Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Announcer Contracts?  (Read 2008 times)

gaubster2

TPIR Announcer Contracts?
« on: May 09, 2004, 01:42:39 AM »
Since Rich Fields is now the "permanent" announcer, does that mean he has signed a "long term" contract and what exactly does that mean??  2 years, 5 years, as long as the show is in production, what??  I always figured that Johnny had a position for life and back in the late 80s, I wondered how long Rod's contract was for.  How exactly do these situations work?

Skynet74

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2004, 10:56:03 AM »
I think you can stay until you either quit or you die.  I'm not attempting to be harsh or funny, but I actually think it's the truth. Very rarely do I ever remember permanent Game Show announcers being fired. If they give you the job then it seems that in most cases you've got it for as long as you stick around.

As for official contracts....... my guess is it can differ between talent. Depends what the announcers agent can work out with the Company. Randy will be able to answer this with greater accuracy than I can. But it varies.

John

FeudDude

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2004, 02:48:24 PM »
I read that Rich signed a contract to do the show through 2010.

EDIT: Here's the link to the article that says so:
http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories20...407234042.shtml
« Last Edit: May 09, 2004, 02:49:53 PM by FeudDude »

Skynet74

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 05:13:03 PM »
I found this interesting......

"Fields said he was told he was hired by "Price Is Right" producer Roger Dobkowitz on March 30, but was asked to keep it a secret even from the game show crew, with whom he was working on a temporary basis."

It was announced on this board on April 6th, but I wonder if the intention was not to have anyone find out about it until it was announced on air? Just curious. The reality is that it's hard to keep a secret from the astute group of people here. Roger should just be happy that we didn't find out the same day! ;-)

John

cmjb13

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 05:38:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Skynet74\' date=\'May 9 2004, 05:13 PM\'] I found this interesting......

"Fields said he was told he was hired by "Price Is Right" producer Roger Dobkowitz on March 30, but was asked to keep it a secret even from the game show crew, with whom he was working on a temporary basis."

It was announced on this board on April 6th, but I wonder if the intention was not to have anyone find out about it until it was announced on air? Just curious. The reality is that it's hard to keep a secret from the astute group of people here. Roger should just be happy that we didn't find out the same day! ;-)

John [/quote]
 I think it would have been awesome for Rich to be told that he was hired on-air without knowing.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvwxman

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 06:46:05 PM »
I can just see it now......

<lights flicker, images get wavy>

Bob (before another IUFB) : Rich, come on down! You've been doing such a great job as announcer, we have a surprize for you....we want to give you the job permanently!!!

<Audience roars, Man in Suit brings out contract and pen>

Bob : Rich,  give these fans what they want and sign on the bottom line!!!

<Audience : Rich , Rich, RICH, RICH!!! >

-------

Kinda like that scene in "Quiz Show" when Garroway offers Van Doren the Today Show contract right there on the spot....
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Terry K

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 05:12:00 AM »
[quote name=\'FeudDude\' date=\'May 9 2004, 01:48 PM\'] I read that Rich signed a contract to do the show through 2010.

EDIT: Here's the link to the article that says so:
http://www.thedesertsun.com/news/stories20...407234042.shtml [/quote]
 This tells me that they definately have a succession plan in place for Barker.  I don't see Bob lasting another 5 and a half years (sorry to say it, but I don't see him doing the show at the age of 86)

If they're contracting the announcer that long, there either has to be a provision to cover Barker's eventual retirement or they plan on paying Mr. Fields a good chunk of cash for a couple of years on his contract.  Even Barker doesn't sign those long-term contracts.

Its very unusual to sign anyone in Hollywood to a 5 year contract, unless you plan to be around that long.  

Here's a question for someone in the know:  I can guess Gene Wood was under contract to G-T for a period of time, but MG always found something to put him on (other than TPIR) to fulfill his contractual obligations.  Is it possible that Rich's contract is for Fremantle instead of just TPIR?  In other words, if TPIR goes away, they can move him to say Feud or another production of their choice?

cmjb13

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 06:15:03 AM »
This tells me that they definately have a succession plan in place for Barker.

I would hope so.

If they're contracting the announcer that long, there either has to be a provision to cover Barker's eventual retirement or they plan on paying Mr. Fields a good chunk of cash for a couple of years on his contract.  Even Barker doesn't sign those long-term contracts.
Barker does sign those long-term contracts (most recently a 5 year deal in 2001), but it gives Barker an "out" if he chooses to leave at the end of every year.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 09:03:44 AM »
Do you think his contract will be renewed in 2010 or is another announcer search possible?  :}       (I just wanted to be first to ask)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:12:33 AM by Jimmy Owen »
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Skynet74

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 10:52:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 10 2004, 08:03 AM\'] Do you think his contract will be renewed in 2010 or is another announcer search possible?  :}       (I just wanted to be first to ask) [/quote]

It will all depend on the needs of Fremantle. 6 years is a long time in show business years. Lots of things can happen. When Bob is no longer around then maybe ratings will nosedive and the show will be canceled. Maybe Fremantle won't have any other Game Shows in production for Rich. What if they only want Rich to announce on The Price Is Right and decide to hire Randy West or Burton Richardson for all other future projects. To many possibilities to even explore at this early stage of the game. Stick this question in your desk drawer and come ask it again in the year 2009 ;-)

John

Terry K

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2004, 06:13:28 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 10 2004, 05:15 AM\']
Barker does sign those long-term contracts (most recently a 5 year deal in 2001), but it gives Barker an "out" if he chooses to leave at the end of every year.
[/quote]
 I recall seeing on the CBS site that Barker 'signed' for another year of TPIR, and that led me to think he doesn't have a long term contract.

cmjb13

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2004, 06:57:05 AM »
[quote name=\'Terry K\' date=\'May 13 2004, 06:13 AM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'May 10 2004, 05:15 AM\']
[/quote]
I recall seeing on the CBS site that Barker 'signed' for another year of TPIR, and that led me to think he doesn't have a long term contract. [/quote]
 Actually the term is "agreed" to return.

Again, he signed the 5 year deal in 2001, that allows him an "out" at the end of every year if he so wishes.