Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Mad Magazine Spoofs TPIR...  (Read 1306 times)

Robair

Mad Magazine Spoofs TPIR...
« on: May 14, 2004, 06:28:06 PM »
I put this similar message up over at golden-road.net but since we seem to have more people closer to the source here I thought it'd be interesting to get everyone's take on it here as well. The new issue of "MAD" (with the "Shrek" cover) features a spoof of "The Price Is Right" called "The Prize Is Slight", which is a strange satirical take on the show. It's illustrated by Tom Bunk, channeling Will Elder in spots, and (this is where it might get touchy) was written by onetime Goodson-Todman employee Dick DeBartolo.

The five page story features caricatures of a wizened old "Bob Barfer" drooling, unable to hold the mic, with his teeth in a glass, and so on. The premise of the article is that a woman tries to lose her pricing game on purpose so she won't have to pay taxes on the car that's offered as a bonus prize. While the actions are unfolding onstage, two stagehands make side comments spoofing the show's conventions. One bonus prize is displayed which features a pack of Siberian huskies which (not being spayed or neutered!) spawn puppies and eventually eat the model alive.

It's really hard to tell where the reality ends and the spoof begins since this is written by a onetime "company man", Dick DeBartolo, savagely biting the hand that helped feed him for over 25 years. Surprising to see "Barfer" referred to in the final panel as "an aging egomaniac" by the supposed new host of the show, the much-younger Simon Cowell.  I know Dick never was associated with TPIR, and it's surprising to me he could come up with something that venomous.

The best thing to do would be to seek out a copy of the magazine and then buzz in with your thoughts. Myself, I thought it did not seem as good natured as the "MADtv" spoofs.
--Robair

davemackey

Mad Magazine Spoofs TPIR...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 09:44:44 AM »
"MADtv" (which Robair is a huge fan of) is a kinder, gentler satirical format that really doesn't resemble Mad the Magazine, and I think "MADtv" is better off for it.

Haven't seen the new spoof, but those of you with long memories (and the Broderbund CD-ROM collection) should immediately look for the companion article "The Price Is All Right", from MAD #51 (Dec. '59), in which the one guy reluctantly wins all the prizes because "all I like about this game is the bidding".

Almost as funny as "Spend Money Like The Government", with host Gene Slowburn (maddeningly illustrated by Jack Davis).