Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Theory behind studio numbers?  (Read 1935 times)

cmjb13

Theory behind studio numbers?
« on: June 02, 2004, 08:58:49 AM »
I'm curious on why studio numbers were numbered the way they were.

For example, studio 31 at CBS.

Was it just a random number chosen or some sort of logic behind it. I mean there aren't 30 studios at CBS TVC. Or if there are, damned if I know.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 12:38:01 PM »
CBS had simple and logical numbering for their earliest TV studios in the 1930s. They were mostly located on the 4th floor atop Grand Central Station in New York, and the numbering was sequential.

But when CBS started to acquire the former legitimate theatres that served as their production facilities, it all became what seemed to me to be a truly whacky hodgepodge of numbering. It seemed especially confusing because of many anomalies such as Studio 50 (The Ed Sullivan Theater) being near 53rd Street, and Studio 52 not being on 52nd Street, but 54th Street. After 40 years I still can't remember which was where - kudos to Bricon and David Schwartz who can. ABC was similarly confusing to me. I know where TV15 was, but where were TV12, TV13, and TV14?

David reports that when CBS acquired the various theaters, they started numbering at 50 and went into the 60's; Liderkranz Hall was numbered 53 to 56. Adding to the confusion is that in the 1960's, when CBS got rid of most of the theaters, they reused some of the old numbers for new studios! Thus The Early Show originates from studio 58, but it's a different location than the studio 58 of the 1950's.

But to your question, and a surprising answer....

Network TV moved to the West Coast in the early 1950s; CBS TVCity and NBC Burbank were built within months of each other. NBC maintained logical numbering as they had in NY. Burbank is numbered simply #1, #2, #3, etc., now through #11. CBS had a grandiose plan that was never fully realized but made sense. TVCity was originally planned to have the potential to be a much larger facility, truly a "city" if you will, with the area that houses 31, 33, 41, 43 being just one wing. The numbering scheme had provision for similar wings, one with 11, 13, 21 and 23, another with 51, 53, 61 and 63.  The master plan had all four wings connecting at a hub closer to the center of the property, further East of the existing building, and atop the land where the newest studio building was more recently constructed. And no, the numbers of those two new studios is not in keeping with the original numbering scheme.

The master plan continues...

Remember that in the first decades of television there was no videotape. Programs were presented live, and consisted of primarily dramatic and variety shows - shows that usually required multiple sets. Remember too, that commercials were delivered live as well. Back in New York it became apparent that making major set changes during commercials was a noisy affair and not practical. Even trucking cameras and mike booms to a different standing set created noise that distracted from the commercials.

Television City was designed with a solution to that problem. Studio 33 with its sunken audience was to be one of the studios to accommodate an audience that would watch the live program. Studio 31 was not designed to accommodate an audience; instead, it was designed to serve as an auxillary stage for the same programs! 31's cameras were fed to the main control room in 33, and 31 was used for live commercials and sometimes for secondary sets. The program could switch between the two studios for much greater flexibility, which permitted set changes on the main stage during commercial breaks. The same was true for 41 and 43 across the hall.

It all begins to make a lot more sense out of the numbering scheme. The above is factual information straight from the mouths of the surviving original employees at TV City; stuff they agree on. There is additional conjecture that answers other questions about the numbering scheme, but much of it is information that is not confirmed by others. I think it best not to commit those additional unconfirmed details and theories to print lest they be cited as fact elsewhere.

OK, now go back to doing something meaningful. And to Bob, Andrew and their guests at the Game Show Convention in Pennsylvania this weekend, have fun!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 02:42:58 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

bricon

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »
Studio 31 was not designed to accommodate an audience; instead, it was designed to serve as an auxillary stage for the same programs!

I was under the impression that 31 was built with a sunken audience, and it was filled in later in the 1950's when more floor space for dramatic programs was needed.

cmjb13

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 01:58:43 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 01:49 PM\']
Studio 31 was not designed to accommodate an audience; instead, it was designed to serve as an auxillary stage for the same programs!

I was under the impression that 31 was built with a sunken audience, and it was filled in later in the 1950's when more floor space for dramatic programs was needed.[/quote]
I think you are right.

The layout of Studios 31/33 on the Studio 33 wall IIRC seem to display a sunken audience.

Plus where the sunken audience would be for 31, looks like it was filled in. It has a grey layer that is not consistent with the rest of that studio's floor.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tvrandywest

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2004, 02:25:32 PM »
[quote name=\'bricon\' date=\'Jun 2 2004, 09:49 AM\'] I was under the impression that 31 was built with a sunken audience, and it was filled in later in the 1950's when more floor space for dramatic programs was needed. [/quote]
There was consensus among the CBS "lifers" (Cappy, et al) at Rod's memorial service held in 33 that they clearly remembered the Jack Benny Show being just one of the programs originating from 33 that used another studio for commercials. Similarly, they recalled some of the dramatic programs regularly using a second studio for complex and large scenes.

In posting, I jumped to the seemingly obvious conclusion that the studios would be adjacent. But now that you mention it, I also remember my long-held belief that 31 was the other studio built with a sunken audience. Yet I can't imagine that studios across the hall from each other would be the obvious choices to be combined for a single program.

I now know what I'll be doing next time I'm at TVC - talking to the senior engineering staff... again   ;-)

I stand more confidently on the logic behind the numbering scheme... the original question. But I'll also bring all that up again next time that the opportunity arises with someone who has put in the years at CBS. The senior staffer at "Price" is Marty Wagner, but he's only been there about 28 years. I see Ray Angona fairly regularly and will bring it up with him next time.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 02:33:13 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2004, 04:57:55 PM »
I've been told by other old timers (Dick Nelson?) that 31 had a sunken audience which was later filled in.

Honestly, a 100' x 100' audience-rated stage with a 42' ceiling and complete fly gallery seems like overkill for what is being described as a satellite studio for live commercials. A space the size of a rehearsal hall with a low ceiling is all you need if all you're going to do are live commercials. Plus, I don't think in the '50s they envisioned a little ol' soap opera taking up two whole stages.

One guy to track down would be Bob Lawson if he's still with us.

macohen

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2004, 06:29:49 PM »
TV 13 and TV 14 are at WABC (Local) in NY