Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Last Daly WML panelist standing  (Read 2082 times)

Jim

Last Daly WML panelist standing
« on: May 18, 2004, 10:51:23 PM »
Recent weeks have been unkind to the house of Goodson.  Gone within a short period of time went recurring faces Peter Ustinov, Gene Klaben, Alan King, Tony Randall, Ann Lee, and Buddy Hackett.  This means there are very few people who ever appeared on the Daly WML not now at room temperature.  In but a few years, we will have the last person to sit on the Daly WML panel just like we have the last World War One soldier, the last former slave etc.  I was thinking of a list of the few remaining folks who donned a blindfold in the name of union scale.  As we can't leave it at an unlucky quantity of 13, are there any I left out specifically from the Daly version of WML who don't already fear the strip mining equipment coming a little too close?
- Phyllis Newman
- Paul Anka
- Frank Gifford
- Maryann Means
- Dina Merrill
- Kitty Carlisle
- Joey Bishop
- Betsy Palmer
- Steve Lawrence
- Sheila McRae
- Charles Nelson Riley
- Suzy
- Betty White

comicus

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 01:18:10 AM »
How dreadfully macabre.

TwoInchQuad

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 03:51:28 AM »
Well a cursory check over at the G-T Big 4 site:

http://www.kinescopes.com/G_T_big4.html

[Click on the WML? logo]

...reveals there are actually a fair number still around, in addition to those named earlier... it's not yet as bleak as it might seem, knock on wood.  :^)

-Kevin

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:34:06 AM »
I predict that these 4 will die this year from the WML? list:

Charles Nelson Riley
Steve Lawerence
Betty White
Kitty Carlisle

Those 4 are getting up there in age.  And I'm sure if any one of them dies, Ol' Steve will fill at least half a page on that person like he did with Tony Randall.

davemackey

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 08:01:55 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 19 2004, 05:34 AM\'] I predict that these 4 will die this year from the WML? list:

Charles Nelson Riley
Steve Lawerence
Betty White
Kitty Carlisle

Those 4 are getting up there in age.  And I'm sure if any one of them dies, Ol' Steve will fill at least half a page on that person like he did with Tony Randall. [/quote]
 Geez, that's just grisly.

Let's not turn this into a "death pool", folks. There are other sites where you can gleefully do that sort of thing.

Casey

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 11:11:23 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 19 2004, 04:34 AM\'] And I'm sure if any one of them dies, Ol' Steve will fill at least half a page on that person like he did with Tony Randall. [/quote]
 And exactly what would be wrong about that?  It is his web space after all... and it was a nice tribute to boot.

uncamark

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 11:27:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 19 2004, 04:34 AM\']I predict that these 4 will die this year from the WML? list:

Charles Nelson Riley
Steve Lawerence
Betty White
Kitty Carlisle

Those 4 are getting up there in age.  And I'm sure if any one of them dies, Ol' Steve will fill at least half a page on that person like he did with Tony Randall.[/quote]
All I could ask that he at least get things right.

In his Randall obit, he stated that the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcast is on CBS.  The Met has been self-distributed for the last 44 years (and was on ABC and its predecessors, the Blue Network and NBC Blue Network, before that).  And Randall was always a *panelist" on the Texaco's Opera Quiz segment, I believe--the late Edward Downes was the original host and I can't find out who's doing it now.

But I guess that's par for the course for the Perfesser--and he wouldn't want to admit that the majority of the stations carrying the Met nowadays are public radio stations.

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 11:35:05 AM »
Sure, the thread is a little macabre, but I find it odd and kind of interesting that we could field a TTTT panel of Tom Poston, Polly Bergen, Orson Bean and Kitty Carlisle today, yet so many of the classic panelists from the other two shows are gone.

When WML? was at its best, Tony Randall and Joey Bishop were probably the perfect fourth-panelists.  Witty, clever and not-too-serious, but less boisterously funny than Buddy Hackett or Victor Borge.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

JCGames

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 10:26:05 PM »
Actually the Met radio broadcasts were on CBS Radio from 1958 until 1960, when the Met and Texaco stared their own network.

And to make this game show-related, the original voice of the Met, the late, great Milton Cross, was for several years the announcer on Information Please, one of the first hit quiz shows on radio.

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2004, 06:05:29 AM »
I predict that sooner or later, they'll all be dead. You read it here first.

Jim

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2004, 11:07:09 PM »
Don, Nothing is certain in life.