Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "What The Blank"  (Read 9017 times)

Kevin Prather

"What The Blank"
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2004, 05:18:52 PM »
Something like that, yes. :P

tvwxman

"What The Blank"
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2004, 06:41:56 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 8 2004, 11:15 PM\']
This revival of Match Game is certainly the best (imho) since dear Gene Rayburn put down that Sony telescoping mic. Some will think the Ross Schaefer version was purer. As a game, it was. But I think this one, overall, has greater entertainment value.

The highlights: Host Fred Willard is a brilliant ad-libber, and is damn good at the "traffic cop" aspect of hosting... certainly as a new role for him. The rules of the game remain true to the Rayburn era, including the format of the "Super Match" end game. The added comedic elements make the show more fun, but I don't think they slow it down or burden the format.
 [/quote]
 I think I know the answer to this one, but I'm gonna put this up to the panel for debate anyways....

If it walks like a "Match Game" duck, and talks like a "Match Game" duck, why not call it "Match Game"?

I know producers are big on putting their own stamp on a show to make it hipper (Big Deal, Whammy), but from Randy's description, it sure sounds like they're courting the fans of the original, keeping formats similar and such.... so since Fre-Mangle owns the name, why not use it to their advantage?

"What the _______" ?

Matt
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

JMFabiano

"What The Blank"
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 06:57:22 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 9 2004, 05:41 PM\'] [quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 8 2004, 11:15 PM\']
This revival of Match Game is certainly the best (imho) since dear Gene Rayburn put down that Sony telescoping mic. Some will think the Ross Schaefer version was purer. As a game, it was. But I think this one, overall, has greater entertainment value.

The highlights: Host Fred Willard is a brilliant ad-libber, and is damn good at the "traffic cop" aspect of hosting... certainly as a new role for him. The rules of the game remain true to the Rayburn era, including the format of the "Super Match" end game. The added comedic elements make the show more fun, but I don't think they slow it down or burden the format.
 [/quote]
I think I know the answer to this one, but I'm gonna put this up to the panel for debate anyways....

If it walks like a "Match Game" duck, and talks like a "Match Game" duck, why not call it "Match Game"?

I know producers are big on putting their own stamp on a show to make it hipper (Big Deal, Whammy), but from Randy's description, it sure sounds like they're courting the fans of the original, keeping formats similar and such.... so since Fre-Mangle owns the name, why not use it to their advantage?

"What the _______" ?

Matt [/quote]
 One idea....maybe they want to distance it from That Other Revival from 6 years ago?  I mean, even they'd know it was a failure...right...?  

At any rate when it makes air, I'll believe the good remarks when I see them.  I can remember many of the shows we were disappointed with in the long run getting positive feedback from people who attended the pilots (I recall thumbs up in ATGS for MG98 and Louie's Feud, among others.  CS2001 and the "Pyramid Player" $25K Pyramid were shown no mercy, OTOH)
I'm a pacifist, and even I would like to see a little more action.

The Ol' Guy

"What The Blank"
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 06:58:49 PM »
A guess - like a lot of our favorite game show formats - they're considered OLD. Between not saying "game", "match game", and the like, they may draw some younger viewers curious about the title who may stay on if it's funny enough, instead of them seeing the original title and going, "Oh, that's my grandmother's game show.." Hate to see that happen, but we might see several remakes in the future undergo name changes to prevent instant association with the elders. Like I say, a guess, but it won't surprise me. Some titles are gold - others may have to adapt..like someone suggested earlier - "Extreme Password".
Mad Def Matchin' Game??? Oy!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:06:32 PM by The Ol' Guy »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"What The Blank"
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 07:00:17 PM »
Hopefully, we'll see the pilot air on FOX soon, and hopefully everybody on this board will be a Nielsen family!!
I'll give R.M. a call and see what I can do ;-)

Say Randy (or anyone from Fremantle): who's the producer(s)?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 07:01:49 PM by chris319 »

TimK2003

"What The Blank"
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 07:10:20 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 9 2004, 05:41 PM\'] If it walks like a "Match Game" duck, and talks like a "Match Game" duck, why not call it "Match Game"?

[/quote]
 If WtB is very similar to the MG formats of the Rayburn &/or the Shaffer era, and they didn't wish to use the MG title again, why didn't they just use the UK's version/title of "Blankety Blanks"?  

Or does Bob Stewart still own the rights to that "Blankety Blank" title in the US?

uncamark

"What The Blank"
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 08:13:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' date=\'May 9 2004, 06:10 PM\']Or does Bob Stewart still own the rights to that "Blankety Blank" title in the US?[/quote]
Stewart sold everything to Sony and went into retirement, including titles.

And the title was "Blankety Blank*s*."

FeudDude

"What The Blank"
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 09:56:24 PM »
Now that I've heard a little more about WTB, I have a really good feeling about it.  Fred Willard should make a good host, and I'm glad that it's not going to be a big departure from the classic format.  Plus, if you think about it, couldn't you call MG7x an update of the original '60s MG with added comedy elements?  This seems like it will just be the next logical step in the evolution of the show.

Also, while some of you may be groaning about it being on FOX, I think it's better off there than in syndication (or worse yet, GSN).  I had always thought that the next MG revival should be on primetime network television, and while I would've preferred if it had been on one of the Big Three, it being on FOX still pretty much assures that it won't be really low-budget like MG98, and there won't be any worries about stations putting the show on in the wee hours.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
"What The Blank"
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2004, 10:14:03 PM »
Judy Tenuta IS available.

Skynet74

"What The Blank"
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2004, 10:18:15 PM »
Two things scare me about this revival.

#1. It's on Fox
 #2. It's on in Prime Time (which probably means only once a week) Right?

Judging by Randy's description it sounds like an awsome remake. So my problem isn't with Fremantle on this one. I'm uneasy about the whole Network prime time thing. It hasn't proven to have been all that successful of a time slot for game shows in the past. Just think of........

Twenty-One
Weakest Link
Winning Lines
Big Deal
Who Wants To Be A Millionare.
The Chair

Did any of them last longer than a year? Put this sucker on a syndicated schedule 5 days a week and my concerns will melt away. As it stands though I am very worried.

John
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 10:20:20 PM by Skynet74 »

adamjk

"What The Blank"
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2004, 10:21:46 PM »
True, but at least it will get a good timeslot everywhere. And BTW, WWTBAM, lasted quite a while, till they started airing it all the time.

dzinkin

"What The Blank"
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2004, 10:31:58 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 9 2004, 10:18 PM\'] Did any of them last longer than a year? Put this sucker on a syndicated schedule 5 days a week and my concerns will melt away. As it stands though I am very worried. [/quote]
 Fremantle's syndie game show remakes haven't done well recently either -- look at Match Game, To Tell The Truth, and that pile of dog turds Fremantle tried to pass off as Card Sharks.  The only one that's really succeeded is Family Feud.  It wouldn't surprise me if local stations were to pass on a syndicated "What the Blank?" immediately based on that one-out-of-four record.

At least if Fox is interested, getting a consistent time slot won't be nearly as much of a hassle.  Unfortunately I'm no longer a Fox shareholder so I don't have a voice there any longer. :-)

Skynet74

"What The Blank"
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2004, 10:43:21 PM »
It would be great if Networks still had that two hour block in the morning from 10 to Noon Eastern or 9 to 11 for you folks out West. I would love to see this new revival paired up with some other games. I would recommend for Fox stations to reintroduce the morning block....... but there is probably a better chance of California sinking in the Ocean from an earthquake tonight then that happening.

John

FeudDude

"What The Blank"
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2004, 10:57:55 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:31 PM\'] Fremantle's syndie game show remakes haven't done well recently either -- look at Match Game, To Tell The Truth, and that pile of dog turds Fremantle tried to pass off as Card Sharks.  The only one that's really succeeded is Family Feud.  It wouldn't surprise me if local stations were to pass on a syndicated "What the Blank?" immediately based on that one-out-of-four record. [/quote]
Well, who knows...maybe if this show is a big enough ratings hit, the show will go into daily syndication just like Millionaire and Weakest Link did.

At least if Fox is interested, getting a consistent time slot won't be nearly as much of a hassle.  Unfortunately I'm no longer a Fox shareholder so I don't have a voice there any longer. :-)

Actually, FOX does have a tendency to move shows around the schedule to the point where you won't even know when it's on - many argue that this tendency killed Family Guy.  Then again, FOX seems to favor non-scripted shows nowadays, so perhaps they'll treat WTB well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 10:58:16 PM by FeudDude »

whewfan

"What The Blank"
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 05:31:19 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:14 PM\'] Judy Tenuta IS available. [/quote]
 And with any luck.... she'll REMAIN "available".

I'm sorry, but I'll bet anyone on this group would agree that Judy wouldn't fit too well with ANY game show. Besides, she didn't exactly do anything to help keep MG 98 afloat for longer than one season. (The same could be said for the rest of the lackluster panel too)