Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: 1975 Jackpot! - booing audience?  (Read 2621 times)

CliffColeclough

1975 Jackpot! - booing audience?
« on: May 14, 2004, 10:25:53 AM »
Does anyone have any idea what Steve is referring to in the description below (this is Beverley's post with respect to the chorus of boos that took place during the American Idol results show on Wednesday night)

"The 66-minute edition scored a 13.9/22 in fast national Nielsens, ending in the biggest chorus of boos on a network competition show since Geoff Edwards' Jackpot! in 1975"

Don Howard

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 12:12:40 PM »
[quote name=\'CliffColeclough\' date=\'May 14 2004, 09:25 AM\'] Does anyone have any idea what Steve is referring to in the description below (this is Beverley's post with respect to the chorus of boos that took place during the American Idol results show on Wednesday night)

"The 66-minute edition scored a 13.9/22 in fast national Nielsens, ending in the biggest chorus of boos on a network competition show since Geoff Edwards' Jackpot! in 1975" [/quote]
There was a column written by Stosh many years ago (which I see is gone from his archive section) about the audience's reaction when two players had the chance to win the maximum cash award of $50000 through the correct solution of a Super Jackpot riddle. I believe the riddle was this: "Part of me is present tense-the other part of me is past tense. What am I?". The player did not know the answer, which was "See-Saw". This prompted the massive booing spree. Next--according to the Professor--a nervous Geoff Edwards quickly called for a commercial break and the booing was still going on when the next segment started, continued through a few riddles, began again en masse when Geoff reminded the audience that on the next show someone might again have a chance at $50000 and this booing kept on going through Don Pardo's rattle and the credits.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 11:05:07 PM by Don Howard »

zachhoran

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 12:29:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'May 14 2004, 11:12 AM\'] . I believe the riddle was this: "Part of me is present tense-the other part of me is past tense. What am I?". The player did not know the answer which was "See-Saw [/quote]
 This riddle was recycled and reused as an SJ riddle on the 1989 revival, too, with the added words "and the kids love me"

aaron sica

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:46:41 PM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'May 14 2004, 12:29 PM\']
This riddle was recycled and reused as an SJ riddle on the 1989 revival, too, with the added words "and the kids love me" [/quote]
 Was the famous "He's a carpenter and I'm a shepherd" riddle ever recycled in any of the '80s revivals, if you know?

zachhoran

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 07:21:43 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' date=\'May 14 2004, 11:46 AM\']
Was the famous "He's a carpenter and I'm a shepherd" riddle ever recycled in any of the '80s revivals, if you know? [/quote]
 I don't recall it used. The only riddles as difficult as the SJ! riddles on the USA version were the season three "$50K riddles"(which upon answering one correctly, a King of the Hill would share in a $50K cash prize with other players answering such a riddle that season; three players answered one right)

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 09:34:01 AM »
I remember when Jackpot! had its original format on NBC in which the Super Jackpot was determined by selecting a random "Target Number" between 200 and 995 and then multiplying it by another random "multiplier" number between 5 and 50.  Once, a particularly low number came up for the "Target Number," followed by 5 for the multiplier, resulting in a Super Jackpot of only a few thousand dollars.

The studio audience booed over that, and host Geoff Edwards responded by booing them right back!  (What a show and what a host!)

Michael Brandenburg
(You sure that GSN wouldn't be interested in my proposal of a while back to revive Jackpot!?)

ChuckNet

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 11:02:19 PM »
I don't recall it used. The only riddles as difficult as the SJ! riddles on the USA version were the season three "$50K riddles"(which upon answering one correctly, a King of the Hill would share in a $50K cash prize with other players answering such a riddle that season; three players answered one right)

Here's a classic-era ATGS post that shows just how hard these $50K Riddles were...

Some $50K riddles, a la Google

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")