Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR question  (Read 2553 times)

bulldog_06

TPIR question
« on: April 21, 2004, 11:57:05 AM »
What if Bill Cullen had hosted The (New) Price Is Right in 1972? Would we still have a Price Is Right on CBS? How long would it have lasted? Would there would by any syndie versions? What are your thoughts?

Casey Buck

TPIR question
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 12:14:59 PM »
[quote name=\'bulldog_06\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 08:57 AM\']What if Bill Cullen had hosted The (New) Price Is Right in 1972? Would we still have a Price Is Right on CBS? How long would it have lasted? Would there would by any syndie versions? What are your thoughts?[/quote]
As much of an excellent host as Bill is (and a certain Executive Producer will show up at my home with a flaming pitchfork if I don't say he's excellent), I don't think Bill would have worked very well with TNPiR, because of all the walking he would have to do (to travel from Contestant's Row to the pricing game); with Bill having a fairly noticable limp due to his childhood polio illness, it would have looked very awkward.

Still, his bantering with the contestants might have been very interesting...

Jimmy Owen

TPIR question
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 12:41:38 PM »
Here's what I think could have been done, the staging would have Bill seated on a desk on one side, contestants on the other (sorta like it had always been done).  Center stage would be for for the IUFB.  Behind IUFB would be a turntable (behind curtain until needed) for the three pricing games of the day.  Elbow grabbers would have been utilized to lead the contestants from their areas to the games.  Bill could do everything from where he was or move to the center stage off camera with a railing or some such staging for stability.  Of course, Bill was unavailable for the daytime show anyway and in NYC, but it could be done.  I'm not sure if he minded not being part of the new show, busy as he was.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Matt Ottinger

TPIR question
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 01:08:14 PM »
There is a newspaper article from around 1971 that says Goodson-Todman was talking to Cullen about hosting the new version.  Keep in mind, though, that the job ultimately went to Dennis James.  G-T expected to make its money from the lucrative syndication market, the same way they had with new versions of WML? and TTTT.  The CBS daytime edition was virtually an afterthought.

As much of an excellent host as Bill is (and a certain Executive Producer will show up at my home with a flaming pitchfork if I don't say he's excellent)
I love to see our members toe the company line!
the staging would have Bill seated on a desk on one side, contestants on the other (sorta like it had always been done)
Interesting, but I really don't think the show would have to have been so much different than it is now.  I agree that Bill should have railings or other items to lean or sit on, but he was certainly mobile enough to get from place to place off camera, and the stage really isn't that large.  It would certainly have to look a little different than Barker's version, but not necessarily that much so.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 01:12:24 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

aaron sica

TPIR question
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 02:03:31 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 01:08 PM\'] The CBS daytime edition was virtually an afterthought.
 [/quote]
 That in itself is a very interesting scenario to think about as well - imagine if the show had never made it as a network version! I would imagine it's virtually guaranteed if it had never made it to network television, CBS's 11:00 a.m. (EST) hour would probably have been handed over to the local affiliates by now..

Neumms

TPIR question
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 03:19:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 12:08 PM\'] There is a newspaper article from around 1971 that says Goodson-Todman was talking to Cullen about hosting the new version.  Keep in mind, though, that the job ultimately went to Dennis James. [/quote]
 Another interesting question would be what if Dennis James hosted the CBS version.

I've read he was G/T's choice--Barker was pushed by CBS. It seems to me that CBS was right. Aside from longevity, Barker is just a funner host. But then, I'm judging James' from hazy memories, only of NTT and TPIR. Do people who've seen more of his work feel differently?

bulldog_06

TPIR question
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 03:23:33 PM »
Yes, that is another question to ponder on? What if James hosted the daytime version, judging from what from an audio clip that I heard, he is more serious than Barker, and less fun. So I think if James would have done it, he probably would have had an experience kinda like when he was on Name That Tune.

Kevin Prather

TPIR question
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 06:43:51 PM »
Just to be sure, was Dennis James the one who hosted "Your All American College Show"?

Jimmy Owen

TPIR question
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 07:19:38 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'Apr 21 2004, 05:43 PM\'] Just to be sure, was Dennis James the one who hosted "Your All American College Show"? [/quote]
 No, that was Rich Little pretending to be Dennis James.  Just kidding, Dennis and Rich both hosted that show.  And before anyone asks, yes, it's the same Dennis James that was in "Rocky III."

Craig Karlberg

TPIR question
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 05:18:23 AM »
So, basically Dennis James was G-T's choice for TNPiR in '71 while CBS was pushing Bob Barker.  Was there an audition session for both before CBS settled for Barker as "permanent" host?

Jimmy Owen

TPIR question
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 08:38:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 04:18 AM\'] So, basically Dennis James was G-T's choice for TNPiR in '71 while CBS was pushing Bob Barker.  Was there an audition session for both before CBS settled for Barker as "permanent" host? [/quote]
 As Matt said, the original destination was syndication, so Bob wasn't even an option there due to the syndicated "Truth or Consequences."  Even at that point, I would gather Bob was big enough of a name to not have to "try out" for a gig and his work on the pageants for CBS probably was audition enough.  I would be very surprised to learn that Bob had to participate in a "Gong Show," so to speak, for the execs.  Still, it has been reported the first daytime TPiRs were taped well in advance, so those might be classified as auditions.

Ian Wallis

TPIR question
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 08:52:37 AM »
Still, it has been reported the first daytime TPiRs were taped well in advance, so those might be classified as auditions.

I believe only the first one was taped well in advance - I'm pretty sure the slate on the studio master we all have states May 1972.  The others from the first week were taped in August 1972.  My theory is that the first episode was actually the pilot - but it was done as a regular episode and therefore aired.

Interestingly, the first week of "Gambit" was also taped in May 1972, despite the fact that didn't air until September.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR question
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 10:28:43 AM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 08:52 AM\'] I believe only the first one was taped well in advance - I'm pretty sure the slate on the studio master we all have states May 1972.  The others from the first week were taped in August 1972. [/quote]
I don't remember where I read this, but I've seen someone say that the first show was also taped in August, the day before the second and fifth shows.  That could easily be wrong, though, because I can't recall whether or not there was any evidence backing up the claim...and besides, from what you guys are saying, the studio master appears to contradict it.

EDIT:  Found it.  This thread at Golden-Road.net:  http://golden-road.net/modules.php?name=Fo...83d18cd8454d3cb

Like I said before, no idea whether or not the guy's reading the slate correctly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 10:46:00 AM by Steve Gavazzi »

ChuckNet

TPIR question
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 06:54:05 PM »
I believe only the first one was taped well in advance - I'm pretty sure the slate on the studio master we all have states May 1972. The others from the first week were taped in August 1972. My theory is that the first episode was actually the pilot - but it was done as a regular episode and therefore aired.

That makes sense, considering the differences from that ep and shows 2-5 (a podium on the turntable for PGs, different Showcase price reveals, etc.).

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")