Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So, who's REALLY "the most popular?"  (Read 1682 times)

SamJ93

So, who's REALLY "the most popular?"
« on: May 10, 2004, 12:16:59 AM »
Maybe this is just a silly technicality, but still something I've wondered about.

Both TPiR and WoF have, at various points, laid claim to the title of "America's Most Popular Game Show," or at least different TV tie-in products have referred to those shows as such.

Wheel, of course, is commonly the #1-rated show in syndication, despite the fact that its star seems to have burned out slightly since hitting its peak in the 80s.

On the other hand, Price's ratings aren't all that hot by daytime network TV standards, but the show has been on for 32 years and counting, 12 years longer than WoF (well, 3 years if you count the daytime version, but that of course is not continuous)...so obviously someone is still watching. (The Million Dollar Spectaculars are a different matter entirely.)

So, essentially, the question comes down to which is a more accurate measure of popularity--ratings or longevity?

--Sam
It's a well-known fact that Lincoln loved mayonnaise!

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 12:32:18 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 9 2004, 09:16 PM\'] So, essentially, the question comes down to which is a more accurate measure of popularity--ratings or longevity?
 [/quote]
 Additive height of the shows hosts.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 01:16:31 AM »
[quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 9 2004, 11:16 PM\'] On the other hand, Price's ratings aren't all that hot by daytime network TV standards [/quote]
 I guess being the #2 show in daytime TV isn't good enough? [And I thought at one point, around 2001 they were #1].
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 06:04:10 AM »
The only problem I see with TPIR ratings is that the Neilson ratings don't factor in the college students at the dorms that watch it on a daily basis tends to skew it a bit on the older side where as Wheel is shown virtually everywhere in syndication.  I'll say Wheel simply because it has more tie-ins than TPIR right now.

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 06:23:19 AM »
[quote name=\'Dsmith\' date=\'May 10 2004, 01:16 AM\'] [quote name=\'SamJ93\' date=\'May 9 2004, 11:16 PM\'] On the other hand, Price's ratings aren't all that hot by daytime network TV standards [/quote]
I guess being the #2 show in daytime TV isn't good enough? [And I thought at one point, around 2001 they were #1]. [/quote]
 IIRC, in 2002 there was a time where they were #1.

What causes it to be #1 at times instead of #2?

Weak storylines on Y&R?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 02:57:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 10 2004, 06:04 AM\'] The only problem I see with TPIR ratings is that the Neilson ratings don't factor in the college students at the dorms that watch it on a daily basis tends to skew it a bit on the older side where as Wheel is shown virtually everywhere in syndication. [/quote]
 1.)  That is not a sentence.

2.)  I would bet any money that the only person at Allegheny College who watched Price every day (or even anywhere close to every day) was me.

3.)  For the record, it's "Nielsen," not "Neilson."