Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: PYL- Has this ever happened?  (Read 12972 times)

Ian Wallis

Re: PYL- Has this ever happened?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 08:12:35 PM »
Did the contestant know that the $2500 space would have given them the tie? In the heat of the moment, I could see somebody doing that math incorrectly.

I remember the episode from the USA rerun - Peter said that he needs $2500 to tie, any more and he's the champion - so he knew that $2500 would tie.

If GSN ever picks up the rest of the episodes, this should be the first one up.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 08:59:07 PM »
Greed as in "I want more than $5250", or greed as in "I want to be the only winner"? The former is greed, the latter is douchebaggery.
Forgive me, I was on my iPad.

Barring anything like "he didn't hear or do the math by looking at the scoreboards before the last spin," all I can think of is that he wanted to win more than $5,250 on that episode. That makes a picogram more sense on Whammy since you're there just the once, but did Press Your Luck simultaneously have an appearance limit as well as a winnings limit?

I think that there must have been one of those things I listed as it would be easy to not hear or pay attention to something because it is so easy to take the thing that creates a tie, makes you a new best friend forever.
Travis L. Eberle

beatlefreak84

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 11:12:44 PM »
Greed as in "I want more than $5250", or greed as in "I want to be the only winner"? The former is greed, the latter is douchebaggery.
Forgive me, I was on my iPad.

Barring anything like "he didn't hear or do the math by looking at the scoreboards before the last spin," all I can think of is that he wanted to win more than $5,250 on that episode. That makes a picogram more sense on Whammy since you're there just the once, but did Press Your Luck simultaneously have an appearance limit as well as a winnings limit?

I think that there must have been one of those things I listed as it would be easy to not hear or pay attention to something because it is so easy to take the thing that creates a tie, makes you a new best friend forever.

When the winnings limit was changed to $50,000, Peter had stated that the appearance limit was "5 shows or $50,000 in winnings".  He also mentioned that to a contestant who was on his fifth show and told him, regardless of the outcome, it was his last show (Chris from 1984).

My first thought with this situation was not doing the math correctly, but I'll advance another theory:  not knowing what the rule for a tie was.  He may have thought there would be a tie-breaker where he may not come out on top.

And, yes; I'm positive the rule for a tie was spelled out in the rules packet given to the contestants before the show.  But, I'll mention a bit of my own perspective:  When I was on WoF in 2006, we had that big packet of rules which, among other things, explained what happened if there was a tie after the final puzzle.  Even with that, and even with everyone signing a form acknowledging they read the rules, when someone in the audience asked Charlie between tapings what happened when there was a tie, I was the *only* contestant in the pool who actually knew the answer.

I kind of put it akin to somebody always commenting, "You can have a game end in a tie?!?" anytime an NFL game does just that, even though it's been a possibility for decades.

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Thunder

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 11:43:17 PM »
With that being said, what is Wheel of Fortune's tiebreaker procedure?

I'm guessing a tossup puzzle?

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 11:50:58 PM »
With that being said, what is Wheel of Fortune's tiebreaker procedure?

I'm guessing a tossup puzzle?
Yup, for $0. Before that it was another speed-up round, I think complete with another Final Spin.

Double Stuffed Sidebar: Since making the Prize Puzzle Permanent has there been a tie?
Travis L. Eberle

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 12:04:57 AM »
Before that it was another speed-up round, I think complete with another Final Spin.
Yes, there was another Final Spin.

The daytime show, at least during the Pat and Rolf eras, brought all three players back the next day to continue the game.
The Game Show Forum: beating the **** out of the competition since 2003.

I'm just a mind wanderer, walking in eternity...

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 12:09:57 AM »
The daytime show, at least during the Pat and Rolf eras, brought all three players back the next day to continue the game.
The one time it happened during Bob's tenure they did a final puzzle with vowels worth nothing and consonants a dollar-forty each.*
Travis L. Eberle

aaron sica

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 07:35:33 AM »

And from what I remember from one happening that aired in summer '84 (not sure if it was a rerun or not), no bonus round played. That was....awkward.

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 11:24:36 AM »
Yeah, instead of a Bonus Round they'd fill the last segment with something else. In the one instance I know to be among traders, from November '86 (Mike/Jill/Dawn), Pat and Vanna talked a bit and showed off the device from which the players drew numbers to determine who started the game.

Also notable is that the next episode was considered a continuation of a player's first, second, or third day. Pat noted this in the aforementioned episode as well.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2015, 02:17:13 PM »
Does that also mean that the scores carried over?  (I guess that probably wouldn't mean much in the shopping era, but it would still be interesting to know.)

WarioBarker

• Mind Wanderer
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »
Not sure on that, sorry.

whewfan

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2015, 07:27:46 PM »
Okay here's another "has this ever happened" scenario...

Has a player ever not earned ANY spins in either the first or second round? I realize the questions are not very difficult, and Peter has a set of questions that are super easy to almost guarantee that someone gets at least ONE spin.

snowpeck

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »
Okay here's another "has this ever happened" scenario...

Has a player ever not earned ANY spins in either the first or second round? I realize the questions are not very difficult, and Peter has a set of questions that are super easy to almost guarantee that someone gets at least ONE spin.
One of the players in this episode didn't earn any spins in the first round (and still won the first big board round.) Don't know if anybody ever bombed out in both question rounds though.

Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2015, 11:55:46 PM »
Has a player ever not earned ANY spins in either the first or second round?
Three instances of one or the other, that we're aware of.

#115 - A Round 1 zero, doesn't get passed any.
#427 - Shown above, this was the other Round 1 zero, and as you can see, he got spins passed to him and won the round. ("Damon's found a new way to play this game.")
#539 - The only Round 2 zero on record, and it was the leader, which fortunately led to passed spins coming their way.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now