Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spoiler-free TPIR complaint  (Read 6129 times)

Adam Nedeff

Spoiler-free TPIR complaint
« on: May 01, 2004, 08:43:54 PM »
Tonight's TPIR special REALLLLLY pushed me over the line in terms of how I feel about Temptation, at first it only slightly annoyed me, but now it ticks me off all the time. Why? Because it is a magnet for contesttants who have never actually seen it and behave like idiots, screaming and raving (especially the wizard playing it tonight) just because the number they picked lights up, even when Bob has ALREADY explained that those numbers aren't necessarily right or wrong.

Possible solutions:
1. Remove the *ding* sound effect when a number lights up. It's a scientifically-proven fact that stupid people equate bells with correct answers, so either have no SFX when the numbers light up, or a more "neutral" sound (like the Bullseye "freezing window" sound or the H2 "wrong key removed" sound)

2. Remove the board altogether and just have Bob write the numbers with a dry-erase marker.

3. Have the "beauty" in charge of the prize and tag remove the number from the tag and post it on a board.

Any G-T staff members past or present on this board, has this EVER been discussed in a meeting? It happens so often that it seems some solutions must have been discussed and rejected by now.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2004, 08:46:55 PM »
Of your suggestions, I think the best, and most feasible one is removing the sound effect.

On the other hand, there are a lot of games there that have a bell when an answer is given, whether or not it is right. Contestant's Row, Lucky Seven, Range Game, the list goes on.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 08:48:35 PM by whoserman »

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2004, 09:02:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:43 PM\'] Tonight's TPIR special REALLLLLY pushed me over the line in terms of how I feel about Temptation, at first it only slightly annoyed me, but now it ticks me off all the time. Why? Because it is a magnet for contesttants who have never actually seen it and behave like idiots, screaming and raving (especially the wizard playing it tonight) just because the number they picked lights up, even when Bob has ALREADY explained that those numbers aren't necessarily right or wrong.

Possible solutions:
1. Remove the *ding* sound effect when a number lights up. It's a scientifically-proven fact that stupid people equate bells with correct answers, so either have no SFX when the numbers light up, or a more "neutral" sound (like the Bullseye "freezing window" sound or the H2 "wrong key removed" sound)

2. Remove the board altogether and just have Bob write the numbers with a dry-erase marker.

3. Have the "beauty" in charge of the prize and tag remove the number from the tag and post it on a board.

Any G-T staff members past or present on this board, has this EVER been discussed in a meeting? It happens so often that it seems some solutions must have been discussed and rejected by now. [/quote]
I don't think they are going to change anything for this game unless it becomes a habit for contestants to scream EVERY time the game is played (numbers light up).

And especially since Temptation is one of my favorite games, I don't want to see anything changed to it.

For those who don't know, Make Your Move used to have the colored numbers lit for the appropriate prize before the reveal. They changed it because when contestants saw it lit before the reveal, they had thought they won. And so did the audience.

So there is somewhat of a precedent, but I don't think a change is necessary.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 09:02:57 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2004, 09:08:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 07:43 PM\'] Tonight's TPIR special REALLLLLY pushed me over the line in terms of how I feel about Temptation, Because it is a magnet for contesttants who have never actually seen it and behave like idiots, screaming and raving (especially the wizard playing it tonight) [/quote]

Well people get caught up in the moment, so I'm not going to blame the guy. However I can see your point. Something could be done to prevent mistaken excitement. Then again something could be done to prevent people from going up the wrong set of stairs too, but the show doesn't seem to be in any rush to fix that either. I guess these problems are just looked at as minor annoyances. In other words...... "No Big Deal"

John

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2004, 09:12:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 05:43 PM\'] It's a scientifically-proven fact that stupid people equate bells with correct answers [/quote]
It is? Please cite the study. They never seem to have a problem in Contestant's Row. They use the bell on billions of other games (Dice Game comes to mind) without issue.
Remove the board altogether and just have Bob write the numbers with a dry-erase marker.
Hey, while you're making the show look unbelievably cheap, why don't you replace those nice prizes with some grocery items? "We've given you $34.25 in valuable products...."
Have the "beauty" in charge of the prize and tag remove the number from the tag and post it on a board.
Only slightly less cheap.

Or - and here's an idea - pick some contestants with a clue instead of the first six fratboys and "BOB ROOLZ" T-shirt wearers that you see.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 09:12:54 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Skynet74

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 09:17:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:12 PM\']
Or - and here's an idea - pick some contestants with a clue instead of the first six fratboys and "BOB ROOLZ" T-shirt wearers that you see. [/quote]

Not always easy to pick 9 people who will know every game in a 10 second interview. You take your chances. If you had the job Chris.... even you might pick an occasional dolt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :-)

John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 09:19:53 PM by Skynet74 »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2004, 09:30:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 1 2004, 06:17 PM\'] Not always easy to pick 9 people who will know every game in a 10 second interview. You take your chances. If you had the job Chris.... even you might pick an occasional dolt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :-) [/quote]
 I agree, but I think most would agree that if they focussed on who would make a good contestant over what group is visiting that day or who has the best T-shirt, they wouldn't pick the Mah-Rones nearly as often.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

massman1

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2004, 09:38:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:08 PM\'] [quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 07:43 PM\'] Tonight's TPIR special REALLLLLY pushed me over the line in terms of how I feel about Temptation, Because it is a magnet for contesttants who have never actually seen it and behave like idiots, screaming and raving (especially the wizard playing it tonight) [/quote]

Well people get caught up in the moment, so I'm not going to blame the guy. However I can see your point. Something could be done to prevent mistaken excitement. Then again something could be done to prevent people from going up the wrong set of stairs too, but the show doesn't seem to be in any rush to fix that either. I guess these problems are just looked at as minor annoyances. In other words...... "No Big Deal"

John [/quote]
 Go ahead and blame him - Bob had already told him once (after his second guess) that all they were doing was putting his guesses on the board, and yet he continued to celebrate after each of the last two digits went up as well.  Silly.

cmjb13

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2004, 09:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 1 2004, 06:17 PM\'] Not always easy to pick 9 people who will know every game in a 10 second interview. You take your chances. If you had the job Chris.... even you might pick an occasional dolt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :-) [/quote]
I agree, but I think most would agree that if they focussed on who would make a good contestant over what group is visiting that day or who has the best T-shirt, they wouldn't pick the Mah-Rones nearly as often.[/quote]
People don't get chosen over what T-shirt they wear.

People get chosen because they seem like they would be a good contestant and they happened to be wearing a T-shirt.

Then people at home watching think they got chosen only because of the T-shirt, and next thing you know everybody's wearing one. Now your getting Mah-rones wearing T-shirts because everybody's (or at least most) wearing them.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 09:42:48 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Skynet74

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2004, 10:22:09 PM »
[quote name=\'massman1\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:38 PM\']
Go ahead and blame him - Bob had already told him once (after his second guess) that all they were doing was putting his guesses on the board, and yet he continued to celebrate after each of the last two digits went up as well.  Silly. [/quote]

I know... but he was to distracted by his friends in the audience to even hear Bob. He was a scatter brain with The Price Is Right version of A.D.D.  ;-)

John
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 10:22:57 PM by Skynet74 »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2004, 12:36:12 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 07:43 PM\'] Possible solutions:
 [/quote]
 Dude, are you serious?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dougal18

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2004, 02:31:57 AM »
In the UK Challenge are repeating the Bruce Forsyth era of TPIR.  One episode had a old lady who was last to bid.  The bell rang to signify that someone had got the exact price.  Little old lady thought she had won.  Lucky for her she was the player who bid exactly.

WhammyPower

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2004, 09:51:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 06:43 PM\'] Tonight's TPIR special REALLLLLY pushed me over the line in terms of how I feel about Temptation, at first it only slightly annoyed me, but now it ticks me off all the time. Why? Because it is a magnet for contestants who have never actually seen it and behave like idiots, screaming and raving (especially the wizard playing it tonight) just because the number they picked lights up, even when Bob has ALREADY explained that those numbers aren't necessarily right or wrong. [/quote]
Yet, this was the SAME GUY who didn't figure out what those handles on the side of the wheel were for.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2004, 09:51:41 AM by WhammyPower »

dmota104

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2004, 01:31:57 PM »
OK.  Call me crazy...

Ben Stein's Audience: YOU'RE CRAZY!!

...but I think part of the confusion lies within Bob automatically revealing the digit in the 10,000's place of the car's price ("the first number", for those of you in Magee).

True, we see that first number in the top and bottom rows of the Temptation board before the first gift is even rolled out.  But, I think if Bob offered a total of five gifts -- one for each of the five digits in the car's ARP -- *and* not reveal any numbers in the bottom row (making up the ARP) until the contestant decides to "go for broke" or take all the gifts and stop, that might solve the problem.

Other solution: give the Temptation board a slight makeover with something like "Your Bid" on the top row and "Car's/Truck's/Van's/whatever's Actual Retail Price" on the bottom; leave everything else alone.

And if those still don't solve the problem -- eh, time to put the game in the retirement home along with Penny Ante.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 01:34:45 PM by dmota104 »

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2004, 01:48:34 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:12 PM\'] [quote name=\'Adam Nedeff\' date=\'May 1 2004, 05:43 PM\'] It's a scientifically-proven fact that stupid people equate bells with correct answers [/quote]
It is? Please cite the study. [/quote]

I did a Pavlovian response test with my dogs.  Everything worked fine until they ate the Avon lady.

<LOVE> that joke, and the kids here don't even get it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 01:49:02 PM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.