Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: AFTER They Were Stars  (Read 6240 times)

GS Warehouse

AFTER They Were Stars
« on: May 05, 2004, 10:35:27 AM »
I've been wanting to raise this topic for a while, but after Joe Butler appeared on Millionaire yesterday, the time is nigh.  What other celebrities have appeared as (civilian) contestants on game shows after their 15 minutes of fame?  A couple of examples:

- Butler: Lovin' Spoonful drummer
- Andrew Gold: 70s singer/songwriter; appeared on Feud in 1991
- Larry Toffler: Finders Keepers host; appeared on Debt and Greed

Any others?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 03:31:59 PM by GS Warehouse »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 10:39:00 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 5 2004, 09:35 AM\'] I've been wanting to raise this topic for a while, but after Joe Butler appeared on Millionaire yesterday, the time is nigh.  What other celebrities have appeared as (civilian) contestants on game shows after their 15 minutes of fame?  A couple of examples:

- Butler: Lovin' Spoonful drummer
- Larry Toffler: Finders Keepers host; appeared on Debt and Greed

Any others? [/quote]
 Walter Egan (top-10 single "Magnet & Steel" in 1978) appeared on SCRABBLE (first incarnation, don't recall the exact year).  He performed about five seconds or so of the song for Woolery, who then looked over at Charlie Tuna to ask, "Was that a hit?"  Tuna confirmed that it indeed was.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

zachhoran

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 10:44:05 AM »
[quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 5 2004, 09:35 AM\']
 [/quote]
 He and his wife also appeared on the short-lived relationship game show Bedroom Buddies in Summer 1992.

uncamark

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 10:53:48 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 5 2004, 09:44 AM\'][quote name=\'GS Warehouse\' date=\'May 5 2004, 09:35 AM\']
 [/quote]
He and his wife also appeared on the short-lived relationship game show Bedroom Buddies in Summer 1992.[/quote]
And not game show, but every time Lifetime reruns "Golden Girls," Gold collects royalties for "Thank You for Being a Friend," making Cynthia Fee his all-time favorite singer.

sshuffield70

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 10:54:44 AM »
Remember when Regis had a husband/wife duo on "Millionaire"?  I was thinking that the husband was a guitarist for a hard rock band.  I can't pull out which band it was.

GSWitch

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:55:10 AM »
I got three answers!

1).  Henry Beckman; played a security guard on Don Adams sitcom, Check It Out, appeared on Scrabble (80's).

2).  Lonnie Burr; Mickey Mouse Club mouseketeer appeared on WordPlay.  He won over $1,000.  On the second show, the celebrities wore mouse ears in his honor.  When he was defeated by the female contestant, the celebrities sang the closing theme of Mickey Mouse Club!

3).  Emile Sitka; Three Stooges supporting player who was the only supporting star to work with ALL the Stooges (Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Joe & Curly Joe; Half-Wits Holiday was his first short as well as Curly's last) appeared on Let's Make A Deal (1984-86).  He dressed as Uncle Sam & Monty made a quick deal of $500 or the curtain.  Emile took the $500 & avoid being zonked!  If he had been zonked, he might've poked Monty in the eyes (LOL)!

Matt Ottinger

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 11:01:13 AM »
The Dahm Triplets, former Playboy centerfolds who have done some other modeling and acting (including appearing on the series Battledome) played as regular contestants on Family Feud not too long ago.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 12:05:27 PM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 5 2004, 07:54 AM\'] Remember when Regis had a husband/wife duo on "Millionaire"?  I was thinking that the husband was a guitarist for a hard rock band.  I can't pull out which band it was. [/quote]
 I was just mentioning this on another thread here. It was Mike Patton from Faith No More. (Also from Mr. Bungle, but his 15 minutes ran when FNM was big with "Epic".) Wasn't the guitarist, was the lead singer.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

bricon

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2004, 12:11:51 PM »
2). Lonnie Burr; Mickey Mouse Club mouseketeer appeared on WordPlay. He won over $1,000. On the second show, the celebrities wore mouse ears in his honor. When he was defeated by the female contestant, the celebrities sang the closing theme of Mickey Mouse Club!

Lonnie Burr was also a contestant and at least a one-day winner on The Big Showdown.

tvrandywest

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2004, 02:09:43 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 5 2004, 06:39 AM\'] Walter Egan (top-10 single "Magnet & Steel" in 1978) appeared on SCRABBLE (first incarnation, don't recall the exact year).  He performed about five seconds or so of the song for Woolery, who then looked over at Charlie Tuna to ask, "Was that a hit?"  Tuna confirmed that it indeed was. [/quote]
 Cool. Never knew that, Doug. Yes, "Magnet and Steel" was a huge hit. I can close my eyes and still see that vinyl on the Columbia label spinning at 45rpm.

After his Scrabble experience Walter enrolled in a broadcast school ("The Lab" -Los Angeles Broadcasters) where I taught in the late 1980s. Walter was very cool - a nice guy -  and he did some pretty good radio DJ work. I don't know if he pursued the interest.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

MikeK

• Martha!
AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2004, 02:43:40 PM »
Leonard Stone, who played Violet Beauregarde's father in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, was on Wheel of Fortune in 2000.

J.R.

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2004, 04:17:32 PM »
What has Mike Rilley done since 1990 ? Hmm...

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 04:53:33 PM »
>> And not game show, but every time Lifetime reruns "Golden Girls," Gold collects royalties for "Thank You for Being a Friend," making Cynthia Fee his all-time favorite singer.

Add to that, the tons of money he's making off VH1 Classic. They seem to play his two well-known songs FREQUENTLY.

ObGameshows: That "Grab That Dough" episode of "Golden Girls" has to be my favorite episode.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

byrd62

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »
And whatever happened to Bill Mazer, who in 1966, hosted a Merv Griffin-produced game show on NBC called Reach for the Stars?

He ended up being a pioneer host of WFAN, the nation's first all-sports radio station, in New York City, during the early 1980's.  He then went to another New York City station, WEVD before that station was sold to ABC [which then converted it to an ESPN Radio format].

Bill currently hosts a 3-6 pm show weekdays on WVOX radio in New Rochelle, NY.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 04:59:41 PM by byrd62 »

davemackey

AFTER They Were Stars
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 05:03:20 PM »
Brian is correct about Lonnie Burr being on "The Big Showdown". He won the $5,000 jackpot for getting "Show" and "Down" to come up during the timed portion of the bonus round.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 05:05:20 PM by davemackey »