Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Royalties/Rerun Question  (Read 3426 times)

cmjb13

Royalties/Rerun Question
« on: May 19, 2004, 05:44:15 PM »
What determines how much in royalties a celebrity receives when their episode is aired?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2004, 06:22:56 PM »
SAG
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

tvrandywest

Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 07:31:33 PM »
Royalties are payments made to owners of creative properties... songwriters are a good example.

Your question appears to be about residuals, a different animal entirely. Producers of motion pictures and television programming become "signatories" with SAG and/or AFTRA, meaning that they agree to abide by the terms of these unions' (and other unions') collective bargaining with the organizations that represent the studios and networks.

When the owner of recorded entertainment generates income through the re-sale of a program, the directors, writers, performers and certain other craftspeople who were integral to the creation of the entertaiment share in the new income.

There are literally dozens of different contracts that detail different formulas for computing the minimum residual payments to be made; depending primarily upon the nature of the original production and its initial purpose (theatrical, network, cable, etc.) as well as the outlet on which it is to be re-broadcast (net, cable, DVD, in-flight, foreign markets, etc etc.). The Associate Producer on a show is the person who is at the front lines in knowing the various contracts their shows are produced under. And all those big buildings at the networks and studios are filled with accountants who do these computations all day long as movies and TV shows are continually repurposed.

In most situations, certainly those related to network game shows like TPiR or the network incarnations of "Pyramid", the residual is a percentage of the performer's/writer's/director's/etc's original compensation for their contribution.

And don't nobody try to screw with any of it!   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 10:24:36 PM by chris319 »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2004, 10:33:10 PM »
Royalties are payments made to owners of creative properties...
... or any intellectual property, notably inventions.

With Goodson-Todman shows, the people who don't get residuals are the producers and the writers. That's right, Ira Skutch and Bobby Sherman don't see one thin dime for any of the shows they produced, nor do the writers who wrote the questions. Every time an episode of MG '7x is rerun, Gene Rayburn's daughter (presumably), the estate of Johnny Olson (whoever that may be), the panelists (yes, that even includes Richard Deacon's estate when he appeared) and Marc Breslow get money but IS, BS and the writers don't. Go figure.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 10:54:35 PM by chris319 »

tvrandywest

Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 12:09:59 AM »
Damn shame, Chris.

The general assumption is that producers either have an ownership interest or were sufficiently compensated for their work at the time of original production. Yes, it is a flawed assumption. But who would a union representing producers negotiate with? Themselves?

And shame on the GT arrangement at the time that continues to this day on many shows by many production companies that deprives writers of their rightful due. The WGA (Writers Guild of America) contracts are circumvented by either hiring non-union writers or calling writers "researchers" or "segment producers".

But in the case of the GT shows airing on GSN, there is no great loss. I'm intimately familiar with the realities of the deal struck between SONY and AFTRA for the rerun of those shows. Because of the nature of the contracts that were signed by performers at the time of the production of those shows (some go all the way back to the pre-resid era) and the fact that GSN was classified as a "supplemental market" instead of a cable channel for shows in this deal, the minimum mandated re-use payments are minimal.

Several performers took advanage of the opportunity when the GT/Pearson/SONY/GSN deal was first being made to enlist the services of an informed and passionate agent. Those performers were reasonably compensated in individually negotiated deals. The remainder of the performers (or their estates) are being severly undercompensated imho.

It will all be a chapter in that agent's book. If he doesn't write it, I will when I'm ready to never work again! Hey, it's all just business in a new era for the industry. I see it all with a sense of humor and a shrug of the shoulders, possibly because I'm in the business for the joy of the work more than for the money.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 12:12:49 AM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 05:25:25 AM »
Ira Skutch, the most astute producer I've ever worked with in 1,000 years in television, is entitled to DGA residuals for the shows he directed. Let's see, there's Mindreaders and the Narz version of Concentration. What's that? Those shows will never see the light of day again?

Marc Breslow cleans up with residuals from TPIR, Match Game and the years of FF he directed. Paul Alter cleans up with FF, TPIR and perhaps some of the shows he did in New York. Add to that the six-figure Xmas bonuses and being remembered in Goodson's will, plus the appreciation on one's Beverly Hills home during the California real estate boom of the '70s and '80s ...

Then there's Bob Israel and Edd Kalehoff who get money for every note of music played on a G-T show they composed music for.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 05:26:20 AM by chris319 »

cmjb13

Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 06:05:51 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 24 2004, 05:25 AM\']Ira Skutch, the most astute producer I've ever worked with in 1,000 years in television, is entitled to DGA residuals for the shows he directed. Let's see, there's Mindreaders and the Narz version of Concentration. What's that? Those shows will never see the light of day again?

Marc Breslow cleans up with residuals from TPIR, Match Game and the years of FF he directed. Paul Alter cleans up with FF, TPIR and perhaps some of the shows he did in New York. Add to that the six-figure Xmas bonuses and being remembered in Goodson's will, plus the appreciation on one's Beverly Hills home during the California real estate boom of the '70s and '80s ...

Then there's Bob Israel and Edd Kalehoff who get money for every note of music played on a G-T show they composed music for.[/quote]
Breslow and Alter get residuals from TPIR?

There aren't any reruns shown with either of those 2 directing.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

zachhoran

Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2004, 09:54:16 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'May 24 2004, 04:25 AM\'] Ira Skutch, the most astute producer I've ever worked with in 1,000 years in television, is entitled to DGA residuals for the shows he directed. Let's see, there's Mindreaders and the Narz version of Concentration. What's that? Those shows will never see the light of day again?

[/quote]
Ira did direct Blockbusters, which currently is seeing the light of day on GSN
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004, 10:20:44 AM by zachhoran »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Royalties/Rerun Question
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2004, 12:24:26 PM »
Ira did direct Blockbusters, which currently is seeing the light of day on GSN
Well Zach, if I had included Blockbusters it wouldn't have served to make my point, now would it?

Paul Alter directed The Better Sex. How many times does GSN run that per day?