Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Newest clip of "$20,000 Pyramid"  (Read 4332 times)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Newest clip of "$20,000 Pyramid"
« on: April 09, 2005, 12:23:51 PM »
How the heck did "Hamburger On a Grill" get through?  Was Old Man Stewart not in the studio at the time?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 12:24:07 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

aaron sica

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 12:23 PM\']How the heck did "Hamburger On a Grill" get through?  Was Old Man Stewart not in the studio at the time?
[snapback]81182[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wondered the same thing, too. Must have been the same judge who didn't buzz Tony Randall on "stuffings in little bottles of pills".

CJBojangles

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 01:41:16 PM »
From what I recall of the few episodes I've seen, the judges were much more lenient during the early days of the show, in both $10K and $20K Pyramids. I was also mesmerized by the "stuffings in little bottles of pills" acceptance for "Things made of cotton".

I think it wasn't until the later years, the new set, the $25K and $100K series where they started giving away the really big bucks, that they started to bear down on the rules. The "no preposition" rule probably wasn't written in stone until then, and I didn't even hear anything specifically about preposition use until Osmond's Pyramid. Dick always just said "Don't be descriptive".

passwordplus

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 02:12:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 12:23 PM\']How the heck did "Hamburger On a Grill" get through?  Was Old Man Stewart not in the studio at the time?
[snapback]81182[/snapback]
[/quote]

I haven't ever checked that link out, could you post it please

aaron sica

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 04:49:24 PM »
[quote name=\'passwordplus\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 02:12 PM\']I haven't ever checked that link out, could you post it please
[snapback]81190[/snapback]
[/quote]

http://www.flyingchai.net/page_o_clips.html

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 05:05:17 PM »
I don't really see a cuckoo problem there. Then again, I didn't know MGP used the original Feud Theme as a TPIR cue...so who the hell am I?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005, 05:38:53 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 04:05 PM\']I don't really see a cuckoo problem there.
[/quote]
The problem was the fact that a preposition was used in the clue. Hamburgers on a grill.  Had he said "grilling hamburgers", I wouldn't have had a beef with the clue.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2005, 06:00:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 02:38 PM\'][quote name=\'PYLdude\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 04:05 PM\']I don't really see a cuckoo problem there.
[/quote]
The problem was the fact that a preposition was used in the clue. Hamburgers on a grill.  Had he said "grilling hamburgers", I wouldn't have had a beef with the clue.
[snapback]81213[/snapback]
[/quote]
A slightly related issue came up on $100K the other day. They got crossed up at the top on "Things That Are Wonderful", and Dick sent Teresa Ganzel screaming with "The World of Walt Disney," which of course gave the player the right answer instantly. And the judge didn't buzz it. Now, it was just the usual post-mortem, but I have to wonder if that would have flown if the clock were running, since, while it's being used in that form to imply the proper name ("The Wonderful World of Walt Disney" was a Sunday-night staple on ABC for forever and a day), it's also pretty clearly prepositional..."Walt Disney's World", while potentially less useful as a clue, would have been perfectly legal phrasing.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 05:00 PM\']A slightly related issue came up on $100K the other day. They got crossed up at the top on "Things That Are Wonderful", and Dick sent Teresa Ganzel screaming with "The World of Walt Disney," which of course gave the player the right answer instantly. And the judge didn't buzz it. Now, it was just the usual post-mortem, but I have to wonder if that would have flown if the clock were running, since, while it's being used in that form to imply the proper name ("The Wonderful World of Walt Disney" was a Sunday-night staple on ABC for forever and a day), it's also pretty clearly prepositional..."Walt Disney's World", while potentially less useful as a clue, would have been perfectly legal phrasing.
[snapback]81219[/snapback]
[/quote]

I'm wondering could that be because it was using a semi-exact title, and so the context could be slightly different for that?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Blanquepage

• "Pacman cereal: it eats YOU!" - Geoff, Starcade
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 06:45:34 PM »
From what I've observed on 80s Pyramid, one CAN use a prepositional phrase with 'of' if it shows possession. However, you can use a prepositional phrase describing the location of something. Hamburger on a grill would have definitely been buzzed; Jackee Harry was buzzed on $100K Pyramid for "a wolf on a mountain" for Things That Howl as it described where the wolf was located.

Make sense? :-P

--Jamie

sshuffield70

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2005, 10:55:05 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 04:00 PM\']A slightly related issue came up on $100K the other day. They got crossed up at the top on "Things That Are Wonderful", and Dick sent Teresa Ganzel screaming with "The World of Walt Disney," which of course gave the player the right answer instantly. And the judge didn't buzz it. Now, it was just the usual post-mortem, but I have to wonder if that would have flown if the clock were running, since, while it's being used in that form to imply the proper name ("The Wonderful World of Walt Disney" was a Sunday-night staple on ABC for forever and a day), it's also pretty clearly prepositional..."Walt Disney's World", while potentially less useful as a clue, would have been perfectly legal phrasing.
[snapback]81219[/snapback]
[/quote]

I must have a slightly longer memory than Chris....though I wish I knew why. ;)

Prior to 1984 (the Eisner era), WWOD had been airing on NBC on Sunday nights at 7.  Also, some episodes had been aired on HBO when children's programming led off the late afternoon after 5PM ET.

aaron sica

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 10:55 PM\']
Prior to 1984 (the Eisner era), WWOD had been airing on NBC on Sunday nights at 7.  Also, some episodes had been aired on HBO when children's programming led off the late afternoon after 5PM ET.
[snapback]81263[/snapback]
[/quote]

Actually, WWOD went off of NBC in 1981 - it became known as simply "Walt Disney" when it moved to CBS. It aired on CBS until '83, and was off of broadcast TV until "The Disney Sunday Movie" debuted in 1986.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2005, 11:44:11 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' date=\'Apr 9 2005, 04:38 PM\']... Had he said "grilling hamburgers", I wouldn't have had a beef with the clue.
[snapback]81213[/snapback]
[/quote]
[throws raw hamburger at Mark]

To further illustrate the point: One time when the "Things that are punched" came up, the first clue that came out was "tickets on a bus" and got promptly razzed.  However, on "Things that are shuffled", the clue "a deck of cards" would be legal because "a card deck" is not a commonly used phrase.