Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Wheel spins its way to San Fransisco  (Read 3958 times)

tmq800

Wheel spins its way to San Fransisco
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2004, 09:24:48 PM »
I thought that since Wheel was coming to SF, the Chronicle would have covered the story.  

As for TV reports, KGO is the only TV station allowed to report on Wheel since they air Wheel every night.
I didn't see any reports on Wheel on the rival TV stations.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2004, 09:28:09 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 06:24 PM\'] I thought that since Wheel was coming to SF, the Chronicle would have covered the story.  
 [/quote]
 You'd think that, but since the Chronicle owns Channel 4, (get it, KRON?) which is a competitor to KGO, I'm sure they see no reason to promote the show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2004, 09:50:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 09:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 06:24 PM\'] I thought that since Wheel was coming to SF, the Chronicle would have covered the story. 
 [/quote]
You'd think that, but since the Chronicle owns Channel 4, (get it, KRON?) which is a competitor to KGO, I'm sure they see no reason to promote the show. [/quote]
 Actually, they don't... the Chronicle sold KRON to Young Broadcasting a few years ago.  NBC wanted it but Young outbid NBC; NBC retaliated by affiliating with KNTV and later buying it.

Unless KRON still has some arrangements with the Chronicle (does anyone know?), there's no reason for them not to cover it.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 09:59:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:21 PM\'] [quote name=\'GSWitch\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 07:02 PM\'] Elementary my dear Clemon.  It will never happen!  In the past 8 years, Fox has NEVER featured the Canada teams or even televise O Canada @ the Baseball All-Star Game. [/quote]
Oh my GAWD.

If there wasn't conclusive proof that you were utterly cracked in the head before, we have THIS gem.

Do you know WHY Fox doesn't run the Expos or Blue Jays nationally? There's no conspiracy theory, no "snubbing" of Canada, they SIMPLY DON'T OWN THE FREAKIN' RIGHTS.

(For that matter, neither do they own the local rights, along with those of the Red Sox and Padres.)

Both teams sell their broadcast rights to Canadian television networks, The Score and CBC, respectively. So they get to nationally broadcast games. That's all.

So now we have gender issues AND network paranoia. Dude, you seriously need to seek professional help.

(By the way, Fox has aired "O Canada" plenty of times, both regionally and nationally, when they had the network rights to hockey.) [/quote]
Or the Phillies, Yankees, Orioles, Royals and Twins (Minnesota just started their own regional sports channel--and the Cubs and White Sox will break from FSN starting next season).

And for the record, GSWitch, Fox has shown Blue Jays or Expos games in the past--it mostly has to do with whether the teams are contending (or playing a team that is).  I know Fox showed a Montreal/NY Mets game in 2000--the year the Mets wound up playing the NY Yankees in the World Series (I'm pretty sure they also showed Toronto/Cleveland the same year as the Indians were fighting for a wild-card spot that wound up going to Seattle).  Granted, that's four years ago, but at least we can debunk the "never".

I'm reasonably sure that if an Expos or Blue Jays game meant something to the playoff chase that Fox would be able to find a way to televise it, even if the game's in Canada.

1/1/05 ADDENDUM:  Since Dave was kind enough to hyperlink this, it should be pointed out that FSN North reacquired Twins cable rights when their regional sports channel folded in May 2004 (fees for operators to carry the channel were deemed too exhorbitant, and many carriers were unwilling to pay said fees to be able to add the channel).

Doug
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 01:38:09 AM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

clemon79

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2004, 10:01:01 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'Apr 18 2004, 06:50 PM\'] Actually, they don't... the Chronicle sold KRON to Young Broadcasting a few years ago.  NBC wanted it but Young outbid NBC; NBC retaliated by affiliating with KNTV and later buying it.
 [/quote]
 Mea culpa. Is THAT why the whole KNTV deal went down? Interesting. I'd wondered.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2004, 04:59:59 AM »
I have no problem with the media not saying a whole lot about Wheel's shows in San Fransisco as long as I steer clear of any premature gameplay spoilers.  I'd like to be surprised whenever those shows come on.  Heck, I don't have any idea what happened there this weekend so I'll just have to wait a couple of weeks just to see what happens.

tmq800

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2004, 11:55:01 PM »
I typed Wheel of Fortune at the GOOGLE search engine, and two local papers in the Bay Area have articles on Wheel in SF.  They are The Oakland Tribune, and the San Mateo Daily Journal.

tmq800

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2004, 08:43:55 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'Apr 14 2004, 10:36 AM\'] Sounds like a great few weeks! [/quote]

It better be great!  Otherwise, I will be bummed out until fall.

clemon79

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2004, 09:05:34 PM »
[quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'May 1 2004, 05:43 PM\'] It better be great!  Otherwise, I will be bummed out until fall. [/quote]
 If the quality of your life is really predicated on how much you enjoy watching a game show, you would be well-served to explore some new hobbies.

dzinkin

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2004, 09:06:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:05 PM\'] [quote name=\'tmq800\' date=\'May 1 2004, 05:43 PM\'] It better be great!  Otherwise, I will be bummed out until fall. [/quote]
If the quality of your life is really predicated on how much you enjoy watching a game show, you would be well-served to explore some new hobbies. [/quote]
 Quiet, Chris!  Maybe he'll be too bummed out to post. :-)

tmq800

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2004, 06:53:00 PM »
I'm rooting for the contestant from Mountain View.  She'll be on Monday.

Two mother-daughter teams who won big this week were from San Mateo.

Anybody who's posting live there?