Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pass The Buck  (Read 2021 times)

JacksonBrowne1980

• I Played With The Toys At My Schools I Went To
Pass The Buck
« on: April 19, 2004, 11:38:39 PM »
anyone remember a pre-80s game show called "Pass The Buck" it was hosted by bill cullen where a contestant might win $5,000 in the bonus game.  does anyone know if there was a pilot episode?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 11:39:06 PM by JacksonBrowne1980 »
Erik "Taz" Mokracek

"Well, I Guess You Have To Be 35 Before Anyone Around Here Listens To You" - Alex Pruitt From "Home Alone 3"

Jay Temple

Pass The Buck
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 11:55:14 PM »
I do, very well.  When school let out for the summer that year (1978, IIRC), it was my instant favorite.  I thought it was especially cool that all one's opponents stick around until someone wins the big money.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Fedya

Pass The Buck
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 10:08:07 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Apr 19 2004, 10:55 PM\'] I do, very well.  When school let out for the summer that year (1978, IIRC), it was my instant favorite.  I thought it was especially cool that all one's opponents stick around until someone wins the big money. [/quote]
 For your sake, I hope Matt doesn't send you to the isolation booth for liking Pass the Buck.  ;-)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

Jimmy Owen

Pass The Buck
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 10:34:48 AM »
Several good elements on that show.  Best set of a Stewart show (looks contemporary even today), good music and SFX, Bill Cullen, NYC origination. Eliminated players rooting for a bonus game loss perhaps a pre-cursor of the "Survivor" style show.  Drawbacks: unlike most Stewart shows (Jackpot, Pyr, SFTS, etc.) no partners to celebrate at the moment of a big win; questions too open-ended and subject to whims of judging.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

Pass The Buck
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 11:08:39 AM »
[quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 10:08 AM\'] For your sake, I hope Matt doesn't send you to the isolation booth for liking Pass the Buck.  ;-) [/quote]
 I considered it...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Pass The Buck
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 12:26:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 10:08 AM\'] [quote name=\'Fedya\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 10:08 AM\'] For your sake, I hope Matt doesn't send you to the isolation booth for liking Pass the Buck.  ;-) [/quote]
I considered it... [/quote]
 Ok that flew way above my head...does Matt specifically not like PtB or is there an inside joke I'm not aware of?

ObGameshow: The UK version of PtB is much better than the U.S. one.

Matt Ottinger

Pass The Buck
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 12:31:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 12:26 PM\'] Ok that flew way above my head...does Matt specifically not like PtB or is there an inside joke I'm not aware of? [/quote]
 Well, technically both, I guess. Pass the Buck is easily my least favorite Bill Cullen show, and this is from someone who's seen How Do You Like Your Eggs and Professor Yes 'n' No!  Everything about it was just way too arbitrary for my tastes.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Pass The Buck
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004, 12:43:36 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 11:31 AM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 12:26 PM\'] Ok that flew way above my head...does Matt specifically not like PtB or is there an inside joke I'm not aware of? [/quote]
Well, technically both, I guess. Pass the Buck is easily my least favorite Bill Cullen show, and this is from someone who's seen How Do You Like Your Eggs and Professor Yes 'n' No!  Everything about it was just way too arbitrary for my tastes. [/quote]
 Thanks for the explaination. I think that's one thing that's better about the British version - they used more catagories like "Wimbledon Winners since 1990" and less catagories like "a word used to describe a fat person."

A nifty feature of the UK show is the "memory" round - the host would read off a set of words (18, if my memory serves), and each player had to repeat one of them to him. Was that ever part of the US show or not?

uncamark

Pass The Buck
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004, 12:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 11:43 AM\']A nifty feature of the UK show is the "memory" round - the host would read off a set of words (18, if my memory serves), and each player had to repeat one of them to him. Was that ever part of the US show or not?[/quote]
Don't think so--just the elimination round and the end game.

GSWitch

Pass The Buck
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004, 09:10:24 PM »
Pass the Buck marked some milestones.

1).  The last new game show taped in New York City until 21 years later (Millionaire).

2).  Bill Cullen (& Bob Stewart) did their last New York game show.

3).  Taped @ The Ed Sullivan Theater where 15 years later, Letterman moved in.  Letterman was like RAID! back in 1980, "Kills game shows dead"!

Also, it was a hard choice for game show fans when it was opposite NBC's Card Sharks.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pass The Buck
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2004, 09:42:43 PM »
[quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 06:10 PM\'] 1). The last new game show taped in New York City until 21 years later (Millionaire).
 [/quote]
 On a network, maybe. Certainly Remote Control on MTV taped out of NY.
Also, it was a hard choice for game show fans when it was opposite NBC's Card Sharks.
Not on the West Coast.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Fedya

Pass The Buck
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2004, 10:46:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Apr 20 2004, 11:43 AM\'] A nifty feature of the UK show is the "memory" round - the host would read off a set of words (18, if my memory serves), and each player had to repeat one of them to him. Was that ever part of the US show or not? [/quote]
 I don't think so, although that was the premise for the elimination round of The Diamond Head Game
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post