Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games to play in class  (Read 10740 times)

rugrats1

Games to play in class
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 09:40:24 PM »
You just have to be sure they understand the basic of Squares. Once my fifth-grade Hebrew school teacher had us play "Hollywood Squares" and I was insistent that the host wasn't supposed to say "right" or "wrong" until the "contestant" agreed or disagreed. He insisted that it was straight Q&A -- and I was sent to the principal's office for a long lecture on why it was wrong to question a rabbi's wisdom. :-)

Did it have a 'Mr. X" and "Miss Circle"? If so, since the "MC" was ruling the "stars" before the "contestants" had a chance to answer, it practically made the contestants useless.

dzinkin

Games to play in class
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 09:43:06 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 26 2004, 09:40 PM\']
You just have to be sure they understand the basic of Squares. Once my fifth-grade Hebrew school teacher had us play "Hollywood Squares" and I was insistent that the host wasn't supposed to say "right" or "wrong" until the "contestant" agreed or disagreed. He insisted that it was straight Q&A -- and I was sent to the principal's office for a long lecture on why it was wrong to question a rabbi's wisdom. :-)

Did it have a 'Mr. X" and "Miss Circle"? If so, since the "MC" was ruling the "stars" before the "contestants" had a chance to answer, it practically made the contestants useless. [/quote]
 Exactly.  Unfortunately I didn't have Rabbi Marshall, Rabbi Davidson, Rabbi Bergeron or even Rabbi Bauman to help argue my case. :-)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Games to play in class
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 09:44:47 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 26 2004, 08:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 26 2004, 09:40 PM\']

Did it have a 'Mr. X" and "Miss Circle"? If so, since the "MC" was ruling the "stars" before the "contestants" had a chance to answer, it practically made the contestants useless. [/quote]
Exactly.  Unfortunately I didn't have Rabbi Marshall, Rabbi Davidson, Rabbi Bergeron or even Rabbi Bauman to help argue my case. :-) [/quote]
 What about Rabbi Alf? ;)
--Mark
Phil 4:13

dzinkin

Games to play in class
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2004, 09:49:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 26 2004, 09:44 PM\'] [quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 26 2004, 08:43 PM\'] [quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 26 2004, 09:40 PM\']

Exactly.  Unfortunately I didn't have Rabbi Marshall, Rabbi Davidson, Rabbi Bergeron or even Rabbi Bauman to help argue my case. :-) [/quote]
What about Rabbi Alf? ;) [/quote]
 I don't think Alf could be a rabbi -- I thought cats weren't kosher. :-)

urbanpreppie05

Games to play in class
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2004, 10:31:52 PM »
I couldn't help but do some gratiutous self-promotion...(chris and john are probably sick to death of seeing this by now)

Survey Says at UA

Survey Says 2 at UA

It's the first prize-giving game show version of Family Feud at The University of akron in years...(the last time Feud was done, it was done when Ray Combs was popular)..The first time, I'll tell ya what- it didn't go very well. 75 people came, 9 teams.  The second time "part of old-school week" was, EXCELLENT. 175-200 people came, 12 teams, lots of fun.

And to think- I get paid to do this.
insert signature here

Steve McClellan

Games to play in class
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2004, 11:01:22 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 26 2004, 04:05 PM\']Twice last year, we played Password during World History to help us with vocabulary.  We'd have to take 3 words about a famous person, event, place, etc, and have our person guess what it is with those clues.[/quote]
In that case, you were really playing Stumpers! then, weren't you?

JayC

Games to play in class
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2004, 04:18:40 PM »
[quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 26 2004, 10:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 26 2004, 04:05 PM\']Twice last year, we played Password during World History to help us with vocabulary.  We'd have to take 3 words about a famous person, event, place, etc, and have our person guess what it is with those clues.[/quote]
In that case, you were really playing Stumpers! then, weren't you? [/quote]
 Care to tell me what Bumpers is?  I honestly don't know.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games to play in class
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2004, 04:48:20 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 27 2004, 01:18 PM\'] Care to tell me what Bumpers is?  I honestly don't know. [/quote]
 "Bumpers" is nothing.

"Stumpers" was a short-lived NBC offering that Allen Ludden hosted before he got Password Plus that involved teams of three trying to idenitify famous people, places, and things, by using clues to the other team selected from a given set. Think of it as "Password Minus" and you begin to get the idea.

It was a Lin Bolen creation. That in an of itself should speak volumes.

I'm pretty sure it did 13-weeks-and-out, and really the only notable thing about the show was that the set was pretty snazzy, particularly in its transition from front game to bonus round.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Steve McClellan

Games to play in class
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2004, 04:53:14 PM »
[quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 27 2004, 01:18 PM\'][quote name=\'gameshowsteve\' date=\'May 26 2004, 10:01 PM\'] [quote name=\'JayC\' date=\'May 26 2004, 04:05 PM\']Twice last year, we played Password during World History to help us with vocabulary.  We'd have to take 3 words about a famous person, event, place, etc, and have our person guess what it is with those clues.[/quote]
In that case, you were really playing Stumpers! then, weren't you? [/quote]
Care to tell me what Bumpers is?  I honestly don't know.[/quote]
Well, two teams of two players tried to decipher vanity license plates, and the winners went on to the bonus round where they tried to avoid the dreaded STOP sign.

Wait, you meant Stumpers!, didn't you? :)

Hosted by Allen Ludden, and aired the last 13 weeks of 1976, it featured two teams of three (2 civilians, 1 celeb), who were given a word and three one-word clues to it. They gave those clues to the other team (in what they feel is order of decreasing obsurity). The earlier the opponents solved the stumper, the more points they got.

The bonus round (which I thought of upon reading your post) had similar puzzles, but teammates gave the clues in order of increasing obscurity, in an effort to solve ten of them in sixty seconds for $10,000.

Not a bad format, but unless the contestants were a lot better during the rest of the run than in the episode I have, somewhat painful to watch.

The Ol' Guy

Games to play in class
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2004, 04:55:47 PM »
Ah, the post ahead came in as I wrote this, so I'll dump the rules and just elaborate a bit. Off the top of the head, if the subject was Ryan Seacrest, the three clue words words might be "American" "Idol" "host". ( I can't wait for some of the alternative clues bound to spring from this...) You decided which clue words you wanted to give the opposing team, as the sooner they guessed the subject, the more points they would score. If you decided to give them "host" as the first clue, they would rattle off possible answers, hoping to guess the subject. If they failed, you'd give them another clue word. You'd have to decide whether to give them "American" or "Idol" next. You just tried to keep them stumped as long as you could.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2004, 08:27:16 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Gus

Games to play in class
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2004, 07:23:07 PM »
This past year, we did a really simple review game in political science class called "Political Science Family Feud." It's not really FF, though: the class splits into two teams, and each member of the team goes to a desk in the middle of the room to "face off". The teacher reads a question, usually straight off the test, and the person who "buzzes in" (slaps the desk first) can answer. Two points if correct; if not, the other player has ten seconds with the help of his teammates to steal for one point. The team with the higher score at the end of the period gets +3 bonus on the test.

A game we've done in math analysis is "Wheel" of Fortune: the class splits up into our assigned small groups (seven of them, usually), who play as teams. We go around the room in a somewhat clockwise manner; the first team draws a point value out of a bag. A problem is read; if the team gets it right, they get to call a letter in the puzzle; if not, the problem goes to the next team; same thing for them. (I think we once had a problem go around the entire class twice.) After a question is answered right, and a letter guessed, then next team gets to draw, and the process continues. Points are multiplied for multiple letters, and a bonus is given for a puzzle solve. The team with the highest score at the end of the period gets +3 bonus on the test.

dougal18

Games to play in class
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2004, 06:57:49 AM »
I remember playing at school Win Lose Or Draw.  It was the end of term and our Home Ec teacher had nothing for us to do so someone had the bright idea of playing this. The game lasted 2 rounds before we quit because nobody got the answers.  (Robin Hood was one)