Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Break the Bank '85 Bonus Game questions  (Read 2403 times)

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Break the Bank '85 Bonus Game questions
« on: May 18, 2004, 12:30:58 AM »
Out of severe morbid, drug-induced curiosity, I pose two questions about the two bonus game setups from "Break the Bank."  

Regarding the first incarnation, for every stunt completed, the team would win one bank card and a prize.  Where the prizes revealed and linked to the specific stunt before the round began, or was all that taken care of after the team won their cards and tried to win it all?

Now switching gears to the puzzle format, what was the range on the cash amounts for the bank cards that didn't open the vault?  If the bank was $10,000; quitting after one card revealed $750 wouldn't be so bad, but if the cards were worth between $50 and $200, it would be silly to not try for the load.

Thank you again, and I once more apologize,
Travis
Travis L. Eberle

ChuckNet

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 01:24:38 AM »
Regarding the first incarnation, for every stunt completed, the team would win one bank card and a prize. Where the prizes revealed and linked to the specific stunt before the round began, or was all that taken care of after the team won their cards and tried to win it all?

In front of the area where each of the 7 stunts were performed (along w/the Number Jumbler) was a sign displaying the prize offered for that stunt, along w/5 bank cards...once a stunt was completed, the player took one card out of those displayed for the stunt in question.

Now switching gears to the puzzle format, what was the range on the cash amounts for the bank cards that didn't open the vault? If the bank was $10,000; quitting after one card revealed $750 wouldn't be so bad, but if the cards were worth between $50 and $200, it would be silly to not try for the load.

I don't recall cash being offered during the master puzzle format...it was generally prizes, usually worth $500 or less (a VCR, a trash compactor, a robot, etc.), if that helps.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

gsnstooge

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2004, 11:11:54 AM »
Even though I haven't seen an episode of the stunt format, I still think the Master Puzzle format was better.  I know off topic, but I am more comofortable with this than the "YOU FOOL" episode on Hollywood Squares.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 02:31:07 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'May 19 2004, 08:11 AM\'] Even though I haven't seen an episode of the stunt format, I still think the Master Puzzle format was better.  I know off topic, but I am more comofortable with this than the "YOU FOOL" episode on Hollywood Squares. [/quote]
"Even though I've never experienced A, I think that B is better."

Do you realize what a asinine statement that is?

(Actually that might be a bad way to put it. You can certainly THINK whatever you like. But to come to that conclusion with absolutely no basis on which to support it demonstrates a particularly refined ignorance.)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:34:07 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:48:17 PM »
Something I'd like to know is: How did the bank build ? They never say how on the shows I have.

Believe me, you do NOT want to see the Stunt format. Not only were they humilitating, but they got a age 60+ host VERY confused and befuddled. (Didn't help a clock was ticking)

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 04:10:46 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' date=\'May 19 2004, 03:48 PM\'] Something I'd like to know is: How did the bank build ? They never say how on the shows I have. [/quote]
 A prize, usually in the $750-$1000 range, is added to the bank each day it wasn't won.  I know this was the case for the stunt version of the show.  Even though I don't recall many Farago shows, I believe the same happened.

Mike
Ashamed to admit he thoroughly enjoyed BtB as a 10-year-old

weaklink75

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 05:44:05 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'May 18 2004, 12:24 AM\']
I don't recall cash being offered during the master puzzle format...it was generally prizes, usually worth $500 or less (a VCR, a trash compactor, a robot, etc.), if that helps.

[/quote]
 I do remember cash on some of the cards in that format. Most of it was in the $100-$500 range, but I also remember some $10 and $50 cards and a $1000 card once or twice. Most of the cards were prizes.

As to how the bank built, I think it was some cash and a prize added each day, with a starting value of about $20,000 in cas and prizes, including a car.

I always thought that second format was a decent game...if it had been the format from the beginning, I wonder if Gene would have stayed on in that show.

Michael Brandenburg

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 06:23:37 PM »
I guess I remember the 1985 edition of Break the Bank best among those who have posted in this thread so far, so here's how the two formats worked:

In Version 1 (the stunt format), contestants played for time to complete Beat-the-Clock-type stunts in the show's Prize Vault, with the first couple to solve two Password+/Super Password-type puzzles winning the chance to play.  Successfully completing each stunt won the player the prize connected with that stunt and an electronically-coded "bank card," which they could then choose to try in a "combination lock" for the grand prize of all the money in the "bank" for that program.  (The "bank," in this version, BTW, started at a combined cash/prize total of $20,000 and was increased by approximately $2,000 a day until it was won, with the increase consisting of $500 in cash and one or more additional prizes.)

The players could play for any prize at any time during their time in the show's "Prize Vault," and once they won a prize, it was theirs to keep, no matter what they chose to do with its corresponding "bank card."  Usually, after their "Prize Vault" play was over, they would be offered a cash buyout for their "bank cards," but the "buyout" option would differ from day-to-day.  (Typically, though, they would be offered the largest buyout for all of their "bank cards," and smaller amounts for whatever card(s) they may have left after one or more unsuccessful attempts to open the "combination lock" for the grand prize.)

I believe there were a total of 50 "bank cards" available in a game between those a player could choose from that were connected to the prizes and the extra cards that were available from the "Number Jumbler," which was connected to a randomly-selected prize in the "Prize Vault" (Selecting that prize gave the player a chance to press a button that would display a number from 0 to 5 on the "Number Jumbler's" readout; the player would then get to take that many cards from the card rack in front of the device.)  However, only one of those cards was worth anything (the "bank" amount for that program); the others were completely worthless!

When the players did choose to try their "bank cards" in the "combination lock," a gimmickly "code number" would first come up on the lock's display (such as "940162"), followed by the words "WRONG CODE" if the card was not the one that was good for the grand prize, and "BREAK BANK" if it was.  If it was the latter, the contestants retired from the show with their winnings; otherwise, they would return as "champions" on the next day's program.

In the "master puzzle" format that was used in the latter part of the show's run, there were actually two methods of play.  For both, the contestants first earned one "bank card" for winning the main game (which also had a minimum $2,000 cash payoff) and could earn up to 9 additional "bank cards" by solving the "master puzzle," depending on the number of revealed clues that were needed for a solve.

In the early episodes of this format (which I'll call "Version 2.0"), all of the "bank cards" were in one big rack.  The players first took from the rack all of the cards they won on that day's program and tried them one-at-a-time in the "combination lock" until they either ran out of their cards or until they succeeded in breaking the bank.  However, instead of code numbers, a description of a prize (such as "REFRIGERATOR") would appear on the lock display if it was not the card that broke the bank, and the player would win that prize.  ("BREAK BANK" would appear on the lock display as before if the player did select the correct card for the grand prize.)

Later, that format was changed as follows (in what I will call "Version 2.1"):

1. For a couple winning their first game, the card rack would have its full compliment of 50 "bank cards."  Out of those, 48 cards would have coded prize descriptions on them (unknown to the player until they were inserted into the "combination lock"), one would be encoded with the word "BANKRUPT," and one would be encoded with the words "BREAK BANK."

2. The couple would select the first card they won in the game and/or the "master puzzle" round (they could win up to 10 cards going in as before) and the card was inserted into the "combination lock."  If the display came up "BANKRUPT," the game was over, but the couple would return as champions on the next program, and if the display came up "BREAK BANK," they would retire from the game with the grand prize and their game winnings.

3. If a "prize description" of some kind came up, the couple could then choose to stop the game, take the prize, and return as champions on the next program, or select another "bank card" in an attempt to win an additional prize or break the bank (assuming they were entitled to additional selections).  If they chose to play on and picked another "prize description" card, that prize was added to their potential winnings, and they could then choose to either stop the game with their two prizes, or continue playing, etc.

4. The game would end when: a) a couple chose to stop playing voluntarily, in which case they would keep their prizes won up to that point, but forfeit any potential winnings from remaining card selections; b) a couple picked the "BANKRUPT" card, in which case they would lose all of their prizes accumulated up to that point and all of their remaining card selections, if any; c) a couple picked the "BREAK BANK" card, which would win for them the day's grand prize and end the game; or d) a couple selected all of the cards they had won on that day's program without picking either the "BANKRUPT" or "BREAK BANK" cards.

5. If a couple did not break the bank during play, they would return to the next program as the current champion.  If they then won a second game, they would play again as above, but the number of "bank cards" in the card rack would be reduced by the number of cards they had used in their previous appearance(s).  (For example, if a couple picked six cards from the 50-card rack in their first attempt in playing the game and failed to break the bank, then won the main game again the next day, they would start with 44 cards in the rack for their second attempt to break the bank.)  However, the "BANKRUPT" card would always go back into the rack if they were unfortunate enough to pick it during their last appearance.

And that's what I get for working second shift at IRS during that time, which let me watch those morning game shows!

Michael Brandenburg
(Now where's my "20 Years of Service to the IRS" commemorative plaque?)

zachhoran

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 07:29:06 PM »
[quote name=\'Michael Brandenburg\' date=\'May 19 2004, 05:23 PM\']

, and "BREAK BANK" if it was.  If it was the latter, the contestants retired from the show with their winnings; otherwise, they would return as "champions" on the next day's program.
 [/quote]
 Early in the run, it seems as though champs were not retired on a bank break. Gene mentions on one of the episodes in the trading circuit that the champs had broken the bank on the last show and won over $23K in the process. By the time of Farago's run, a bank break retired the team.

bandit_bobby

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 08:20:26 PM »
According to Chuck Donegan's rulesheet of this show, contestants could stay on until they won $75,000 or more or until defeated in the Rayburn era, and could stay on until defeated or until they broke the bank in the Farago era.

gsnstooge

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 08:36:46 PM »
Gene Rayburn said the producer wanted it to be deadly serious.  Because of the rule that any winnings in excess of the $75,000 limit were donated to charity, I would have been as serious as possible.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2004, 05:33:21 AM »
I clearly remember "Version 2.1".  It clearly was the best format though I didn't see the stunt one.  I was in Southern California back in the summer of 1986 back then.  Reading those rules makes me wish there was a Flashgames version of it to go with the Strike It Rich bonus round.

tvwxman

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 07:19:12 AM »
Good God, man, go back up and read CLemon's response to GSN stooge. Then maybe you'll understand why so many of us scratch our heads after reading your posts.

And if you want a Flashgames version of Break the Bank, make it yourself. No one is stopping you.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

J.R.

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 01:13:40 PM »
[quote name=\'gsnstooge\' date=\'May 19 2004, 07:36 PM\'] Gene Rayburn said the producer wanted it to be deadly serious.  Because of the rule that any winnings in excess of the $75,000 limit were donated to charity, I would have been as serious as possible. [/quote]
 I think I made this comment back at last years GSC.

If they wanted a serious host... why did they choose one of the silliest goofiest guys outthere ? (I mean that in a positive way)

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

gsnstooge

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »
There is one thing I FORGOT.  I have HEARD an audio clip of a BTB opening with Gene that ends when he is about to read the first question, but I still have not seen an episode with him as host.  The site was which I think is now gone, teletunes.org.  I might be wrong about the name of the site.