Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Happy Larson Day!  (Read 5795 times)

tommycharles

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2004, 12:38:27 AM »
Can we lock this and move on?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2004, 03:43:00 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 20 2004, 08:02 PM\'] Well, let's just say when someone writes a report on a single insignificant incident in television history, I wonder how many marbles that person is playing with. [/quote]
 Sorry, pal, you're digging your own grave on this one. You're more out of line than I usually am, and that's saying something.

I was a radio / television major in college. We talked about the Larson incident in class, and in fact it's considered pretty significant in that he beat the game without violating any rules. So you're wrong there.

Then there's the whole "let he without sin" thing. Share with us, if you will, a list of the reports and papers you wrote in high school. I bet I can find one at least as uninteresting as you find the Larson incident. It's not about the subject at that level, it's about the process...finding a topic, researching it, and presenting to the class. I did one on the history of video games that you would probably find to be a real yawner...but I got an A, so you know where you can go if you don't like it.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

sshuffield70

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2004, 10:05:39 AM »
Also remember I'm a little older than you.  Heck, Larson was right before high school for me, while most of you were very little.  It got zero play at my high school. It got zero play at college, except for the times when the second ep aired on USA.  And even then, it got no play.  So, I'd have to say insignificant.

Now the scandals did come up in my broadcasting courses (yes, Chris, I have the same damn degree as you), but nothing was mentioned about Larson.  Which proves my theory about how insignificant it was the whole industry.  That was the original point I was trying to make.  The scandals were more important, and that's where I would have gone with the report, or how game shows (as a whole) have become integral in American life (which was thesis of previous said report).  But to concentrate on one thing from May 19, 1984 (and broadcast June 8-11, 1984) is outlandish to me.

zachhoran

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2004, 10:21:01 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 21 2004, 09:05 AM\'] Also remember I'm a little older than you.  Heck, Larson was right before high school for me, while most of you were very little.  It got zero play at my high school. It got zero play at college, except for the times when the second ep aired on USA.  And even then, it got no play.  So, I'd have to say insignificant.
 [/quote]
 Larsen's episodes got zero airplay from their original airing to their turning up on GSN in March 2003(as part of the documentary) and June 2003(when the episodes first aired in their entirety on GSN). Carruthers and Co. would not allow them to air in reruns, but the PYL rights have since changed hands to Fremantle, and I suppose the change in rights means Fremantle can lease whatever episodes it wants.

Matt Ottinger

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2004, 10:21:44 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 21 2004, 10:05 AM\'] But to concentrate on one thing from May 19, 1984 (and broadcast June 8-11, 1984) is outlandish to me. [/quote]
 As outlandish as continuing to promote a discussion board which has had a total of nine messages since last December, seven of them yours?

My point is that different things are important to different people.  The Larson saga may not have been the most important event in the history of television, but if you're going to create a report that you want people to find interesting, going into it believing that it really is that important can only help your case.

It sounds like this young man put a lot of effort and enthusiasm into this project.  I understand the idea that it may be a little goofy, but you're coming across like it's a crime against humanity.  Lighten up...or talk about it in your own group.

Oh, wait...
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

sshuffield70

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2004, 10:25:54 AM »
My point was that it is a little goofy to me.

As for my group, we've still not recovered from the Palace yet, and I can't seem to build web pages worth diddley squat.

tyshaun1

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2004, 10:32:42 AM »
[quote name=\'sshuffield70\' date=\'May 21 2004, 09:25 AM\'] My point was that it is a little goofy to me.

As for my group, we've still not recovered from the Palace yet, and I can't seem to build web pages worth diddley squat. [/quote]
Yes, you've said it before and you keep saying it, YOU didn't hear much about it, so it MUST be insignificant, right? Well, to him, it WAS significant, so he made a report about it and apparently it was well received. That doesn't make him any more weird than you acting like he commited an act against humanity. What's odd about this is that I thought you were a PYL fan, obviously I was wrong. BTW, Larson's run NEVER aired on USA.

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 10:32:58 AM by tyshaun1 »

dzinkin

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2004, 11:31:59 AM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' date=\'May 21 2004, 10:32 AM\'] BTW, Larson's run NEVER aired on USA. [/quote]
 True, but IIRC, the TV Guide article about the Larsen incident suggested watching USA to see the relevant episodes... so I'm not surprised that some think USA actually aired them.

J.R.

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2004, 01:08:40 PM »
Before this thread is locked. Please give me a moment:

I wish to appologize to Dougas for all the things I've said, I just got on a roll and wes feeling extra grumpy that day and I let my fingers talk before my mind. It looks like the school okayed this and you had a good time. I think I also forgot this is late May, a time when kids are almost out of school anyway.

And I wish to appologize to everyone here. I want this bickering to stop, we've all said some things we're not proud of. I don't want any bad blood between us, I want us to get along and do what we do best, discuss game shows. They're not my whole life, but it's the topic here.

OBGameshows: Rolf Benirschke once made an appearance on Davidson "HS"

Thank you
-Joe R.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 01:10:42 PM by JRaygor »
-Joe Raygor

TalkingHeadsFan

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2004, 02:46:58 PM »
The documentary, to the person who responded on page one, covered the entire history of game shows. If you could read, you'd figure out that "History" doesn't mean one day in May, 1984. To Joe, I accept the apology, not that it really makes a difference to me because I don't know you personally, but I still find it disappointing and ironic how people poke at the idea of a Larson presentation, yet these people themselves spend hours on end playing "virtual game shows" in graphical chats, keeping track of statistics of different shows, and debating over minute, insignificant details. Doing a report and trying to expose others to some of the fun that game shows bring should be the last thing people poke fun at.

dzinkin

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2004, 08:13:16 PM »
[quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'May 21 2004, 02:46 PM\'] Doing a report and trying to expose others to some of the fun that game shows bring should be the last thing people poke fun at. [/quote]
 Precisely.  Now, if you'd done this for, say, a graduate thesis, I might have serious questions about your sanity. ;-)  But you didn't... and I don't think you did anything wrong.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' date=\'May 21 2004, 05:13 PM\'] [quote name=\'TalkingHeadsFan\' date=\'May 21 2004, 02:46 PM\'] Doing a report and trying to expose others to some of the fun that game shows bring should be the last thing people poke fun at. [/quote]
Precisely.  Now, if you'd done this for, say, a graduate thesis, I might have serious questions about your sanity. ;-)  But you didn't... and I don't think you did anything wrong. [/quote]
 Hey, if he did it for a graduate thesis and PASSED, I wouldn't question his sanity, I'd praise his genius and wish I'd thought of it first. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Happy Larson Day!
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2004, 11:35:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 21 2004, 12:08 PM\'] Before this thread is locked. Please give me a moment:

I wish to appologize to Dougas for all the things I've said, I just got on a roll and wes feeling extra grumpy that day and I let my fingers talk before my mind. It looks like the school okayed this and you had a good time. I think I also forgot this is late May, a time when kids are almost out of school anyway.

And I wish to appologize to everyone here. I want this bickering to stop, we've all said some things we're not proud of. I don't want any bad blood between us, I want us to get along and do what we do best, discuss game shows. They're not my whole life, but it's the topic here.

OBGameshows: Rolf Benirschke once made an appearance on Davidson "HS"

Thank you
-Joe R. [/quote]
 I also apologize for my sarcastic jokes. I got caught up in the flood of sneers and decided to add one. It actually sounds like it was a cool report, and I'm for anything game show related that can spark a casual conversation among non-game show fans like us.

Again, my apologies and nice work. :-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!