Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Late Breaking News"...  (Read 8563 times)

Sunfox

"Late Breaking News"...
« on: May 11, 2004, 04:16:49 AM »
So, on Friday TPIR gets interrupted at about the 45 minute mark for CBS' "Special News Report". I'm mildly annoyed. Why couldn't they wait 15 mintues? But such is "special" news.

At any rate, the news keeps going and going. NBC desides to preempt Hollywood Squares (which immediatly follows TPIR). And then they preempt Family Feud. Now I'm getting more annoyed. No real gameshows for the day.

So, Monday comes around. I'm watching my tape of that day's TPIR, and all is going well. Then, at the 53 minute mark, right during the description of the second showcase, what should cut in but CBS' "Special News Report". They couldn't wait 7 minutes? Oh, joy! Now I'm *really* annoyed.

So, I move on to my tape of Hollywood Squares. Gadzooks - news! But at least they cut back to their "regularly scheduled program" at the 9 minute mark, leaving me with about 15 minutes of show to watch (the NBC affiliate has a nasty habit of running their local news 1 to 5 minutes into Hollywood Squares on even normal days, which urks me to no end). Plus, at least I have an untouched Family Feud.

If I see that blasted "Special News Report" banner ONE more time this week, I'm going to scream!

drmusic_99

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 10:06:39 AM »
If they waited until after Price, they'd be cutting into the affiliates' noon-hour newscasts, at least in the eastern time zone. And except in Detroit, where they'd be interrupting Millionaire. In any event, that's affiliate time, not network time.

zachhoran

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 10:15:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Sunfox\' date=\'May 11 2004, 03:16 AM\'] So, on Friday TPIR gets interrupted at about the 45 minute mark for CBS' "Special News Report". I'm mildly annoyed. Why couldn't they wait 15 mintues? But such is "special" news.

At any rate, the news keeps going and going. NBC desides to preempt Hollywood Squares (which immediatly follows TPIR). And then they preempt Family Feud. Now I'm getting more annoyed. No real gameshows for the day.

So, Monday comes around. I'm watching my tape of that day's TPIR, and all is going well. Then, at the 53 minute mark, right during the description of the second showcase, what should cut in but CBS' "Special News Report". They couldn't wait 7 minutes? Oh, joy! Now I'm *really* annoyed.

So, I move on to my tape of Hollywood Squares. Gadzooks - news! But at least they cut back to their "regularly scheduled program" at the 9 minute mark, leaving me with about 15 minutes of show to watch (the NBC affiliate has a nasty habit of running their local news 1 to 5 minutes into Hollywood Squares on even normal days, which urks me to no end). Plus, at least I have an untouched Family Feud.

If I see that blasted "Special News Report" banner ONE more time this week, I'm going to scream! [/quote]
 You're about to be told by some people in so many words that what Bush or Rumsfeld has to say(even if we might think of them as CHuckleheads) is more important than a game show. That debate has been going on in this online game show community since at least the outbreak of the Monica Lewinsky affair.

sshuffield70

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 10:17:47 AM »
Here we get TPIR and H2 back to back on the CBS station.  So I recognize both of those points.  Actually, we were interrupted during the third game for a local news story.

BTW, CBS here no longer has a noon news.  Instead they have a 4PM news.

urbanpreppie05

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:20:05 AM »
As much as the information is usually much more important than game shows- game shows aren't the end-all to everything...it is VERY annoying to have the show interrupted in the last 7 minutes. But, this is how things are.
insert signature here

dzinkin

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 10:24:15 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:15 AM\'] You're about to be told by some people in so many words that what Bush or Rumsfeld has to say(even if we might think of them as CHuckleheads) is more important than a game show. That debate has been going on in this online game show community since at least the outbreak of the Monica Lewinsky affair. [/quote]
 There are some who think of you as a chucklehead, Zach, but I wouldn't pre-empt a game show for you. :-)

Seriously, I don't care who's in the White House: a presidential press conference is news, especially when the nation is at war -- and as such it takes precedence.  A severe weather alert also fits into this category.  Thad Dixon and his ilk may think the entire world should grind to a halt so they don't miss their precious Showcase, but some of us actually give a rip about what's happening outside of the game show realm as well as within it.  We can always watch missed shows later -- that's why God created reruns.

Jimmy Owen

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 10:55:45 AM »
Look at it as a compliment to game shows. News bulletins during game shows at least assures there will be an audience watching.  You don't see them cutting into infomercials, do you?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

zachhoran

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 11:05:18 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:55 AM\'] Look at it as a compliment to game shows. News bulletins during game shows at least assures there will be an audience watching.  You don't see them cutting into infomercials, do you? [/quote]
If the news breaks during an infomercial that's airing on a network station, they will :) But news, domestic news especially, happens between 8AM-8PM EST than 8PM-8AM EST.

I would break-in to a game show for a press conference or other national or world news. I would NOT do it for a sports-based story(Philly stations have done this a few times) or to report on a celeb's legal troubles.

But what I'd REALLY like to see is the Squares finale on 6/4 getting preempted for some news at the local or national level, just to see the pissing matches certain posters will start over it
« Last Edit: May 11, 2004, 09:12:36 PM by zachhoran »

tvwxman

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 11:05:57 AM »
[quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:06 AM\'] If they waited until after Price, they'd be cutting into the affiliates' noon-hour newscasts, at least in the eastern time zone. And except in Detroit, where they'd be interrupting Millionaire. In any event, that's affiliate time, not network time. [/quote]
 Yesterday's special report at 11:45 eastern ran right into our noon shows...WABC pushed back their newscast until it was done, and ran a half hour newscast, overlapping into Millionaire at 12:30...

When news breaks, and the networks feel it's worth sharing, whatever is on....newscast, game show, infomercial...it will get bumped. Sorry kids, but this is far more important than a Showcase.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

daveromanjr

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2004, 11:11:13 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:17 AM\'] BTW, CBS here no longer has a noon news.  Instead they have a 4PM news. [/quote]
 KDKA, Pittsburgh's CBS affiliate, has the most local news of any station I've seen!

5AM-7AM: Morning News
9AM-10AM: KDKA Morning Show (news)
Noon-1230: Noon Report
4PM-7PM Evening News
11PM-1135PM: Nightly News

rigsby

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2004, 11:15:16 AM »
[quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:11 AM\'] KDKA, Pittsburgh's CBS affiliate, has the most local news of any station I've seen!

4PM-7PM Evening News
11PM-1135PM: Nightly News [/quote]
 That probably says a lot about the current crop of syndicated shows, be they game shows, talk shows, or other, if they think their best ratings bet is to go with so much news.  Most of the rest of their daytime lineup would be filled out by CBS's shows, yes?

zachhoran

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2004, 11:17:39 AM »
[quote name=\'rigsby\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:15 AM\'] [quote name=\'daveromanjr\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:11 AM\'] KDKA, Pittsburgh's CBS affiliate, has the most local news of any station I've seen!

4PM-7PM Evening News
11PM-1135PM: Nightly News [/quote]
That probably says a lot about the current crop of syndicated shows, be they game shows, talk shows, or other, if they think their best ratings bet is to go with so much news.  Most of the rest of their daytime lineup would be filled out by CBS's shows, yes? [/quote]
 Save for 10AM-11AM EST and/or 3-4PM EST(if they air Guiding Light at 10AM EST as a few other cities do), probably so(unless KDKA doesn't air one of the CBS soaps, but most likely they air them all)

Jimmy Owen

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2004, 11:29:08 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:05 AM\'] [quote name=\'drmusic_99\' date=\'May 11 2004, 09:06 AM\'] If they waited until after Price, they'd be cutting into the affiliates' noon-hour newscasts, at least in the eastern time zone. And except in Detroit, where they'd be interrupting Millionaire. In any event, that's affiliate time, not network time. [/quote]
Yesterday's special report at 11:45 eastern ran right into our noon shows...WABC pushed back their newscast until it was done, and ran a half hour newscast, overlapping into Millionaire at 12:30...

When news breaks, and the networks feel it's worth sharing, whatever is on....newscast, game show, infomercial...it will get bumped. Sorry kids, but this is far more important than a Showcase. [/quote]
 So, the news got interrupted for news?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvwxman

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004, 11:54:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'May 11 2004, 10:29 AM\']
So, the news got interrupted for news? [/quote]
 Yep. Bled right into our newscast seamlessly.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

J.R.

"Late Breaking News"...
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2004, 12:27:10 PM »
Sometimes, news just happens:

How did the Exxon Valdez know it was the last day for $otC ?
-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor