Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud special (Combs) Fan fic  (Read 12694 times)

aaron sica

Family Feud special (Combs) Fan fic
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2004, 12:02:12 AM »
Your obsession with Family Feud scares me.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2004, 12:02:36 AM »
And I'm going to cite Voltaire yet again.

It's on topic. It's no worse than posting a made-up proposal, and in several ways better because there aren't any legal questions attached to this. He's got every right to post it.

And we have every right to think it sucks. But if you're gonna SAY it sucks, be prepared to defend your argument. So:

Adam, what you have here is a transcript of a fictional celebrity episode of Family Feud, with no parody, very little humor, and really no "storyline" per se. I'm not sure I would be interested in WATCHING this episode, much LESS reading it.

This is "fiction" only in the sense that it never happened. There is no story. Nothing compels the reader to care about the characters or what happens to them, nor interests him in finding out how it ends, save for the 4 Feud fans who are obsessive enough to want to find out who wins a game of Feud that never happened.

A game show, in and of itself, is not a story.

That said, if you enjoyed writing it, by all means, continue and enjoy. But as "fan fiction", it totally misses the mark.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 12:03:27 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrJWJustice

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 12:13:17 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:26 PM\'] I'm just going to say one thing... if this piece of -- uh, something -- can be posted, then there is nothing to bar me from posting an all-new edition of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire.  And I think J.W. and I can agree that this is prime contestant material. [/quote]
 Oh, I most definitely agree.  If you want to post -- uh, something -- like this, do a webpage and entitle it "Bad Game Show Fan Fiction" and post a link to here so that we can read it if we want, rather than sticking this smelly stuff under our noses and rubbing it in our eyes.

And to reply to the forthcoming question about why it's bad, all I need to say is I'm now cleaning the puke stain off my carpet.  'Nuf said, save to thank you for your contestant application for MORON!:  The All New Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire.

As soon as Zinc finishes his masters and me my doctorate this summer, we'll start the first episode (I hope!).

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2004, 06:48:54 AM »
I was planning on doing a whole 5 day week of it, and maybe do it regularly after that
Not on this board you won't.

It's not off-topic, it doesn't violate the rules, but it's certainly pushing it, not in terms of the dubious quality of the content, but in terms of the board real estate used.

If you want to post -- uh, something -- like this, do a webpage and entitle it "Bad Game Show Fan Fiction" and post a link to it here so that we can read it if we want, rather than sticking this smelly stuff under our noses and rubbing it in our eyes.
What he said.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:50:17 AM by chris319 »

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2004, 08:43:40 AM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:26 PM\'] I'm just going to say one thing... if this piece of -- uh, something -- can be posted, then there is nothing to bar me from posting an all-new edition of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire.  And I think J.W. and I can agree that this is prime contestant material. [/quote]
 Y'Know, I was JUST thinking about moroninare yesterday, and how there are one or two good candidates for it on this board...I guess great minds really do think alike!

Now to the critisism...Adam, I think it's great that you're doing some creative writing...You're at the age where doing A LOT of it will help you out in the long run...

But you seem stunned at the brash negativity surrounding your work. To me, it looks like you're fishing for compliments... We're not criticizing your love for GS, or your ability to write.... we're just knocked over by your fan-dom... For some of us die-hard game show nuts (Guilty), this was a little much.... knowing you want to spend quality time doing this regularly doesn't help either.

But DON'T stop writing on our behalf. Keep working on it and it'll do you some good in the future...

I for one ain't gonna step on the kid cause he's a die hard GS fan. I'm just gonna tell him to get out there and find better things to write about! :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2004, 10:11:46 AM »
Chris C and I didn't confer on this one, but our opinions are pretty much the same.  I admire (well, maybe "admire" isn't quite the right word) the amount of time and effort Adam put into this, but even though it doesn't specifiaclly violate any of our stated rules, I think the reaction from our other members is enough to prove that we don't really need any more of these stories here.

I'm just going to say one thing... if this piece of -- uh, something -- can be posted, then there is nothing to bar me from posting an all-new edition of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire. And I think J.W. and I can agree that this is prime contestant material.
I think the difference between this and Moronionaire is that Moronionaire would be set up to attack fellow members, even in a satirical way.  This, well, doesn't seem to have much of a point at all.

Finally, I wonder how this went over at Golden Road?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 10:12:20 AM by Matt Ottinger »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2004, 10:21:00 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 3 2004, 09:11 AM\'] Chris C and I didn't confer on this one, but our opinions are pretty much the same.  I admire (well, maybe "admire" isn't quite the right word) the amount of time and effort Adam put into this, but even though it doesn't specifiaclly violate any of our stated rules, I think the reaction from our other members is enough to prove that we don't really need any more of these stories here. [/quote]
 Well, so much for my "Pokemon vs. Digimon on Louie Feud" post.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Brandon Brooks

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2004, 11:28:02 AM »
[quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'May 2 2004, 11:13 PM\'] 'Nuf said, save to thank you for your contestant application for MORON!:  The All New Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire. [/quote]
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:26 PM\']I'm just going to say one thing... if this piece of -- uh, something -- can be posted, then there is nothing to bar me from posting an all-new edition of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire. And I think J.W. and I can agree that this is prime contestant material. [/quote]
I'm sorry, but that's rather harsh.  He's not a moron for posting this.  It may not be... well, I don't know what it is to be frank.  But don't beat him up because he made a post you don't like.

Brandon Brooks
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 11:31:08 AM by Brandon Brooks »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2004, 11:36:47 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:43 AM\'] But DON'T stop writing on our behalf. Keep working on it and it'll do you some good in the future...

I for one ain't gonna step on the kid cause he's a die hard GS fan. I'm just gonna tell him to get out there and find better things to write about! :) [/quote]
 You said it far more diplomatically than I.

(This should surprise nobody, as I've never been accused of being a diplomat. ;))
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

dzinkin

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2004, 12:52:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'May 3 2004, 11:28 AM\'] [quote name=\'DrJWJustice\' date=\'May 2 2004, 11:13 PM\'] 'Nuf said, save to thank you for your contestant application for MORON!:  The All New Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire. [/quote]
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 2 2004, 10:26 PM\']I'm just going to say one thing... if this piece of -- uh, something -- can be posted, then there is nothing to bar me from posting an all-new edition of Who Wants to Be a Moronionaire. And I think J.W. and I can agree that this is prime contestant material. [/quote]
I'm sorry, but that's rather harsh.  He's not a moron for posting this.  It may not be... well, I don't know what it is to be frank.  But don't beat him up because he made a post you don't like.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 As for whether a Family Feud obsession of this magnitude should be contestant material, that's a matter of opinion.  The point I was trying to get across was that if adamjk's fan fiction is allowed, so should my fan fiction (which at least has an actual plot).

But Matt O. pointed out the difference, so it's moot anyway.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2004, 02:42:42 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 3 2004, 05:48 AM\'] Not on this board you won't.

[/quote]
 Thanks for killing my dream of making up fictional games of Quicksilver, Chris.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

DrJWJustice

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2004, 03:35:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Brandon Brooks\' date=\'May 3 2004, 10:28 AM\'] I'm sorry, but that's rather harsh.  He's not a moron for posting this.  It may not be... well, I don't know what it is to be frank.  But don't beat him up because he made a post you don't like.

Brandon Brooks [/quote]
 I think that's all a matter of semantics.  I, too, agree with Matt O. on the difference, but I don't think what Zinc and I wrote was the least bit harsh.  To the contrary, Brandon, we were both very diplomatic.  "Harsh" hasn't happened yet, and let's hope it doesn't become necesssary.

GS Warehouse

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2004, 03:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:42 PM\'] Thanks for killing my dream of making up fictional games of Quicksilver, Chris. [/quote]
We've been trying to think Quicksilver was fictional all along, Don. :-)

This is another new rule I shouldn't have worry about violating.  When it comes to writing, I'm better at commentary, jokes, and source code.  If I could write fiction, I'd be working for Fox News Channel.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 03:55:44 PM by GS Warehouse »

tvwxman

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2004, 04:04:31 PM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:55 PM\']
This is another new rule I shouldn't have worry about violating.  When it comes to writing, I'm better at commentary, jokes, and source code.  If I could write fiction, I'd be working for Fox News Channel. [/quote]
 No more calls please, we have our winner for "Line of the day"!!! :)
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 04:20:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 04:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:55 PM\']
This is another new rule I shouldn't have worry about violating.  When it comes to writing, I'm better at commentary, jokes, and source code.  If I could write fiction, I'd be working for Fox News Channel. [/quote]
No more calls please, we have our winner for "Line of the day"!!! :) [/quote]
 Actually, one of my former students writes for Fox News Channel.  When I heard, I was so proud of him.  Next stop, a job in journalism!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.