Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Longest-running TV theme  (Read 4425 times)

beatlefreak84

Longest-running TV theme
« on: May 07, 2004, 02:14:37 PM »
Hello all,

I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and she was talking about doing a spoof of "The Price is Right" for our college's orientation in August; as a result, she wanted TPIR's theme song on file.  That got me thinking about a related question:

I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).  Of course, we can all blab about the '94 remix, but that was used on the syndie version and not the daytime, which has had the same-sounding theme since 1972.

Two questions to ask about the TPIR theme:

1.  Am I right in asserting that TPIR's theme is the longest continuously-running theme song in game show history without any remixes?

2.  If #1 is correct, then is TPIR's theme the longest-running TV theme without any remixes?

Weird questions, I know, but, then again, it's finals week!

Anthony
You have da Arm-ee and da Leg-ee!

Temptation Dollars:  the only accepted currency for Lots of Love™

Jimmy Owen

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 02:38:07 PM »
I was thinking maybe "Days of Our Lives," but I haven't seen it in ages.  Is MacDonald Carey still in the opening?  "60 Minutes," if you consider ticking a theme.  Bill Buckley's "Firing Line" was always the same as I recall and that debuted in the sixties. A good number of the PBS shows (kids and pub. affairs) never changed.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 02:47:24 PM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Steve McClellan

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 02:49:56 PM »
[quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 7 2004, 11:14 AM\']I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).[/quote]
No, it wouldn't. 1972-present is longer than 1984-present, or at least it was last time I checked.

1.  Am I right in asserting that TPIR's theme is the longest continuously-running theme song in game show history without any remixes?
Has any other game show run longer than 32 years? With that in mind, is it *possible* that any other theme could have run longer continuously?

Jimmy Owen

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 03:09:24 PM »
The opening vamp, as it were, has changed since 1972. Would "Stop Gap" be a contender for top five?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 03:17:18 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 7 2004, 11:14 AM\']I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).[/quote]
No, it wouldn't. 1972-present is longer than 1984-present, or at least it was last time I checked.
 [/quote]
 Hasn't J!'s theme been redone at least once since they restarted the franchise in 1984?  While the tune is still the same, the mix clearly isn't.

Doug -- soon to celebrate 500 posts
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Skynet74

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 03:32:24 PM »
Jeopardy has been remixed a few different times (It all began with the Bongos in 1992). Wheel has also gone through it's share of changes. Speaking of Wheel...... that 1974 original theme is still the best. Maybe we should talk about Themes that have changed but should of been left the hell alone to begin with. :-) They are smart at Price. They've done exactly that.

John
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:32:49 PM by Skynet74 »

Steve McClellan

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 03:40:49 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 7 2004, 12:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 7 2004, 11:14 AM\']I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).[/quote]
 [/quote]
Hasn't J!'s theme been redone at least once since they restarted the franchise in 1984?  While the tune is still the same, the mix clearly isn't.[/quote]
Yes, three times. Anthony implied that if J! *hadn't* been remixed, it'd be the record holder for longest, which is what I was saying was incorrect.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 03:41:22 PM by gameshowsteve »

adamjk

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 03:47:06 PM »
Actually Price's theme has been remixed once. In I believe 84 or 85, the theme which had been lower pitched before, was changed to the higher pitched version we hear today.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 02:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 7 2004, 12:17 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:49 PM\'] [quote name=\'beatlefreak84\' date=\'May 7 2004, 11:14 AM\']I think I'm pretty safe in saying that TPIR's theme is the longest-running in game show history without any type of remake, remix, etc. (otherwise, J! would take the cake).[/quote]
 [/quote]
Hasn't J!'s theme been redone at least once since they restarted the franchise in 1984?  While the tune is still the same, the mix clearly isn't.[/quote]
Yes, three times. Anthony implied that if J! *hadn't* been remixed, it'd be the record holder for longest, which is what I was saying was incorrect. [/quote]
 Sorry for the confusion.  It's funny, but I don't even remember if the original 1964-75 run of J! had opening and closing themes (I was but a youngster, and while images of Art Fleming thanking Don Pardo stand out in my mind, whatever music they had other than the Final J! think music and the "go to the board" cue doesn't).

Anyone wanna fill in the gaps?  :)

Doug -- and the countdown to 500 continues
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Don Howard

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 04:08:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 7 2004, 01:38 PM\'] I was thinking maybe "Days of Our Lives," but I haven't seen it in ages.  Is MacDonald Carey still in the opening? [/quote]
Mac's voice is still heard during the open, but the part where he identifies himself ("This is Macdonald Carey and these are the days of our lives") was removed when he died in 1994. The opening music was remixed in 1993 when they began showing a turning hourglass. The original music used during the opening lasted twenty-eight years (1965-93) while the closing theme was re-recorded in 1982 and used until they went to split-screen credits [the last daytime serial to do so] in 2001. The same day reruns on SoapNet (a niche audience-friendly channel as opposed to one which we discuss frequently on this board) show full credits but with some suspense music playing unrelated to the theme.
Looks like TPIR holds the record.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 08:59:55 PM by Don Howard »

uncamark

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »
[quote name=\'SRIV94\' date=\'May 7 2004, 02:56 PM\']It's funny, but I don't even remember if the original 1964-75 run of J! had opening and closing themes (I was but a youngster, and while images of Art Fleming thanking Don Pardo stand out in my mind, whatever music they had other than the Final J! think music and the "go to the board" cue doesn't).

Anyone wanna fill in the gaps?  :)[/quote]
1--The guitar riff that played under Don Pardo's opening ("now entering the studio are today's contestants..."), with the little flute figure as each player sat down.

2--Version one of the theme started up after "These people will compete for cash prizes today on... [supered logo art card zooms in, drum downbeat into part of theme people rememeber if they remember it at all] 'Jeopardy!'"

3--Board opening cue

4--Theme from beginning played as middle fee plug cue, ending with "we'll return to Art Fleming and the Double Jeopardy! portion of our game after this important message..."

5--Repeat board opening cue for DJ!

6--The FJ! think cue

7--Backtimed theme, usually fading in as Fleming's doing his signoff "...so join us again in the morning--have a good day!"  No matter if a long or short roll, it always ended on the fade.

And the Musicians' Union turntable operator usually cued up two audio Daily Doubles out of three from about 1968 on.

GSWitch

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 05:18:02 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 7 2004, 02:08 PM\'] The original music during the opening lasted twenty-eight years (1965-93) while the closing theme was re-recorded in 1982 and used until they went to split-screen credits [the last daytime serial to do so] in 2001. [/quote]
Also the last NBC show as well.

All network shows on NBC, UPN & WB have split screen credits while these are the sole survivors on the other networks.

ABC:  Saturday AM Live action shows only (Lizzie/Raven/Power Rangers)

CBS:  Sunday Morning, David Letterman, Craig Kilborn, Blues Clues

FOX:  American Idol (sometimes)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 11:00:54 PM by GSWitch »

Steve McClellan

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 07:30:46 PM »
By the way, in what year was the current (not '97) mix of the J! theme first used?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 07:31:07 PM by gameshowsteve »

zachhoran

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 07:42:08 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 06:30 PM\'] By the way, in what year was the current (not '97) mix of the J! theme first used? [/quote]
 It changed to the current mix sometime in the 2001-02 season IIRC.

BrandonFG

Longest-running TV theme
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 07:47:39 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 7 2004, 06:42 PM\'] [quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 7 2004, 06:30 PM\'] By the way, in what year was the current (not '97) mix of the J! theme first used? [/quote]
It changed to the current mix sometime in the 2001-02 season IIRC. [/quote]
 More like the 2000-01 season.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!