Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "What The Blank"  (Read 9663 times)

tvrandywest

"What The Blank"
« on: May 09, 2004, 12:15:06 AM »
Well, I received the Freemantle/MG Productions/FOX Confidentiality Agreement, but forgot to sign it   ;-)

I defer to Mandel if he thinks posting any details is appropriate. But as I've received several e-mails asking about the pilot, and there are 300+ audience members who saw the whole thing already, I'll just give a broadbrush sketch of my opinions:

This revival of Match Game is certainly the best (imho) since dear Gene Rayburn put down that Sony telescoping mic. Some will think the Ross Schaefer version was purer. As a game, it was. But I think this one, overall, has greater entertainment value.

The highlights: Host Fred Willard is a brilliant ad-libber, and is damn good at the "traffic cop" aspect of hosting... certainly as a new role for him. The rules of the game remain true to the Rayburn era, including the format of the "Super Match" end game. The added comedic elements make the show more fun, but I don't think they slow it down or burden the format.

And that announcer was AWESOME   ;-p

That's my two cents. The rest of the questions should be addressed to Mandel.

Hopefully, we'll see the pilot air on FOX soon, and hopefully everybody on this board will be a Nielsen family!!

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:19:03 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
"What The Blank"
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 12:29:16 AM »
I can't wait to actually see this on the air if all goes right for What the Blank.  But just picture it.  A Match Game getting it's REVIVAL IN PRIME TIME since the NBC's 60's version.  (hehe...I love bring history up.)

By the way, Randy, was the pilot taped at the historic CBS Television City (perhaps the Barker Studio)?  Or...emm...elsewhere? lol
-Sanford

tvrandywest

"What The Blank"
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 12:51:48 AM »
[quote name=\'pianogeek\' date=\'May 8 2004, 08:29 PM\'] By the way, Randy, was the pilot taped at the historic CBS Television City (perhaps the Barker Studio)?  Or...emm...elsewhere? lol [/quote]
No big secret there.

Surprisingly for a game show it taped on stage 12 at THE premiere LA facility for sitcoms, the CBS Radford lot. It's a wonderfully historic piece of property that is responsible for the burb having the name "Studio City" in the first place. It goes back to the Mack Sennett silent comedy era, and was home to the Republic westerns and serials (Gene Autry, Zorro, etc).

The magic era at Radford was the 60s and 70s... a ton of TV faves including Gunsmoke, My Three Sons, Gilligan's Island [the little lagoon was only recently paved over  ;-(   ]. Later, all the MTM comedies: Mary Tyler Moore, Newhart, Phyllis, Rhoda, WKRP (including the more recent revival), etc.. I remember Burt Reynold's Evening Shade there, too. In the past couple of decades some of the stages have been converted for video, and it's been comics' favorite lot for their sitcoms: Seinfeld, Roseanne, Tom Arnold, Will and Grace, etc. Joining Will and Grace now are that Good Morning Miami thing, That 70s Show, The CBS Big Brother house, and a bevy of newer shows.

The coolest thing about Radford is that the backlot elements (the homes, building facades, park areas, that New York street on Seinfeld, etc.) are intersperced and mixed among the stages. A hop, skip and jump from "What The Blank" was the My Three Sons house. You drive on at Radford and you feel like you're deep in showbiz tradition. As TVCity is to games, Radford is to sitcoms.  

You get the feeling I still have a lotta passion for the biz?    ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 12:52:47 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Craig Karlberg

"What The Blank"
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 04:34:11 AM »
Well, after seeing what Randy posted should ease my mind from an earlier post I made regarding "What The Blank".  Perhaps I'll give this one a chance if FOX does air it.

Timsterino

"What The Blank"
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 05:39:53 AM »
Sound like a great version, Randy. I am sure the announcer is awesome. ;-) I hope it makes it to FOX. On Camera Audience has what looks like the show's logo on their ticket page here:

http://www.ocatv.com/schedule.php?show_id=23

Tim :-)

tyshaun1

"What The Blank"
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 10:53:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'May 9 2004, 04:39 AM\'] Sound like a great version, Randy. I am sure the announcer is awesome. ;-) I hope it makes it to FOX. On Camera Audience has what looks like the show's logo on their ticket page here:

http://www.ocatv.com/schedule.php?show_id=23

Tim :-) [/quote]
 I get the feeling Fremantle has developed a exclamation point fetish for their revivals...........
(Whammy!, What The Blank!)

Tyshaun!

Jimmy Owen

"What The Blank"
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 11:10:45 AM »
Sounds like it will be more traditional than edgy.  If it were edgy, wouldn't it be called "What the...FOX?"
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

KrisW73

"What The Blank"
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 11:45:40 AM »
I have high hopes judging by what Randy said- maybe Fremantle did this one correctly.

MikeK

• Martha!
"What The Blank"
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
If WTB! is picked up by FOX, would it be a summer series (or a new series for the fall lineup, since FOX is starting their new lineup in June) or a 2004-05 mid-season replacement?

ChuckNet

"What The Blank"
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »
The highlights: Host Fred Willard is a brilliant ad-libber, and is damn good at the "traffic cop" aspect of hosting... certainly as a new role for him.

Incidentally, Willard also appeared as a panelist on MG '98...but I digress. Really sounds like Freemantle's finally figured out how to do the format right, and I hope they manage to get it on-air.

Chuck Donegan (The Optimistic "Chuckie Baby")

adamjk

"What The Blank"
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 01:46:28 PM »
Out of curiosity Randy, who were the celeb panelists on the pilot?

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
"What The Blank"
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 01:51:19 PM »
[quote name=\'adamjk\' date=\'May 9 2004, 12:46 PM\'] Out of curiosity Randy, who were the celeb panelists on the pilot? [/quote]
 Curiosity killed the cat.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Gus

"What The Blank"
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 03:13:15 PM »
I get the feeling Fremantle has developed a exclamation point fetish for their revivals........... (Whammy!, What The Blank!)

Though I think it would be more logical in this case to use a question mark, i.e. "What the Blank?". Although they could go the "?!' route, i.e. "What the Blank?!"... what do you call that combination of the two?

Sounds like it will be more traditional than edgy.

Indeed. Honestly, I think if Fox wanted to go edgy, they probably wouldn't have gotten a 64-year-old to host, no matter how good a host he would have been. I think Fox/Frementle/whoever was in charge made a good choice. This should turn out to be good, hopefuly.

I was thinking to myself, "Why are they trying Match Game again? I mean they just tried it... uh, nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fo... it's been six years already?! Was I really only elev... I guess so. Time flies, I guess."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 03:20:16 PM by Gus »

Kevin Prather

"What The Blank"
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2004, 03:56:52 PM »
I am totally looking forward to this. This could be the best thing Fremantle has done in a long, long time.

WhammyPower

"What The Blank"
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2004, 05:16:02 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' date=\'May 9 2004, 01:56 PM\'] This could be the best thing Fremantle has done in a long, long time. [/quote]
 As in forever?