Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest  (Read 1338 times)

Brig Bother

Eurovision Song Contest
« on: May 12, 2004, 06:17:36 PM »
I'm intrigued. Outside of Europe, I gather this has a large following in Australia.

Does it get broadcast in the States?

Tonight was the first time they've held a Qualifying heat for Saturday's main final. We could watch it on BBC3 (a digital channel) but the main three-hour extravaganza contest always goes out live on BBC1.

Brig Bother

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 06:20:06 PM »
Forgot to add, I gather they're doing live streaming on the Eurovision website throughout the whole live show.

So if you've never seen it before and you're bored on Saturday...

inturnaround

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 06:40:11 PM »
It does air in the states, but it's on a channel that most people don't get. In the US, Eurovision airs on The Israeli Network, a Hebrew language channel available on Dish Network. According to the Eurovision website, it's also available to Puerto Rico on a station called MSN.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 06:40:26 PM by inturnaround »
Joe Coughlin     
Human

rugrats1

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »
For those of you with access to Canada's Star Choice or ExpressVu, RFO from St. Pierre and Miquelon carries the contest, at least, in the past. Don't know if any other Canadian channels carry it.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2004, 07:03:39 PM by rugrats1 »

uncamark

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 11:36:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'May 12 2004, 05:20 PM\']Forgot to add, I gather they're doing live streaming on the Eurovision website throughout the whole live show.

So if you've never seen it before and you're bored on Saturday...[/quote]
I assume it's the clean international feed they're streaming--I'd rather see BBC1's version, so I can hear Terry Wogan's often-disdainful (so I hear) commentary on the proceedings.

You can stream BBC Radio 2's live coverage at their web site, but I assume Ken Bruce isn't as crotchety as Wogan.

vtown7

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2004, 01:22:44 PM »
rugrats1: do you have any idea if RFO is broadcasting French Fort Boyard anymore?  I had heard at one point that they were.  Worth upgrading the dish I do believe (or asking friends).

Also... there was at least one year that TV5 broadcast it, I believe it was 2000 as I had been in Europe the week before and recognized some of the acts.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

Brig Bother

Eurovision Song Contest
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2004, 04:53:45 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'May 13 2004, 03:36 PM\'] [quote name=\'Brig Bother\' date=\'May 12 2004, 05:20 PM\']Forgot to add, I gather they're doing live streaming on the Eurovision website throughout the whole live show.

So if you've never seen it before and you're bored on Saturday...[/quote]
I assume it's the clean international feed they're streaming--I'd rather see BBC1's version, so I can hear Terry Wogan's often-disdainful (so I hear) commentary on the proceedings.

You can stream BBC Radio 2's live coverage at their web site, but I assume Ken Bruce isn't as crotchety as Wogan. [/quote]
 I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as "disdainful" - he loves it, that's why he does it every year, but certainly he's not scared to be very dry in his commentary towards many of the acts and especially the hosts and even more especially the voting.

It's also a tradition to try and work out how much he's had to drink between the beginning and the end of the three-hour extravaganza. And by that I mean in the alcoholic sense, obviously.

I gathered that in Australia last year they replaced the Wogan commentary with two home grown commentators, but the TV company had so many complaints they re-ran the entire three hours with Wogan's commentary put back on it.