Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Who's That Man?  (Read 2095 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's That Man?
« on: May 14, 2004, 02:29:15 AM »
Follow this link:

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/Cullen/shows/price.html

bottom picture, lower left corner. Tell me who the man pointing a pencil at Bill Cullen is.

I think I know.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
Who's That Man?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 07:16:58 AM »
I could be wrong.....is that Bob Stewart?
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

tvrandywest

Who's That Man?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 07:57:04 AM »
Don Morrow.

Don was the commercial announcer on the show while Don Pardo was the program announcer. An old practice.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

Who's That Man?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »
Interestingly, that wonderful shot comes from a LOOK magazine profile, and the gentleman is not identified.  I had once assumed it was Bob Stewart, but after seeing shots of Stewart on the Eye Guess set only a few years later, I dismissed that idea.

So what I'm saying is I can't give you a positive original-source answer myself.  But Randy sure sounded positive, and if that's also who Chris thinks it is, I'll certainly make a note of it.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Pyramid80

Who's That Man?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 10:14:25 AM »
It sort of looks like a young Mark Goodson to me.  But I am sure that I am wrong with that answer.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's That Man?
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 10:51:59 AM »
To me it looks like a 1950s version of Paul Alter. Ya think?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 10:53:57 AM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

Who's That Man?
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 10:58:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'May 14 2004, 05:46 AM\'] But Randy sure sounded positive... [/quote]
 I don't know when I'll next see Don (it's haphazard - we meet at auditions) so I'm not gonna carry a copy of the picture everywhere I go. But if you can find a photo of Don Morrow as the Shell Answer Man, or perhaps from "Camouflage", I think you'll see the striking resemblance.

If still in doubt, think it through: The guy is dressed for camera and is standing where he is lit. He's throwing a cue to Bill, but is obviously not the stage manager. Bill seems to be reacting comedically, which suggests that the cue is on camera (who else appeared on camera?). I can't read the cue cards, but the copy is so dense that it could likely be commercial copy as opposed to Bill's material. Yadda yadda yadda. Plenty more... certainly enough to have me reasonably certain.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's That Man?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 06:17:55 PM »
It could be a rehearsal photo. Directors used to wear suits to work, and I question what a LOOK photographer would be doing in that position on the set during a show. If the mystery man were sharing the screen with Bill, they'd be standing much closer together for a tighter two-shot.

Who knows ...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 06:21:18 PM by chris319 »

Robair

Who's That Man?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 06:34:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 14 2004, 09:58 AM\'] But if you can find a photo of Don Morrow as the Shell Answer Man, or perhaps from "Camouflage", I think you'll see the striking resemblance. [/quote]
 On page 112 in the EoTVGS Voilume 2 there's a pic of Don Morrow from "Let's Play Post Office" and I do not see any type of resemblance, especially regarding the shape of the head and the hairline.

I have to go to the Bob Stewart tribe on this one, guys,
--Robair

Jimmy Owen

Who's That Man?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2004, 07:13:29 PM »
To me, it looked like James Daly of "Medical Center." Far fetched, you say?  He did commercials on CBS TTTT.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Who's That Man?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2004, 07:22:52 PM »
This is fun! I'm sending a copy of the photo to David Schwartz for another $.02  !

Randy
tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's That Man?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2004, 07:39:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' date=\'May 14 2004, 04:22 PM\']This is fun! I'm sending a copy of the photo to David Schwartz for another $.02![/quote]
Do it!

I'll pay you when I see you.

adamjk

Who's That Man?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 06:54:40 PM »
I know this isn't it, but I swear the guy looks like Joe Pesci.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Who's That Man?
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 02:44:47 AM »
It's official! The world's foremost authority on game show photographs has confirmed the identity of the TPIR mystery man:

Paul Alter

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/Cullen/shows/price.html

Bottom picture, lower left corner. The man pointing a pencil at Bill Cullen.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 02:45:43 AM by chris319 »