Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games Dumb people Can Play  (Read 5049 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Games Dumb people Can Play
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2003, 02:36:21 AM »
[quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 04:11 PM\'] I don't agree with the notion of PYL being okay for dummies.  

... [/quote]
 Facts are facts, regardless if you like the show or not.

PYL had a huge share of idiots.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

LA the DJ

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2003, 03:01:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 02:36 AM\'] [quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 04:11 PM\'] I don't agree with the notion of PYL being okay for dummies. 

... [/quote]

PYL had a huge share of idiots. [/quote]
 ...and we've seen this one proven over and over at The Palace, right Don?

Whammy seems even easier for dummies than PYL was, as it seems like there's even more softball questions. Though most of the questions on that show are a difficulty ranking of about 3 or 4 out of 10, the Big Bank questions rank about in the 5-6 range, and the dummies almost always miss them.

Hollywood Squares is certainly a lightweight, as is Match Game, WoF, CS.

TPiR contestants can be dumb and rely on the audience, who is normally, pretty good.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Funny Money yet. DUH. Oh yeah, maybe nobody's watching it.

Cram is a game of memory rather than intelligence. If you have a photographic memory, but are stupid, you can still win.

Hard to explain, but it seems like I've seen quite a few dumb teams take it all on Lingo... Anyone else noticed that?
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

Jay Temple

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2003, 12:27:15 PM »
[quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 02:01 AM\'] Cram is a game of memory rather than intelligence. If you have a photographic memory, but are stupid, you can still win.

Hard to explain, but it seems like I've seen quite a few dumb teams take it all on Lingo... Anyone else noticed that? [/quote]
 Your observation about Cram brings to mind the difficulty of defining intelligence (and its opposite, stupidity).  Mozart is routinely described as a genius.  I would say the same of Mark Goodson, and most intelligence tests include some memorization and some language skills.

Probably the best definition we could use for "dumb" for the purpose of this thread is, lacking the skills that would normally be useful on the show in question.  Then we could say that the shows we're looking to list rank low on the best-player-wins scale.  (You could further refine this scale and look either at shows where the best player usually does win or shows where the rules give the advantage to the best player, regardless of whether it turns out that way.)

WoF is low, but far from the worst, because two of the necessary skills are (1) remembering which letters are vowels and which are consonants and (2) paying attention to the used-letter board or else remembering which letters were called.  We have all seen plenty of people win who lacked one or both of these.  In the latter case, contestants in the bonus round have called letters that they were already given.

Cram is, as you said, a memorization test.  Other than adding in the physical tasks, the game itself is based solely on memorization, so I would put it high on the best-player-wins scale.

Most straight quizzers are high on the BPW scale.  J! is probably the highest, not because it has the most difficult material, but because it has the fewest things to help weaker players.

If J! and 21 are straight quizzers, Password (pre-puzzle), Pyramid and Show-Offs could be called straight communication games.  (For the unfamiliar, Show-Offs was a charade game.)  They would rank high on the BPW scale.  WLD, when it didn't have puzzles, would too.  Adding the puzzles put it lower on the BPW scale, alongside Super Password/Password Plus and Body Language.

TPIR is actually high on the BPW scale:  It is difficult to win much if you can't accurately guess prices.  However, it loses points for the spin-off, because that has nothing to do with prices.  (It is still an interesting game of intelligence, though!  For years, off and on, I've been trying to figure out the precise point at which the first player should stop on his first spin.)

Then, you brought up Lingo.  I would say that the skills necessary here are word recognition, obviously, and the ability to work with both the correct letters and the incorrect letters from previous guesses.  If, as you believe, a lot of "stupid" people walk away, it's probably because there is nothing in place to penalize people who lack the second skill noted.  (We've had a discussion on another thread as to whether there should be some sort of penalty.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 01:52:26 PM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 09:27 AM\']For years, off and on, I've been trying to figure out the precise point at which the first player should stop on his first spin.[/quote]
70 cents, and the second should stop on 60, given the option. Of course, the third has a 50/50 chance if given the choice on 50, so I'd go for the spin-off, just to give the other player a chance at some money (and very slightly better my chance at money via the possibility of multiple spin-offs).

Neumms

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 10:33:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 12:11 PM\'] Name a Game Show past or present that even dumb people can play?

The Dating Game

[/quote]
 It always struck me you had to be kind of quick on your feet to be a bachelor on the Dating Game. You never saw a lot of guys staring into camera saying, "duhhhhhh."

Now Treasure Hunt, that's just luck.

Concentration takes memory--that's skill. Lingo is skill tempered by luck.

On High Rollers, the questions were pretty darned easy, most are multiple choice, none involve philosophy and ancient history, and there are always the dice to save you. Whammy and PYL are the same way but have more interesting decisions to make.

Family Feud wasn't a game for brain surgeons, but it wasn't luck based, either. Maybe that's why it was so popular.

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 04:48:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Jay Temple\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 12:27 PM\'] [quote name=\'nWo_Whammy\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 02:01 AM\'] Cram is a game of memory rather than intelligence. If you have a photographic memory, but are stupid, you can still win.

Hard to explain, but it seems like I've seen quite a few dumb teams take it all on Lingo... Anyone else noticed that? [/quote]

WoF is low, but far from the worst, because two of the necessary skills are (1) remembering which letters are vowels and which are consonants [/quote]
 Remembering which letters and vowels constitutes intellegence?

Yes, and I'm a 4.0 student at Harvard....
--Mark

Starkman

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 07:30:07 AM »
i agree about different types of intellegence being the main part of this thread and why I rejected alot of shows in this thread and added some of my own. For example TPIR involves math in many of its games and estimation is the core value of the show (even back on the cullen version) folks it takes a rare breed to really be good at estimation and ordering products. It also requires an aquired knowledge in most cases, that is the knowledge of prices of items, especally the grocery games.

Of course one thing thats asked for may not be recieved if the contestants are dumb enough as evidenced by LMAD's pricing games that useally ended up with the contestant missing the last price by more than 3 miles and either bailing or losing.

Memory is indeed a form of intellegence, I think shows like cram and concentration do indeed involve alot of intellegence, cram in fact I think has one of the more difficult games in the genre for intellegence in the double trouble stunt round trying to answer two different subsets of questions at the same time is very hard let alone doing it with no sleep.

Feud requires a very unique skill albeit one that is easy to master. that is decephiring the trends of a greater population, and while it is a skill that is quick to master to the point where kids have come onto the show and carried their teams on more than one occasion, it certainly is a you have it or you dont skill as evidenced by the plethora of rotten answers that flood MOGSM specials ;)

MG i thought took some intellegence (wit is a by product of intellegence) to decipher the joke and add a quick, witty punchline in a short period of time, however after seeing last night's MGPM rerun and some other eps of its ilk i balk a little since the fact is that its the luck of a celebs that determines the quality of an answer, the answer of "jewish" as per why the wolf wouldnt eat the pigs only matched fannie (the more mundane answer of vegeteran won out) despite Jewish being much more clever and thought out IMHO, so in the end MG is more about luck than wit. (and mind you that contestand was no einstien, she skunked the super match!!!)

Heatter's agree disagree games (squares battlestars AS biltz) I think rank down there, even if the contestant has zero clue they can guess and have a 50/50 shot of being correct. ive seen guys wing it on luck and do quite well (especally on the marshall PM eps where there were no DCs)

Word games often require intellegence enough to identify a word with a high synapse speed (like scrabble esp the sprint round) or a vast knowledge of the dictionary (like lingo) WOF has none of these, its just pick a letter and study what it creates for as long as you need (and as long as you can keep picking letters)

With all this being said ill now re list my ten easiest game shows to win. In order 1-10 easiest to hardest (note: lottery games dont count but well you dont need much of anything besides a rabbits foot to win big on the big spin ;) )

1. Treasure hunt

2. National lampoon's funny money

3. PYL

4. Shop til You Drop

5. WOF

6. LMAD (only this low because they did frequently play tpir style pricing games)

7. Match game (7x-on)

8. Newlywed game

9. Squares

10. High Rollers

gsnstooge

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2004, 06:33:29 PM »
[quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 06:34 PM\'] treasure hunt and LMAD certainly dont take much intellegence.

Neither does WOF its hangman, a 4th grade level game.

I agree somewhat that there is some more thought to PYL than meets the eye but not much, as is shown by some of the contestants there.

Match game doesnt take intellegence, just a good sense of humor, which well does make it so that a total fool cant play it too well.

Ill leave kids game out of this, however kids games for adults less so...STYD is definatly on this list. As would be BTC. [/quote]
 In my opinion, about 99% of those Match Game front game questions were hard.  Match-Up for MG '90 and the Super/Audience Match to me are easier.

tyshaun1

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2004, 09:27:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 02:36 AM\'] [quote name=\'DjohnsonCB\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 04:11 PM\'] I don't agree with the notion of PYL being okay for dummies. 

... [/quote]

PYL had a huge share of idiots. [/quote]
Let's see you take that argument to Randy West. ;)

Tyshaun

BTW, hardly anyone on PYL I would request for brain surgery, but they had several smart players on the show. The rest were perfect fodder for Peter Tomarken.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 09:28:09 PM by tyshaun1 »

Dbacksfan12

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2004, 09:28:20 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 05:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'Starkman\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 06:34 PM\'] treasure hunt and LMAD certainly dont take much intellegence.

Neither does WOF its hangman, a 4th grade level game.

I agree somewhat that there is some more thought to PYL than meets the eye but not much, as is shown by some of the contestants there.

Match game doesnt take intellegence, just a good sense of humor, which well does make it so that a total fool cant play it too well.

Ill leave kids game out of this, however kids games for adults less so...STYD is definatly on this list. As would be BTC. [/quote]
In my opinion, about 99% of those Match Game front game questions were hard.  Match-Up for MG '90 and the Super/Audience Match to me are easier. [/quote]
 A thread that hadn't been posted on for 5 months got revived for *this*?
--Mark

calliaume

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2004, 11:10:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 08:28 PM\'] A thread that hadn't been posted on for 5 months got revived for *this*? [/quote]
 What a revoltin' development this is, huh?

Treasure Hunt is easily the best game for dummies.  Lucky box, another lucky box, you pick one of thirty boxes, then you decide between the box and the small cash prize.  Couldn't be simpler.

Other games that didn't take a lot of brains to win some dough:

- Eye Guess
- Break the Bank '76
- The Magnificent Marble Machine
- Tattletales

familyfeudfan

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2004, 12:19:31 AM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' date=\'Nov 4 2003, 10:33 PM\'] [quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'Nov 3 2003, 12:11 PM\'] Name a Game Show past or present that even dumb people can play?

The Dating Game
 [/quote]
That's what I was thinking too.

zachhoran

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2004, 08:03:07 AM »
As said Peter Tomarken when interviewed in TV Guide in Summer 1987 re Bargain "piece of crap" Hunters: "We have contestants(on Bargain Hunters) who are not normally seen on game shows, as they don't have to take tests beforehand to see how well they score". I guess Peter forgot about TPIR when doing this interview....

Winkfan

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2004, 07:01:54 PM »
And let's not forget every 'dating' and/or 'relationship' game show starting with Love Connection, and going downhill from there.

Cordially,
Tammy Warner--the 'Barbara Stuart of the Big Board!'
In Loving Memory: Dolores "Roxanne" Rosedale (1929-2024) & Peter Marshall (1926-2024)