Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: If you have not seen "Outrageous Game Shows"...  (Read 4638 times)

catkins522

If you have not seen "Outrageous Game Shows"...
« on: May 06, 2004, 12:33:13 AM »
NBC is repeating "Outrageous Game Show Moments" this Saturday, 5-8, next Friday, 5-14, and Tuesday, 5-18.  I think they will show II, III, IV, V.  So, if you have not seen it, or missed it, now is your chance.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 07:39:40 AM »
Looks like one has already been preempted, but anyway: does anyone find it off that NBC would commit so much valuable sweeps time to seriously overplayed reruns like these? It's like they're handing the crown over to CBS gleefully.
@lambertman

rugrats1

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 07:55:37 AM »
Maybe NBC spent too much money on that 10.5 mini-series and promoing the final Friends.

uncamark

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 11:55:38 AM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' date=\'May 6 2004, 06:39 AM\']Looks like one has already been preempted, but anyway: does anyone find it off that NBC would commit so much valuable sweeps time to seriously overplayed reruns like these? It's like they're handing the crown over to CBS gleefully.[/quote]
Of course, Saturday night doesn't really count anymore, anyway, and I assume that the repeat on the Tuesday is against "Idol" (and "Navy NCIS" on CBS for the old folks--and "Frasier" will be finished by then, so there's no need for a decent lead-in for that show).  Which only leaves the Friday night airing, to which Amber Tamblyn should be writing a poem of love to Doogie Zucker.  (She's a performance poet or "poetry slammer" off-camera, in case you didn't know.)

But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:38:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:55 AM\'] But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight. [/quote]
 I'm sorry, is something major happening on NBC tonight? :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 12:52:44 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 6 2004, 11:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:55 AM\'] But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight. [/quote]
I'm sorry, is something major happening on NBC tonight? :) [/quote]
 I think there's a new ER tonight.  Other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything.  :)

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

catkins522

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 01:52:46 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 6 2004, 11:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:55 AM\'] But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight. [/quote]
 NBC....repeat...ABC...a brand new Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  They are trashing a condo and put it back together.

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

Don Howard

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 03:27:45 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 6 2004, 11:52 AM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 6 2004, 11:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:55 AM\'] But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight. [/quote]
I think there's a new ER tonight.  Other than that, I haven't seen or heard anything.  :)

Doug [/quote]
 I believe the peacock is going to do a striptease. Oh, no. That was squelched in the wake of the Janet Jackson revelation. May isn't a big ratings month anyway.

sshuffield70

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 03:43:09 PM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' date=\'May 6 2004, 12:52 PM\'] [quote name=\'clemon79\' date=\'May 6 2004, 11:38 AM\'] [quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 6 2004, 08:55 AM\'] But they'll make up for it tonight--boy, will they make up for it tonight. [/quote]
NBC....repeat...ABC...a brand new Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.  They are trashing a condo and put it back together.

Charles [/quote]
 Yep, have to watch that one.

(sorry, is okay to come out of the closet and say I really like EMHE?)

tvrandywest

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 03:46:01 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we already seen these episodes re-purposed on VH-1? There are very few precedents for shows bouncing back up to network air after cable play. Does this mean that these shows are THAT popular?

If so, doesn't that make some sort of argument for the potential popularity of newly produced traditional game shows? Yet the phrase "traditional game show" will get you thrown out of a pitch meeting anywhere, including GSN.

As we speak I'm working on a revival of one of our favorite traditional game shows. It has been purposely tweaked to be highly UN-traditional, in order to make it acceptable for the 21st century. Yet clips from the original traditional version of the same show are being rerun into the ground.

Maybe it's all about demographics: supposedly nobody under 50 will sit still for an old fashioned game (then explain "Millionaire's" success). If so, who is watching these specials with clips from shows you'd have to be almost 50 to remember? I haven't seen one spot with a person in a power wheelchair sucking on their nebulizer when these clip shows air on NBC or VH-1.

Confused in Canoga Park,

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 04:05:34 PM »
I think there is a problem with attention span and to remedy this, I would propose an hour of "Fun & Games" with just the bonus rounds of various shows.  You could have "Password" Alphabetics, followed by the Winners Circle then "Fast Money," from FF, etc.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 04:13:18 PM »
If so, doesn't that make some sort of argument for the potential popularity of newly produced traditional game shows? Yet the phrase "traditional game show" will get you thrown out of a pitch meeting anywhere, including GSN.

I wonder what phrase they're using...  Plain old "reality"?  hehe!

As we speak I'm working on a revival of one of our favorite traditional game shows. It has been purposely tweaked to be highly UN-traditional, in order to make it acceptable for the 21st century. Yet clips from the original traditional version of the same show are being rerun into the ground.

Hmmm...without guessing the name, I'm taking it as another classic Goodson-Todman show.  Right?  :)
-Sanford

JayC

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 04:36:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 6 2004, 02:46 PM\'] Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't we already seen these episodes re-purposed on VH-1? [/quote]
 Yeah, they've all aired on VH1 a few times (the first one getting the most airtime)  

When are these repeats airing time wise?

adamjk

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 05:07:03 PM »

When you see they are tweaking it to be highly untraditional, do you mean that to be a good thing or a bad thing?

sshuffield70

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 07:38:18 PM »
WHAT THE _________??