Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Street Smarts Coming to GSN!  (Read 5211 times)

bandit_bobby

Street Smarts Coming to GSN!
« on: April 22, 2004, 07:53:45 AM »
I just read tvgameshows.net this morning, and found out that GSN has acquired reruns of past episodes of Street Smarts. As for the current run, it's expected to return next season.

David Lawrence

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 09:05:48 AM »
As one who watches Street Smarts regularly, I'm happy to hear about both the likelihood of a new season and the GSN rerun purchase. I haven't been thrilled with GSN's new shows or its recent acquisitions so this will (for me at least) be an improvement.

CaseyAbell

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 09:45:30 AM »
Not sure, but isn't the Prof a fan of Street Smarts? If so, I can see why GSN leaked this news to him. He's been grumbling about stuff like Kenny vs. Spenny and Spy TV. I guess we'll get a press release before too long.

From what I've seen of the show, it seemed pleasant, kinda goofy. Maybe GSN will strip the show at 11:00 or 11:30. PM, that is.

BrandonFG

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 10:51:07 AM »
[quote name=\'CaseyAbell\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 08:45 AM\'] Not sure, but isn't the Prof a fan of Street Smarts? If so, I can see why GSN leaked this news to him. He's been grumbling about stuff like Kenny vs. Spenny and Spy TV. I guess we'll get a press release before too long.

From what I've seen of the show, it seemed pleasant, kinda goofy. Maybe GSN will strip the show at 11:00 or 11:30. PM, that is. [/quote]
 I believe he's become good friends with Frank Nicotero, so I'm guessing Frank might've given him at least a heads-up about the acquisition.

With all the comments about GSN's new direction, this might actually stop some of the complaints.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Fedya

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 10:53:41 AM »
I've thought for a while that Street Smarts would be a good acquisition for GSN.  In theory, it should get a bit more of the young demographic that GSN and the rest of the TV world think is the only thing that matters, and it would fit in well late at night.
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

inturnaround

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 11:30:32 AM »
Street Smarts is certainly a good acquisition for GSN. It reinforces their new focus, while appeasing those who like game shows. Granted, it's not the best out there, but it does successfully combine "reality" with a game.

It's also a great pickup because it's essentially new to a lot of people. Many stations aired this show in impossible to find overnight slots or on little-watched UHF stations or both.

I gotta give GSN mad props on this one.
Joe Coughlin     
Human

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 12:13:31 PM »
Add Sex Wars, based on the MGM/Sony posts on the board, and you'll have an interesting one-hour contemporary GSN late evening block.

davemackey

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 03:09:43 PM »
I could see this being a good early-evening show for GSN (maybe retire "Pyramid" reruns?). In many markets (including New York), "Street Smarts" has exclusively run in the overnight, so many people could be seeing these for the first time.

I really wouldn't think that this show is on the list of the Prof's favorites, but clearly he gets a kick out of it.

David Lawrence

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 03:47:11 PM »
I hadn't heard of the show until it's 2nd season. Even now with a prime-time spot on one of my local channels, it sometimes gets bumped to the middle of the night if the station airs a baseball or basketball game. So I'm expecting to see a lot of these reruns for the first time.

Of course if I wanted to get cynical, I'd predict that GSN will start by showing all the celebrity editions from all four years before getting into the regular episodes.

gsnstooge

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 04:11:22 PM »
That is good, but I am still waiting for Classic Concentration and NYSI '89 to both be on that cable channel.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2004, 04:31:40 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:11 PM\'] That is good, but I am still waiting for Classic Concentration and NYSI '89 to both be on that cable channel. [/quote]
Don't hold your breath. :-)

From what it looks like, GSN is going for more recent and "edgier" or "hip" programming, prolly shows made within the last 5 years. More traditional games like CC and NYSI are apparently the opposite direction of what GSN wants.

Besides, supposedly Chuck Henry doesn't want his NYSI eps. to air, and I forget the ownership issue with Concentration.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 04:36:03 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GS Warehouse

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2004, 04:37:50 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 04:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:11 PM\'] That is good, but I am still waiting for Classic Concentration and NYSI '89 to both be on that cable channel. [/quote]
Don't hold your breath. :-) [snip] ... I forget the ownership issue with Concentration. [/quote]
 Concentration is an NBC property.  Weakest Link didn't work on GSN, so why would CC?

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 05:09:55 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 04:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:11 PM\'] That is good, but I am still waiting for Classic Concentration and NYSI '89 to both be on that cable channel. [/quote]
Don't hold your breath. :-) [snip] ... I forget the ownership issue with Concentration. [/quote]
Concentration is an NBC property.  Weakest Link didn't work on GSN, so why would CC? [/quote]
 You're comparing apples and oranges.  How are Classic Concentration and Weakest Link similar, outside of both airing on NBC?

tvwxman

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 06:17:52 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:37 PM\'] [quote name=\'fostergray82\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 04:31 PM\'] [quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 03:11 PM\'] That is good, but I am still waiting for Classic Concentration and NYSI '89 to both be on that cable channel. [/quote]
Concentration is an NBC property.  Weakest Link didn't work on GSN, so why would CC? [/quote]
 and just what makes you suggest that Weak Link on GSN doesn't work? It's still there isn't it?

This logic doesn't make sense without concrete proof, like a GSN exec saying "My God. We need to dump Weakest Link, but the FCC won't let us pull it without forfeiting our license."
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

uncamark

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'Apr 22 2004, 05:17 PM\']This logic doesn't make sense without concrete proof, like a GSN exec saying "My God. We need to dump Weakest Link, but the FCC won't let us pull it without forfeiting our license."[/quote]
Cable networks don't require FCC licenses and aren't regulated by the FCC.

At least for now, since there have been rumbles in Washington about regulation for cable thanks to Nipplegate (which was produced by MTV, even if it did air on the broadcast CBS network).  They'll probably die down after lots of National Cable Television Association lobbying money and the election in November.