I want to give credit where credit is due.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 10:31:51 PM »
This is a real long shot, but if you can somehow manage to locate Phil Wayne Rossi, he might have some ideas for you. His dad once told me he was going to write a book called "Take Almost Anything", a compliation of BTC stunts for occasions such as yours, but I think the book was just an idea and little more.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 10:40:22 PM »
Assuming there will be food and drink at the party, you could have a stunt where paper plates and cups are stacked plate/cup, plate/cup.  All you have to do is get the plates and cups into the basket without dropping them. Sounds easy, right?  You have 55 seconds....oh wait, did I mention you'll be wearing blindfolds????
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

bwood

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 10:55:46 PM »
Thanks for the replies so far..........here's something else that somebody here may be able to help with as well:

Since we are supposed to do this "show" pretty often, a friend of mine wants to construct a podium (getting a little Nick. Double Dareish here) with the clock mounted on the front of it to be used for the stunt timer. He's looking for a clock that can be viewed easily at a distance. The control for it will be installed on the top of the podium.
I know this stuff isn't cheap but if we can find anything reasonable, we'll probably go for it since we'll be using it so much. I'm searching ebay and a few other places now with no luck as of yet. It should be 2 digits (of course), but it doesn't really have to be, we can probably make anything work if we try.  
A bulk of these shows will probably be played outside so we may have to find one that uses the reflector style digits (old Trebek Jeopardy scoreboards that are just pianted digits that flip. If we use LED, we'd probably have to build a box around it to shield the sunlight.
I am totally lost on this as well. No idea where to start. If you have any ideas for a clock, let me know as well. Sorry the details may be sketchy, but I really have no idea how to describe it.
I've always used a PC hooked up to a TV with a PowerPoint presentation as a clock, but don't like to lug that PC around (I know, get a laptop!) but I don't want to get TV's and such involved in this.

Thanks Again!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2004, 04:02:50 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 16 2004, 07:55 PM\'] A bulk of these shows will probably be played outside so we may have to find one that uses the reflector style digits (old Trebek Jeopardy scoreboards that are just pianted digits that flip. If we use LED, we'd probably have to build a box around it to shield the sunlight. [/quote]
As for the latex issue, I've always been told sheepskin and an appropriate spermicide is fairly effective. :)

As for the clock, you're talking damned expensive. Here's a link to a portable shot clock that I found:

http://www2.sportablescoreboards.com/sc2.html

They want something in the neighborhood of two grand for a decent-sized 2-digit vane clock and a controller. If you're good enough with electronics to wire the controller yourself (or know someone who is....and it's not THAT hard), here's where you can get the digits and do it yourself...

http://www.bodet.com/urlref/01a8cata/urlex...b/7/produit.htm

I have no idea what they cost, but I fear they are not cheap either. Good luck, tho...
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 04:03:06 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004, 04:53:25 PM »
Not sure if they still make them, but a few of the radio stations at which I worked had large numbered digital clocks to assist in backtiming to network feeds.  You could set the clock to countdown.  Another idea would be to use a small video camera shooting a microwave oven timer. I know that sounds strange but hear me out on this.  Hook the camera up to a video monitor that would be housed in your podium with the screen facing your audience.  Then you'd also have SFX..BEEP...BEEP...BEEP...and you also could make nachos.   EDIT: I just reread that you don't want to use TV's, so scratch the above idea. Maybe build an hourglass for your podium?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 05:01:58 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

TimK2003

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004, 05:04:48 PM »
I'm not exactly sure of the official name of the clocks, but I used to call them 'studio timing clocks', since we used to use one to time commercials at a radio station.  I have also seen them used in medical labs as well.  (Randy, you probably know what these clocks are called and the mfr.)

It's a black box with white numerals.  On the top of the clock is a switch to either count-up in seconds, or it can countdown.  It had an on/off switch so you could 'stop the clock', as well as a good sounding buzzer when time is up.  There is also a big knob in the center to set the time.  I think this would be your best bet for a BTC Clock (just paste a little Sylvania logo between the knob & the 12 and you're all set . :)

I would estimate that these box clocks run for appx $100(?) but you might find one cheaper on E-Bay.

As for a stunt, if you want to be a little risque', I saw a club DJ come up with this one:

POLE IN THE HOLE:

One Person (usually the guy) holds a plunger between their legs, while the partner (usually the gal) holds a roll of toilet paper between their legs.  Stand them appx 10 feet apart, and you can probably guess what they have to accomplish!

If either contestant dops their prop, both have to go back to their starting marks and begin again.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 05:05:40 PM by TimK2003 »

bwood

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2004, 05:50:31 PM »
Ahh, I've never thought about one of those "lab clocks". We used to have one of those for Quiz Team when I was in High School. I'll look into that, thanks!

I'm still open for suggestions on stunts and if anyone has any more clock ideas.

Thanks to all so far!

EDIT: I did some searching on eBay and found these darkroom clocks at very reasonable prices! To keep the classic feel of BtC, this is most likley what we will use! I had forgotten all about these clocks until now. Thank you SO MUCH Tim!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 06:14:39 PM by bwood »

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2004, 06:48:39 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 02:50 PM\'] EDIT: I did some searching on eBay and found these darkroom clocks at very reasonable prices! To keep the classic feel of BtC, this is most likley what we will use! I had forgotten all about these clocks until now. Thank you SO MUCH Tim! [/quote]
 Excellent idea. They're likely to be much cheaper than a digital vane solution (looking...WOW, WAY cheaper), easy to set, and the buzz they make when they hit zero is loud and distinctive. Hmm. I could use one of these for gaming.... :)

ChuckNet

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 11:35:49 PM »
As for the latex issue, I've always been told sheepskin and an appropriate spermicide is fairly effective. :)

Will this stunt be used for a tie in the 2-out-of-3 match as the rubber game? <ducking>

Chuck Donegan (The Comedic "Chuckie Baby")

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2004, 11:38:19 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 08:35 PM\'] Will this stunt be used for a tie in the 2-out-of-3 match as the rubber game? <ducking>
 [/quote]
 I dunno about you, Chuck, but mine are just the right size, I don't have to "tie" a knot in them ;)

TimK2003

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2004, 07:40:17 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' date=\'Apr 17 2004, 04:50 PM\'] I did some searching on eBay and found these darkroom clocks at very reasonable prices! To keep the classic feel of BtC, this is most likley what we will use! I had forgotten all about these clocks until now. Thank you SO MUCH Tim! [/quote]
 No Prob.... ;-D

BTW, How reasonable are the reasonable prices on e-bay and how much are they new?  The more I thought about it, I might make the investment for one as well.  (Is the official name for these clocks 'lab clocks' then?)

These clocks would be a perfect match for those doing a TPIR clock game as well, except the :30 and the :00 positions would be flip flopped.

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2004, 07:54:37 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 04:40 PM\'] BTW, How reasonable are the reasonable prices on e-bay and how much are they new?  The more I thought about it, I might make the investment for one as well.  (Is the official name for these clocks 'lab clocks' then?)[/quote]
The search that seems to have the best luck on Ebay is "darkroom timer" or "lab timer". They seem to Ebay anywhere between $15 and $30, depending on the model. I can't really get a feel for what they cost online, but it looks obscene, like $100+.
These clocks would be a perfect match for those doing a TPIR clock game as well, except the :30 and the :00 positions would be flip flopped.
Hint: if you got one that didn't have controls on top of it, you could turn it upside down and it would be perfect. ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 07:54:49 PM by clemon79 »