Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One Super Millionaire question  (Read 2205 times)

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
One Super Millionaire question
« on: May 24, 2004, 09:23:55 PM »
If a player enters the "next dimension" of the game, but time runs out before they use their Three Wise Men lifeline, when they return the next day, are they given three new wise men? 'Cause it seems like there's a bit of strategy in knowing what areas your wise men are most knowledgeable in.

And comments:

I still don't like the new first tier think music. It has nearly nothing in common with the think music for the $10,000 question and it also has little in common with the Ask the Audience music.

But I've got nothing against the remixed cues used when Regis is explaining the rules or recapping where the contestant stands on the ladder.

I'm enjoying watching to find out when we'll see the first contestant bring ANY of their original lifelines to the third tier, let alone the 50:50.

Three Wise Men isn't proving to be all that helpful of a lifeline, is it? I think there's only been one instance where the gang gave a single answer that was correct (as opposed to narrowing it down to two plausible answers).

Yet it also seems that they aren't giving the wise men enough time to think about and/or debate over the answer. Especially after Regis kills 8 seconds or so reading the question. I think it wouldn't hurt to increase the time the wise men get to 45 or 60 seconds.

Unless they start dummying up the questions, I don't think we'll ever see anybody win the top prize. The last four questions will all have the same difficulty as past million-dollar questions (as Michael Davies hinted at in an interview). And most of the past million-dollar questions have required at least a somewhat deep knowledge in the subject of the question. A contestant can luck out and get a million-dollar question on a topic they know inside and out, but to know a lot about four subjects on wildly different ends of the trivia spectrum? I just don't see anybody winning $10,000,000 without at least one blind guess, lifelines or no lifelines. Which, with the huge dollar amounts being offered, is probably as it should be.

Steve McClellan

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:27:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'May 24 2004, 06:23 PM\'] If a player enters the "next dimension" of the game, but time runs out before they use their Three Wise Men lifeline, when they return the next day, are they given three new wise men? [/quote]
 Yes. But they must return them when they're finished with them.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 05:45:31 AM »
Outside of the case where Professor Pat from Sunday night found a "unanimous consensous" from the 3WM regarding the body steroid question, that lifeline is about as helpful as a typical "wasted" PAF IMO.

As for the music, sure teir 1 is not as identical to the syndie version or the slight variant used in February, but it's kinda catchy.  The other ones I have no qualms except when the white lights start to turn blue as we "enter the next DI-mension", it gets kinda creepy especially when I see the top teir money scale.  I think I'm in a state of ambient hynotism there.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 05:55:51 AM »
Sorry, the Tier 1 music rocks, and rocks hard. Anyone who disagrees with me needs to be beaten with hammers repeatedly. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 09:20:17 AM »
First off, despite the lower-than-hoped-for ratings, I hope it does come back in November.  It would be disappointing to see this end after just two tries.  But one comment:  if it does come back, I'm wondering if they should tone down the "next dimension" somewhat.  After you've seen the white lights and the 360-degree pan several times, it gets a bit old and takes too much time.  Maybe they could just do the white lights, have Regis restate the money and go on to the next question...
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 09:28:36 PM »
But one comment: if it does come back, I'm wondering if they should tone down the "next dimension" somewhat.

I think maybe, since they've already began rushing things, they should cut the part where Regis goes over the money they could win (often for the second or third time that episode) in great detail. I mean, it's necessary to introduce the Wise Men...not so necessary to remind them that after two and a half million, it's up to five million and after that, blah blah blah.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 05:29:13 AM »
Or as Seinfold would say, "Yadda,yadda, yadda".

gtbecbp

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2004, 07:56:47 AM »
I didn't like the new Tier 1 music at first, but it has grown on me.  In fact, I really like it now.  The new think music is great as well.

Ben

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' date=\'May 26 2004, 02:29 AM\'] Or as Seinfold would say, "Yadda,yadda, yadda". [/quote]
Seinfold. Classic.

Or, as you might say, GEEZ!!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004, 11:44:06 AM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncamark

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2004, 11:51:04 AM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' date=\'May 24 2004, 08:23 PM\']If a player enters the "next dimension" of the game, but time runs out before they use their Three Wise Men lifeline, when they return the next day, are they given three new wise men? 'Cause it seems like there's a bit of strategy in knowing what areas your wise men are most knowledgeable in.[/quote]
The Wise Men are there for the show, not for the contestant.  If the contestant's the carry-over, they get a new set of Wise Men the next day, whether or not they used the lifeline before the horn the previous day.

Yes, there may be some specific areas a Wise Man could represent, but considering that it's always one pop culture journalist, one book-learning type and one previous "WWTBAM" contestant, there's always sort of a leveling inffluence.  However, if given a science question knowing that there's a NASA astronaut sitting [Regis] BENEATH THE SEWERS OF THE UPPER WEST SIDE! [Regis], if I don't know the answer and if I'm in the next DI-mension, you best believe I'll call for the Wise Men.