Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud Combs  (Read 5289 times)

zachhoran

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 10:02:37 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:58 PM\']
And the chyronned board was cheesy. Looking at 100 Mexicanos Dijeron now, and Family Fortunes in the UK, would it have been that bad for the electrical board to be "outed"?

I somehow doubt this is true, but to my understanding, the chyronned board was shown to the TV audiences only. Is there any truth to that? [/quote]
 We saw the Chyron board(which looks similar to what is used on the current incarnation of the show), but the people in the studio saw the FM like Ferrante Packer board used to display the answers(occasionally you'd see it on air during wide shots of the set). That same board was used during the 1993-94 season's road trip to Nashville.

adamjk

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »
Why couldn't they show the Ferrante Packer board on air? I don't understand that. It would have saved the tech people a lot of trouble.

tyshaun1

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2004, 11:14:22 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 09:07 PM\'] Why couldn't they show the Ferrante Packer board on air? I don't understand that. It would have saved the tech people a lot of trouble. [/quote]
 Ummmmm.........probably because THEY DIDN'T WANT TO.
(plus it'd have looked cheap)

Tyshaun

BrandonFG

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2004, 11:32:45 PM »
[quote name=\'familyfeudfan\' date=\'May 9 2004, 01:29 AM\'] [quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 9 2004, 12:12 AM\'] [quote name=\'Particleman\' date=\'May 8 2004, 05:23 PM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 8 2004, 04:44 AM\'] I consider the whole 94-95 season a cameo appearance. [/quote]
Still, I'd love to see a 94-95 episode.  I've never seen one. [/quote]
You'd take one look at Richard and weep. [/quote]
I liked it. [/quote]
 It was OK...even though the four-member teams seemed awkward. The set wasn't too bad, except for the Ferranti board being used the whole time, but I loved how the strobe light flashed for the winning family. Also, I would've loved for Fremantle to have used the Feud 94 theme on the current version.

As for Richard, he seemed mellowed out, although he really let himself go, gaining lots of weight.
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

Brandon Brooks

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2004, 11:47:48 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:58 PM\'] I somehow doubt this is true, but to my understanding, the chyronned board was shown to the TV audiences only. Is there any truth to that? [/quote]
 Really... think about this question.  Do you even know what a "chyron" is?  If you do, tell me how it is possible for a chyron to be shown to the contestants on an electronic tote board.

Brandon Brooks

rugrats1

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2004, 11:57:31 PM »
Do you even know what a "chyron" is?

Maybe you probaby meant "chromakey" -- hard to explain, but it's set up where a certain color is electronically replaced with another picture.

A "chyron" is an electronic character generator -- in game show circles, "Jeopardy" is one of many game shows to use a chyron machine.

I think what Feud 94 used was a combination of chromakey (for projection) and computer graphics (for the board).

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Family Feud Combs
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 02:22:42 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:57 PM\'] I think what Feud 94 used was a combination of chromakey (for projection) and computer graphics (for the board). [/quote]
 Nope. That wasn't keyed. You'd need a single color upon which to shoot that could be keyed out and replaced with the board. And it would look like hell.

That was a pure, simple digital video effect. Device cuts out a hole in the picture the size of the gameboard, and inserts the output of the Chyron (or whatever their graphics generator was for that show) into the hole.

A Chyron is advanced enough, BTW, that it's entirely possible that the FF gameboard could run off of one.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tommycharles

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 02:26:22 AM »
Does that explain the fake-board cutting off Dawsons head in a couple shots? Too big a hole?

clemon79

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 03:15:15 AM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'May 10 2004, 11:26 PM\'] Does that explain the fake-board cutting off Dawsons head in a couple shots? Too big a hole? [/quote]
 Even easier: you can't cut the hole for the board without cutting out Dawson, right? It's not like you have "layers" to work with...you have two images...Dawson on the set, and the gameboard. So any shot where they try to superimpose the gameboard is going to cut off anything that gets in the way of the gameboard.

"So how do they do that trick on baseball games where they superimpose ad signs on the backstop and it looks like players can walk in front of them, Chris?"

To which I say: it's MAGIC. ;)

sshuffield70

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 10:20:57 AM »
Hey, let's just say technology has advanced in the last 10 years.

urbanpreppie05

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2004, 10:45:30 AM »
Call me crazy, but I find the "Feud 94" season to be my favorite. Sure Richard was older and fatter, but he still had a good grasp of humor (Even if he did whisper and mumble too much) and the set and music were amazing. (If a little too overly-jazzed-up), personally I felt the show needed an update after almost 18 years of the same old-fashioned set and music and the reduction of "Bullseye"-ish round "Bankroll" added in more game time.

The Feud 94 season seemed as if it was trying to recapture some of magic from the earlier years. Richard did ok...but his monoluges were long and long-winded. The cheaper payouts were hilariously bad- I have a win of a family winning $2,500- and in the eps. I've seen, most familed only got to 9,000 or so in bankroll 2. The set has some nice traits- I think the color scheme was chosen very well, the flashbulbs at a win were nice- but with the abundance of glass block,it seemed very cold and kinda barren.
And let's not talk about those openings.
insert signature here

clemon79

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2004, 11:50:57 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 11 2004, 07:20 AM\'] Hey, let's just say technology has advanced in the last 10 years. [/quote]
 Well, in all honesty it's a completely different technology, and you couldn't apply it to Feud 'cuz you still need a solid surface to put the image on, and they were doing a cut & cover on a digital gameboard.

I think the current version gets around it nicely with the projection TV, although it does leave me nostalgic for the analog board...

J.R.

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2004, 12:35:54 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:45 AM\']
The Feud 94 season seemed as if it was trying to recapture some of magic from the earlier years. Richard did ok...but his monoluges were long and long-winded. The cheaper payouts were hilariously bad- I have a win of a family winning $2,500- and in the eps. I've seen, most familed only got to 9,000 or so in bankroll 2. The set has some nice traits- I think the color scheme was chosen very well, the flashbulbs at a win were nice- but with the abundance of glass block,it seemed very cold and kinda barren.
And let's not talk about those openings. [/quote]
It was sort of a nice touch, also, reinvite families that were on the original Dawson "Feud" to come play again. It helped Richard to relax into his role.

One of my favorties is when they brought back the Trejos. Appearently in 1994, "September" still put Richard into hysterics (They showed a clip too, reminding the audience how slimmer Richard looked back then) and to add-on to the irony, the gal who said that was expecting a baby... in September !

For those who do not know, the families were introed with their faces stuck-on to a "humorus" cartoon showing them doing something "silly" then a "Camera" sound effect introed the players in the flesh. Yeah, really lame.

I though the square-glass "Feud" sign flying to the screen in a Fighter Jet "WOOOOSH" sound was cool.
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 12:36:24 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

Particleman

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2004, 01:59:52 PM »
Y'all have me really wanting to see a 94 or 95 episode now.  I must turn now and run.

tcombs1695

Family Feud Combs
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2004, 06:29:18 PM »
First of all Richard never made an appearance on any of Raymond's tapings although his son worked on Raymon's years on the Feud. And also before Richards return they worked hard on him losing weight and getting in shape and maybe a little bit moretrying to get him to maybe quite drinking as much but I won't say any more than that because I wasn't in his home and I like his son and I even like Richard I don't hold Richard responsible for Raymond's passing. That would be Jonathon Goodson.  Oh well vented enough I am not in a very good mood I shouldn't be in here right now. I am saddened to hear about Tony Randall. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
~Toni Combs