Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Spoiler-free TPIR complaint  (Read 6128 times)

Steve McClellan

Spoiler-free TPIR complaint
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 02:20:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 3 2004, 10:48 AM\']I did a Pavlovian response test with my dogs.  Everything worked fine until they ate the Avon lady.

<LOVE> that joke, and the kids here don't even get it.[/quote]
Oh, we *got* it ... we just didn't *want* it! :-p

DrBear

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 03:29:39 PM »
Maybe it would have worked better as "Everything worked fine until they ate the BLANK."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 05:35:14 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 1 2004, 08:41 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 1 2004, 09:30 PM\'][quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 1 2004, 06:17 PM\'] Not always easy to pick 9 people who will know every game in a 10 second interview. You take your chances. If you had the job Chris.... even you might pick an occasional dolt. Not that there is anything wrong with that. :-) [/quote]
I agree, but I think most would agree that if they focussed on who would make a good contestant over what group is visiting that day or who has the best T-shirt, they wouldn't pick the Mah-Rones nearly as often.[/quote]
People don't get chosen over what T-shirt they wear.

People get chosen because they seem like they would be a good contestant and they happened to be wearing a T-shirt.

Then people at home watching think they got chosen only because of the T-shirt, and next thing you know everybody's wearing one. Now your getting Mah-rones wearing T-shirts because everybody's (or at least most) wearing them.[/quote]
Which is exactly how the whole routine with the costumes on "LMAD" got started.

Think Rog would have the guts to start putting on the tickets "NO COSTUMES OR *ANY* T SHIRTS CONTAINING MESSAGES?"  Barker *does* love to be adored.

tvwxman

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 05:41:17 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:35 PM\']
Then people at home watching think they got chosen only because of the T-shirt, and next thing you know everybody's wearing one. Now your getting Mah-rones wearing T-shirts because everybody's (or at least most) wearing them.[/QUOTE]
Which is exactly how the whole routine with the costumes on "LMAD" got started.

Think Rog would have the guts to start putting on the tickets "NO COSTUMES OR *ANY* T SHIRTS CONTAINING MESSAGES?"  Barker *does* love to be adored. [/quote]
 I think contestant selection tilted favoring folks in specially made shirts a long time ago. I think it's silly, and I for one would LOVE to see Roger ban it from the show. Give me contestants who display during the quickie-interview that they know Price is Right...

I can't help but think about the first episode, with a male contestant in a full suit! Man, has TPIR times changed!

ms
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Terry K

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 01:20:44 AM »
THey don't even ask if you know TPIR during the quickie interview.  All you get asked is where you're from and what do you do.

14gameshows

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 09:50:36 AM »
this is all about stupid & dumb college kids who don't know jack about TPIR.  Why the producers keep picking these idiots is beyond me.  Leave the show alone, dont change any elements unless it will damper the game play of a game or take too much time to play.  

I'm 22 years old and I've watched game shows all my life and this is ridiculous for people who are older than me and maybe watch TPIR maybe once and then they go on the show and Bob asks them if they have seen ______game or know how to play it, and the constant reply is, "I haven't seen it, OR Bob I've seen it and you'll have to refresh my memory" or some dumb answer which would indicate that they don't watch the show often.

I wish Roger would pick smart AND funny contestants!

(sigh)

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 10:53:29 AM »
I'm 22 years old and I've watched game shows all my life and this is ridiculous for people who are older than me and maybe watch TPIR maybe once and then they go on the show and Bob asks them if they have seen ______game or know how to play it, and the constant reply is, "I haven't seen it, OR Bob I've seen it and you'll have to refresh my memory" or some dumb answer which would indicate that they don't watch the show often.

You know, Not all college students are bad-many of us can't watch TPIR every day. If i went on the show and, oh Step-Up came on, I start acting really quiet because I'm excited/nervous, would that make me underserving to be on the show? No. I'm a big fan of the show and I don't even know all of the rules of every single game, or the "rules" that all people should know when playing Ten Chances, or frequent GP's in Pick a Pair, does that make me a bad contestant?
I'm asking this because I'm getting REALLY sick of people grousing and whining about college students on the show.
insert signature here

tommycharles

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 12:32:41 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 4 2004, 09:53 AM\'] You know, Not all college students are bad-many of us can't watch TPIR every day. If i went on the show and, oh Step-Up came on, I start acting really quiet because I'm excited/nervous, would that make me underserving to be on the show? No. I'm a big fan of the show and I don't even know all of the rules of every single game, or the "rules" that all people should know when playing Ten Chances, or frequent GP's in Pick a Pair, does that make me a bad contestant?
I'm asking this because I'm getting REALLY sick of people grousing and whining about college students on the show. [/quote]
 No kidding. Just because I happen to have a 10am class (damn Chemistry) means I'm undeserving to be on TPiR??

(Well...I'm also not 18, which makes me completely undeserving anyway, but the point still stands :-))

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 12:44:54 PM »
[quote name=\'14gameshows\' date=\'May 4 2004, 08:50 AM\'] this is all about stupid & dumb college kids who don't know jack about TPIR.  Why the producers keep picking these idiots is beyond me.  Leave the show alone, dont change any elements unless it will damper the game play of a game or take too much time to play.  

[/quote]
 Perhaps you could go back to school, and learn about double negatives, as well as using capital letters correctly.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2004, 01:45:09 PM »
I'm just jealous because back when I was a college student, they didn't choose college students and now that I'm middle-aged, they don't choose middle-aged people.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 01:47:23 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2004, 07:55:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:41 PM\']I think contestant selection tilted favoring folks in specially made shirts a long time ago. I think it's silly, and I for one would LOVE to see Roger ban it from the show. Give me contestants who display during the quickie-interview that they know Price is Right...[/quote]
I don't think contestant selection favors people in specially-made shirts. I think the problem is that anywhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of any given TPiR audience is wearing those shirts (and most of the rest are wearing military uniforms or college logo shirts). Some of those people are bound to be chosen for their personalities.

Enforcing a "no custom shirts" rule would be next to impossible. There are a handful of people who, despite a warning on the ticket and no evidence of it ever occurring on the show, try to wear some element of a costume. At least it's easy to remove a costume element. But what would the person in a custom shirt change into?

And I wouldn't be surprised to discover that with most audiences, it might not even be possible to find nine unrelated people who know the rules to the majority of the pricing games.

--
Scott Robinson

(If I ruled the world, the process would be to isolate each audience member and ask them to explain the Showcase Showdown. Which would be impractical, but I can dream.)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2004, 08:43:11 PM »
A couple days ago, there was a pro boxer who wound up winning the showcase.  The guy was wearing a shirt with his name on it, the TPIR logo on the back, and the "Everlast" logo on it in at least two places.  I was under the impression that corporate logos and copyrighted materials were forbidden?  Did the rules change, or did one just slip through the cracks?

Travis
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2004, 09:27:43 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 4 2004, 05:43 PM\'] A couple days ago, there was a pro boxer who wound up winning the showcase.  The guy was wearing a shirt with his name on it, the TPIR logo on the back, and the "Everlast" logo on it in at least two places. [/quote]
 Perhaps it was a tribute to DJ Everlast, the whimsical front man from the hip-hop group House Of Pain.

Or perhaps not.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2004, 11:02:23 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' date=\'May 4 2004, 07:43 PM\']A couple days ago, there was a pro boxer who wound up winning the showcase.  The guy was wearing a shirt with his name on it, the TPIR logo on the back, and the "Everlast" logo on it in at least two places.  I was under the impression that corporate logos and copyrighted materials were forbidden?  Did the rules change, or did one just slip through the cracks?[/quote]
Had to be through the cracks--the contestant coordinator kids probably didn't know what "Everlast" is.

Considering that Monte had that "TPIR" logo on the back of the jacket, if they knew they would probably still have looked for matching-colored duct tape to stick over the logos if it wouldn't have given away that he was getting picked.

And as for pixilating the logos, Joe Viewer would've probably thought that what was being pixilated was dirty words instead of a brand logo.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2004, 08:35:53 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'May 4 2004, 07:55 PM\'] (If I ruled the world, the process would be to isolate each audience member and ask them to explain the Showcase Showdown.) [/quote]
 Which, of course, would result in 325 people trying to explain the Showcase. :-)