Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR cues used on commercials/TV  (Read 4432 times)

cmjb13

TPIR cues used on commercials/TV
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 06:30:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Robair\' date=\'May 6 2004, 05:02 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 6 2004, 10:43 AM\'] Now, are you asking for shows that use TPiR cues, or TPiR cues used on other shows? 'Cuz the question is raised as to when they started using the MGHSH cue for Super Ball. SB debuted in '81, and MGHSH was '83. Did they use the same cue for the whole run of Super Ball? [/quote]
No, they used the "Starcrossed" mix for the early days of Super Ball. They didn't start using the MGHSH theme until just after that show went off the air on NBC.

As for the "Feud" cues, they were used on TPIR as early as May of 1976, two months before "Feud" went on the air, so technically they predated "Feud". The story goes that they took the track as it existed and then overlaid the country instruments on it at the request of Mark Goodson, who thought that piece of music, with some simple augmentation, would be a great "Feud" theme. [/quote]
 And the cue stopped being used because too many people associated the car cue with the Family Feud theme. So they stopped using it.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 07:01:31 PM »
Here's one for ya...if you're a Yankee fan you might notice that one of the car cues used on this year's Million Dollar Spectaculars was actually the theme used for MSG Network's coverage of Yankees baseball in the early 90s.

JayC

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 08:48:58 PM »
The end TPiR theme was used on an episode of "The Bernie Mac Show" a couple of months ago.  It was the one where Jordan's class has a candy sale.

Steve_Bier

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 09:51:34 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 6 2004, 05:30 PM\'] And the cue stopped being used because too many people associated the car cue with the Family Feud theme. So they stopped using it. [/quote]
 I wonder when they STOPPED using that cue. I recall seeing an episode of TPiR from 1981 or 1982 on GSN, where the main FF theme was used during a game of Lucky Seven (the car was a white and beige Jeep CJ7/Wrangler). This was also the epsiode, where the elderly gent guessed either 10 or 12 as the first numer (!!) and lost big time.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 09:58:06 PM »
As for the "Feud" cues, they were used on TPIR as early as May of 1976
What date?

Stan Blits wouldn't know this and it's his JOB. MAYBE Mike Malone would remember it. Some of you constantly amaze me. No, you astound me.

zachhoran

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve_Bier\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:51 PM\'] I recall seeing an episode of TPiR from 1981 or 1982 on GSN, during a game of Lucky Seven (the car was a white and beige Jeep CJ7/Wrangler). This was also the epsiode, where the elderly gent guessed either 10 or 12 as the first numer (!!) and lost big time. [/quote]
 Bob let him guess a number >9 in Lucky Seven? Talk about a misplay of the day.... And we thought the lady made a mistake guessing 9 in L7 on Saturday's MDS.

rugrats1

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »
This was also the epsiode, where the elderly gent guessed either 10 or 12 as the first numer (!!) and lost big time.

Sorry for going off-topic, but would Bob even allow contestants to give numbers other than single digits in Lucky Seven?

ClockGameJohn

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2004, 12:24:59 AM »
[quote name=\'FOXSportsFan\' date=\'May 6 2004, 06:01 PM\'] Here's one for ya...if you're a Yankee fan you might notice that one of the car cues used on this year's Million Dollar Spectaculars was actually the theme used for MSG Network's coverage of Yankees baseball in the early 90s. [/quote]
That cue is called "Baseball's Best," go figure?  :)  

(Yes, that's the real name of it, per Mr. Blits)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 12:25:14 AM by ClockGameJohn »

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2004, 05:18:45 AM »
I remember seeing an Old Navvy commercial where Family Feud was prominant there.  It's clear that theme was used as background music for that commercial.

sshuffield70

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2004, 10:09:50 AM »
Right.  And recall (gee, has it been 18 months already?) when the real show went to an '88 remix for its' music.

BTW, that remix is available at Game Show Ultraplex.

P. S.  I know it's in index form.  One of these days, I'll get that fixed.

FOXSportsFan

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2004, 06:47:48 PM »
Thanks for the fact CGJohn...baseball's best...Yankees...sadly, makes sense.

wvoutlaw2002

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2004, 02:32:02 AM »
[quote name=\'Jamey Greek\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:17 AM\'] On the NBC Comedy from 1986-1990 "Amen" Starring Sherman Hemsley about a church Deacon, there was a TPIR cue, used during an organ solo. [/quote]

On the NBC Comedy from 1986-1990 "Amen" Starring Sherman Hemsley about a church Deacon, there was a TPIR cue, used during an organ solo.

Well, since the show was "Amen", maybe they played "Amen, Brother Herbert".

adamjk

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2004, 06:11:42 PM »
Right. And recall (gee, has it been 18 months already?) when the real show went to an '88 remix for its' music.

BTW, that remix is available at Game Show Ultraplex.

P. S. I know it's in index form. One of these days, I'll get that fixed.

You got a ton of cues there. I saw you had one with Art James opening a Combs episode. You wouldn't happen to have one with Rod opening an episode would you?

sshuffield70

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 12:05:06 AM »
That one hasn't shown up yet.  But if I find it, I'll put it up.