Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Prop Question  (Read 3335 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
TPIR Prop Question
« on: April 27, 2004, 02:33:41 AM »
Yeah, I'm still bitter about Superball being canned, but I have a legitimate question about it:

Did the art department take an old skee ball game, remove a couple of the rings, do a new paint job and add the light board at the top, or make one complete from scratch?

On another note, which of the two options would have been cheaper to do, as far as total cost?

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 02:39:36 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'Apr 26 2004, 11:33 PM\'] Did the art department take an old skee ball game, remove a couple of the rings, do a new paint job and add the light board at the top, or make one complete from scratch?

On another note, which of the two options would have been cheaper to do, as far as total cost?
 [/quote]
 Immeasurably easier to make one from scratch. To wit:

* durability: doesn't have to be build to withstand days and days of continual use, is used at most once a week or so for 5 minutes.

* electronics: unnecessary: Game can be scored manually

* you'd have to modify a regular skeeball lane so much to make it look like that, when it's just easier to make one from scratch.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tvrandywest

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 01:12:11 PM »
Everything at that show is built from scratch. The CBS set shop is one of the most respected facilities in the industry (WOF and many other outsiders use the shop).

The announce podium at Price is the original from Johnny O with only minor modifications from during Rod's era. It can't accommodate the new new pieces of equipment it's now holding strapped to the side (headphone amp, etc.). I helped design a new podium (contributing the announcer's ergonomic considerations, while the audio folks designed for their needs). When I suggested that some parts of the existing podium could be modified and utililized (because I wanted some of Johnny on the set) they were far more interested in working from scratch - I got the impression they always do. And the newest game created by Mandel will debut soon with an impressive layout designed and built from scratch.

And you can't believe what the cost estimate was for the custom podium. Good design people and craftsmen don't come cheap!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

gaubster2

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 07:50:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 12:12 PM\'] Everything at that show is built from scratch. The CBS set shop is one of the most respected facilities in the industry (WOF and many other outsiders use the shop).

The announce podium at Price is the original from Johnny O with only minor modifications from during Rod's era. It can't accommodate the new new pieces of equipment it's now holding strapped to the side (headphone amp, etc.). I helped design a new podium (contributing the announcer's ergonomic considerations, while the audio folks designed for their needs). When I suggested that some parts of the existing podium could be modified and utililized (because I wanted some of Johnny on the set) they were far more interested in working from scratch - I got the impression they always do. And the newest game created by Mandel will debut soon with an impressive layout designed and built from scratch.

And you can't believe what the cost estimate was for the custom podium. Good design people and craftsmen don't come cheap!

Randy
tvrandywest.com [/quote]

Randy, how much of Johnny's podium will stay on the set?  They absolutely need to keep as much of Johhny in that studio as possible!!

tyshaun1

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 08:05:38 PM »
Randy, how much of Johnny's podium will stay on the set?  They absolutely need to keep as much of Johhny in that studio as possible!!
Sir, if you actually read the post, Randy says they're building it from scratch, so I'd assume none. Ya know, it'd be interesting if CBS could make a TV City museum, considering how many classic programs originated there, like All In The Family, Carol Burnett, TPIR, Good Times, Blackout (OK, maybe not all classic ;)).

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 08:06:35 PM by tyshaun1 »

TimK2003

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 09:11:02 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 01:39 AM\']

Immeasurably easier to make one from scratch. To wit:

* durability: doesn't have to be build to withstand days and days of continual use, is used at most once a week or so for 5 minutes.

* electronics: unnecessary: Game can be scored manually

* you'd have to modify a regular skeeball lane so much to make it look like that, when it's just easier to make one from scratch. [/quote]
*  Girth:  I would assume the weight of the Super Ball prop would have been a fraction of your average everyday Skee-Ball arcade game.  The ability to swiftly move the prop in and out is a big consideration -- the lighter, the better.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 09:12:03 PM by TimK2003 »

tvrandywest

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 11:07:45 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'Apr 27 2004, 04:05 PM\']
Randy, how much of Johnny's podium will stay on the set?  They absolutely need to keep as much of Johhny in that studio as possible!!
Sir, if you actually read the post, Randy says they're building it from scratch, so I'd assume none. [/quote]
Thanks for clarifying the otherwise clear, Tyshaun  ;-)

And if they go ahead with building the new podium, maybe it truly is time for the last link to Johnny to be scrapped. From my observation, sadly there's very little of him left there other than the wonderful memories of the staff and crew members who truly loved working with him.

And while on the topic, there will be an update to the Johnny O Tribute on my website posted as soon as a certain webmaster (who shall remain nameless) can get to it. Look for an added 1,000 words including one amazing rememberance from Barker about the day he learned John would be announcing "Price". Look for some new pictures, too. It's a labor of love for me, and I hope an enjoyable read for anyone who's a fan of John's.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 27, 2004, 11:10:09 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2004, 07:32:40 PM »
I've noticed a new, wider podium on the Price set this week. Would that be the one referred to here, or just an extra wider podium they had in storage while (if?) they make the new podium?

Don't know where the original podium went. Knowing how much stuff they store, I'm guessing it's gotta be somewhere. Right? Right?

--
Scott Robinson

cmjb13

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2004, 07:46:48 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 07:32 PM\'] I've noticed a new, wider podium on the Price set this week. Would that be the one referred to here, or just an extra wider podium they had in storage while (if?) they make the new podium?

Don't know where the original podium went. Knowing how much stuff they store, I'm guessing it's gotta be somewhere. Right? Right?

--
Scott Robinson [/quote]
The new podium is now officially in use having debuted in the studio on Monday.

The new podium is pretty big and cost about $4,000 to build. It's also autographed inside: 4/5/04 Rich Fields.

I had a brief conversation with Rich Fields (BTW, super nice guy) and he had asked what had happened to the old podium. He was told it was in CBS warehouse/storage with a blanket over it saying something along the lines of "Do not remove from this place, Bob Barker". You can rest assured it won't be thrown away.

There may be plans to put the podium outside the contestant waiting area housed inside a window so everybody could see the original podium.

I was curious myself on what happened to the podium. When I asked, I was told "You can't have it!".  I wasn't even thinking in that direction. Besides, I would have no way to get it home.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 07:47:43 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2004, 08:23:37 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 06:46 PM\']
Besides, I would have no way to get it home. [/quote]
 You could rent a U-Haul.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve Gavazzi

TPIR Prop Question
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 08:46:25 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Apr 28 2004, 07:46 PM\'] Besides, I would have no way to get it home. [/quote]
 Call Boden.  I'm sure he could find you something. :-)