Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR MDS problem  (Read 3233 times)

Mike Tennant

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2004, 10:24:33 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 3 2004, 03:33 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 01:01 PM\'] Lose the $1million spin at the wheel.... I think thats 3 miles past overboard...I still think a million dollars, on any show, should be damn hard to win... [/quote]
Agreed, which brings me to my next question, which I don't know the answer to:

How does CBS lose the MDS without losing face?[/quote]
Once someone wins the million, can the concept.  Then you've had your winner, so you don't look cheap (like you're trying to pull out before you have to give away the money); and at the same time, people won't feel cheated out of seeing a big win.  If need be, run out the season with MDS's; then start the next season without the million-dollar spin.

cmjb13

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2004, 11:13:52 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'May 4 2004, 10:24 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 3 2004, 03:33 PM\'][quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 3 2004, 01:01 PM\'] Lose the $1million spin at the wheel.... I think thats 3 miles past overboard...I still think a million dollars, on any show, should be damn hard to win... [/quote]
Agreed, which brings me to my next question, which I don't know the answer to:

How does CBS lose the MDS without losing face?[/quote]
Once someone wins the million, can the concept.  Then you've had your winner, so you don't look cheap (like you're trying to pull out before you have to give away the money); and at the same time, people won't feel cheated out of seeing a big win.  If need be, run out the season with MDS's; then start the next season without the million-dollar spin. [/quote]
 I hate to tell you this, but I've been told if somebody does win the million, it won't necessarily mean the end of $1M specials.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tommycharles

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 12:35:00 PM »
I don't see a think wrong with that necessarily. The idea of a MDS is not all that problematic.. maybe if they drop the *name* Million Dollar Spectacular if they were to do it weekly, it would help. But there's nothing wrong with still including the big money spin and promoting it as such.

I still think the random audience member bit needs to be done away with tho - if no one EARNS a chance to win $1 Million, then no one should get to spin for it. Plain and Simple.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2004, 02:16:46 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'May 4 2004, 09:35 AM\'] But there's nothing wrong with still including the big money spin and promoting it as such.

I still think the random audience member bit needs to be done away with tho - if no one EARNS a chance to win $1 Million, then no one should get to spin for it. Plain and Simple. [/quote]
 ...except for the fact that the odds of paying out go up with more people trying for it, which means the insurance premiums they have to pay against a payout also rise.

I don't feel like working out the math on it now, but you might have the answer in removing the "mandatory" spin. That might even out the odds enough to be able to do it weekly.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2004, 02:22:13 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 4 2004, 01:16 PM\'] ...except for the fact that the odds of paying out go up with more people trying for it, which means the insurance premiums they have to pay against a payout also rise.

I don't feel like working out the math on it now, but you might have the answer in removing the "mandatory" spin. That might even out the odds enough to be able to do it weekly. [/quote]
 To me there's nothing *less* exciting about "someone might spin for $1 Million tonight" than "someone will spin for $1 Million tonight" - you still would have to watch (almost) the whole thing to know either way, and I don't see people all of a sudden tuning out before the Showcases just because there isn't going to be a million dollar winner that evening.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2004, 03:04:03 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:15 PM\'] According to Steve Beverly, the Price special did a 5.1. [/quote]
Are the demos more attractive than the immobile, diabetic Medicare-receiving audience the daytime show gets?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 03:11:58 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2004, 03:08:23 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 4 2004, 03:04 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 3 2004, 02:15 PM\'] According to Steve Beverly, the Price special did a 5.1. [/quote]
Are the demos more attractive than the immobile, diabetic Medicare-receiving audience the daytime show gets? [/quote]
As a matter of fact, no.  I almost wouldn't think this is possible, but apparently CBS ranked FIRST in total viewers on Saturday but FOURTH in the 18-49 range.  That's a big, weird demographic bubble which probably means a regular spot for Bob & Co. isn't in the cards.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 03:12:29 PM by chris319 »
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2004, 03:15:40 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'May 4 2004, 02:22 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 4 2004, 01:16 PM\'] ...except for the fact that the odds of paying out go up with more people trying for it, which means the insurance premiums they have to pay against a payout also rise.

I don't feel like working out the math on it now, but you might have the answer in removing the "mandatory" spin. That might even out the odds enough to be able to do it weekly. [/quote]
To me there's nothing *less* exciting about "someone might spin for $1 Million tonight" than "someone will spin for $1 Million tonight" - you still would have to watch (almost) the whole thing to know either way, and I don't see people all of a sudden tuning out before the Showcases just because there isn't going to be a million dollar winner that evening. [/quote]
I don't see how this is even relevant to begin with; outside of us, I really doubt most viewers even know that the Showcase winner will get a spin until Bob announces it at the beginning of the Showcase.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 03:16:09 PM by Steve Gavazzi »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR MDS problem
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2004, 03:32:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' date=\'May 4 2004, 12:15 PM\'] I don't see how this is even relevant to begin with; outside of us, I really doubt most viewers even know that the Showcase winner will get a spin until Bob announces it at the beginning of the Showcase. [/quote]
 Because on the promos, Bob says straight into a camera "Someone WILL spin for ONE MEEELION DOLLARS!". So right now they are guaranteeing a spin. How doesn't really matter.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe